Houzz Logo Print
fines_gas

Electrical requirements near swimming pool

We have a customer in Florida that wants to install a Sedona hammered copper fire & water bowl next to their swimming pool. Are there any codes restricting them from using 120v electronic ignition?
Fountain Hero · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    HPC Fire
    il y a 7 ans

Every local code is unique to the area, state or country. Most that we have seen require low voltage (24VAC) within 10 foot of a pool. Just remember to check your local codes before starting the install.

• User
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

It is a common misconception that low voltage is safer than 120 volt circuits around a pool. This is incorrect, in part because of GFCI protection on 120 volt circuits. This GFCI protection does not "continue through" a transformer for low voltage. The transformer isolates the GFCI protection from the low voltage side of the circuit.

It is for this reason that a GFCI protected 120 volt receptacle is allowed as close as 6 feet from a pool, but low voltage is NOT allowed closer than 10 feet from the edge of a pool. (NEC 411.4 B)

Special systems and transformers that are acceptable for closer installation to the edge of the pool MUST be LISTED for the specific purpose. The transformer AND the specific appliance must state in writing that they are listed for use around a swimming pool, and at what distance.

Even to start entertaining the idea of putting low voltage closer than 10 feet from a pool, the following limits must be met. Keep in mind that almost all transformers connected to AC are also an AC output, and "24VAC" IS NOT ALLOWED closer than 10' from a pool.

Low-Voltage Contact Limit

• 15 volts (V) RMS for sinusoidal alternating current (AC)

• 21.2V peak for nonsinusoidal AC

• 30V for continuous DC (a battery for practical purposes)

• 12.4V peak for DC that is interrupted at a rate of 10 to 200 hertz

Even with these lower voltages, there are several other code requirements that must be met to make such an installation safe.

• PRO
    HPC Fire
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

We sell fire features across the U.S. and Canada, I was referring to the most common denominator that we have been told by installers; But as I stated Local codes should always be checked.

P.S. What is Article 680

• User
    il y a 7 ans

Here is 680 from 2008.

http://freenec.com/T534.html

There have been updates since that specify the type of transformer etc.

I will see if I can find updates later...

• PRO
    HPC Fire
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».