Houzz Logo Print
lexis2584

1940's Colonial Landscape Ideas!!!!

Alexis
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

What kind of landscape would you suggest? Also, the walkway leads to street, would you change to lead to driveway on side?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

We live in Mass

Commentaires (20)

• libradesigneye
    il y a 7 ans

Darling classic house. With your harsh winters, the evergreen shrubs against the house make sense .. maybe trim down the ones over higher than the bottom of the windows in the sun porch area, and plant some flowering hardy shrubs on each side immediately adjacent to the corner of the entry - katy korner off the corners with the lights .. you might think about digging rows of bulbs like tulips or narcissus on each side of that path - they won't mind the grass and they'll be gone by summer on each side of the walk when the grass can retake the area . . . .I love that it goes to the street .. I might add a tree .. not a bush tree, but a proper tree for mass - something like native white ash .. about 2/3 towards the street from the house .. on the wider side of the house with the sunporch .. If you can, start with a 24" box tree planted at the right time of year so its roots can get down before the hard freeze comes .. just keep lifting it by 1/3 as it grows .. . .

Have you considered painting your storm door black to match shutters or go charcoal for a degree of difference? Maybe even black on window trim to help tie the side area in a bit more - can see you have different siding whites so taking the trim and door in a charcoal direction might give the place a sweet punch.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

I would remove all the shutters on your Garrison Colonial. The bottom ones don't fit and neither do the shutters on the little window. You could consider doing something architectural to the bottom windows or just leave them plain.

I like the black door and agree with libra to paint the storm black.

I have a feeling the foundation plantings have been there quite awhile.

I spend some time looking at pictures on houzz of exterior of center entrance colonials to get some ideas.

Can't comment on the walk because I can't see the driveway.

I grew up in a house just like yours.

• Geneviève
    il y a 7 ans

You have a lot of space to do landscaping ,a bit of a curve

Plan #013S-0014 · Plus d'infos

would be nice too for the walk way

• Geneviève
    il y a 7 ans

Farm House · Plus d'infos

• Geneviève
    il y a 7 ans

This front lawn is ours

• chloebud
    il y a 7 ans

Love libra's black door suggestion. Also love Judy's pic of the light gray siding, white trim and red door. I agree with no shutters...just go with wide, white trim around windows. That would work nicely with the gray or other light-colored siding.

• Geneviève
    il y a 7 ans

Actually I like the shutters with the exception of that little one, they add character to the house , you could paint them if you like :)

• User
    il y a 7 ans
    Keep the shutters! That's part of the original character of this home. I love it.

I can't help with landscaping, I'm sorry. But I just wanted to scream don't remove shutters. Perhaps they need to be painted or tweaked to fit better (though I'm OK with the way they are). But don't turn your lovely classic home into a non-distinct one.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 7 ans

No, those shutters are not original to the house and some do not even fit properly. The windows are probably replacement windows and have no muntins (which would add charm to the house, if you could find them and put install them).

If shutters are important to you, only the two full single windows on the second floor can accommodate them. If you add them, go all the way with the correct install...add shutter dogs for authenticity.

You are looking for curb appeal...don't skimp.

Repose, A Virginia Country House · Plus d'infos

• Alexis
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I was actually thinking about painting the doors and shutters this color, thoughts?

Thanks!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 7 ans

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 7 ans

Love, Beverly.

• PRO
    Green Project
    il y a 7 ans

Your house is great! Full of potential! I definitely think a bluestone paver pathway over to the driveway would make a lot of sense given that there doesn't seem to be a sidewalk or any obvious on-street parking. Some color would give the facade depth and dimension. Beefing up the railings and staining (or clading in bluestone) the front steps would also have a great impact. Low hedges and some hearty topiaries at the corners of the house and next to the steps would be great for symmetry. Trees are critical here, also. Carriage lights on the porch need to be proportionate in scale. Existing lights are too small. I agree about the shutters. It doesn't make sense to keep them if they aren't the right size for the window. They're clearly not operable.

• PRO
    Green Project
    il y a 7 ans

Making a patio in the front that ties the driveway to the entrance may be an interesting look. I suggest square not round.

• Alexis
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Any Suggestions on exterior lights on either side of door?

• PRO
    Green Project
    il y a 7 ans

• Alexis
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Green Project, do you have link to those lights?

• PRO
    Green Project
    il y a 7 ans

These have a lean profile but still offer some 'heft' to give visual weight and they're not too frilly. If you're going to spend money on lights, make sure they make an impact.

• Alexis
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Does anyone have experience removing vinyl siding? We want to remove in hopes of finding what is underneath and restore. Any thoughts on what could be underneath?

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».