Houzz Logo Print
clubnev

What is the trend with backsplashes

clubnev
il y a 7 ans

I have a galley kitchen, doing white cabinets with granite. I have not picked out the granite but leaning towards something similar to those below.

The floors are going to be Happy Floors Neostile Silver which is the bottom picture with the tile on the left. I have a backsplash next to it. I won't decide on the backsplash until the everything is installed and the granite is finalized. Note that the grey in the backsplash is not as gray as the picture shows. It's more neutral in person.

My question is - what is the trend in backsplashes? Not that I want to be trendy but I keep reading how glass mosaics and bars are out, yet I see them for sale everywhere. I like the subway look but was hoping for something with a little more pop than that. But something neutral that won't compete with the granite. I don't want bubbles or circles or anything that is way out there. I am also not a fan of dark backsplashes, particularly in this kitchen because this kitchen will get no natural light. It will have plenty of light as we will have under the cabinet LED lighting and plenty on the ceiling.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. My style is transitional leaning modern with a coastal feel.

PS - the floor tile - I was considering the tile on the right but most the granites I picked are on the cooler color family. Also we have not ruled out quartz. I haven't found any that I really like. If we went with quartz, we would pick a plain one and then have a fancier backsplash.

Floors:

Commentaires (13)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    il y a 7 ans

Those granite slabs are very attractive! They are busy, so I would select a quiet backsplash. Since you say you are modern/transitional, why not use a glass tile in a larger format than the one you have shown? The larger the tile, the more quiet it will be--the one you show looks to be busy and would compete with the granite. Or go with the current trend of using the same granite on the backsplash as you use on the counters.

clubnev a remercié Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • clubnev
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks, I'll consider a quieter backsplash.
  • clubnev
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Would a gentle pearlized plain tile look good? Or still too busy with the granite? I'm thinking it would be too busy unless I went with plain quartz.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    il y a 7 ans

Could you post a photo of the pearlized tile? Depending on the size it could work.

clubnev a remercié Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 7 ans

I'd do the granite you love, run it right up the splash and skip the tile. And I'd choose a LIGHTER floor.

If you're really going for coastal, I'd probably not do granite at all, but that's a different topic.

clubnev a remercié JAN MOYER
  • Irene Morresey
    il y a 7 ans
    Love this stacked tile backsplash, love this kitchen
  • PRO
    LDK for Home & Garden
    il y a 7 ans
    I would consider using a white fireclay tile with gray crackle glaze. Subtle, but still adds interest without a competing pattern.
    clubnev a remercié LDK for Home & Garden
  • clubnev
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you for all of your comments. Diana Bier, I don't have a pearlized backsplash picked out. I see them in pics but they seem to be hard to find which makes me wonder if that look is dated.

LDK, I also like the white fireclay crackle glaze idea also. That used to be everywhere but that's another option I can't seem to find anymore. But it is a classic look (to me) and I've always loved it.

That was part of the motivation for posting this topic. What I loved before, I still love but can no longer find. I am not looking to be "on trend"; I want something that is more classic but updated.

Blenheimnewzealand, that is the look I am going for. Our cabinets are similar to that. Does anyone think that's too busy?

JAN MOYER, we are not "set in stone" for going with granite. We may also go with a quartz. I like your other posts, do you have any ideas?

This is a part time place for us with a possible resale in 10 years so classic is the way to go, I think, and I also realize that granite may not be the best choice since it is so taste specific. Then again I still like it and the slabs we are looking at are competitively priced with quartz.

The floor is a few shades lighter in person than that picture shows. Jan, you bring up a good point, a few shades even lighter might be brighter. I will look and post if I see anything that appeals to me. I'm going by the tile store today.

We were going to keep the existing floors and I have an older separate post about that. We demo'd the kitchen and found that the floor is not in good shape, and we have to replace the tile. Now I'm a little under the gun for finding a tile I like since we are under construction. This line (Happy Floors Neostile) is non-slip and it comes in other colors - a chalk white which we are using in the bathroom, a charcoal, a tan and a couple of browns.

Thank you again for your ideas, all of you bring up good points.

• PRO
    LDK for Home & Garden
    il y a 7 ans

check out Fireclaytile.com - wonderful people and great products!

• Maureen
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

If selling in 10 years, your granite is lovely, but very taste specific. I don't think you can go wrong with quartz and then your backsplash and flooring options are endless. I would be heading towards a classic, wider audience appeal and with the darker floor, it would be really sharp. A herringbone marble backsplash is one idea that would achieve a timeless yet modern look.

• clubnev
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thank you, I will consider that.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 7 ans

Nobody can stop the hands of time, but I'd consider a very calm quartz versus the granite. Zodiaq , Caesarstone..... Both have nice selections and I'd keep it very light and not be afraid of Zodiaq "Coarse Cararra, or Caesarstone "Frosty Carrina" and a simple white subway in 2 x8 or 4 x12 and use a herringbone or even just a nice 33 % offset installation, It's hard to argue with a classic.

clubnev a remercié JAN MOYER
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».