Houzz Logo Print
statusliving

Before and After: The Giralang Project

Status Living
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

The brief for this project was to modernise and refresh a dated 1970’s house both internally and externally, whilst still maintaining the homes original unique and architecturally designed characteristics.

Internally, the client wanted to create an open, modern, light-filled home that both flowed and was functional, and to remedy the existing floor plan, which was dark, cramped and impractical. Working with the designer, we were able to completely reconfigure the home including: moving majority of the internal walls; excavating the subfloor to create internal access to a previously external laundry; replacing the spiral staircase with a more practical and safer U-shaped staircase; removing parts of the second storey floor to create a double height ceiling in the entry; and creating a spacious master retreat with walk through robe and ensuite. A range of high quality inclusions have been incorporated in the home including a massive 4.4 metre long stone kitchen bench top, carrara marble back splash, carrara marble flooring, Clipsal Zen light switches and solid Victorian Ash timber flooring. To create a more energy efficient and comfortable home for the clients we replaced the existing windows with double glazing, installed a new 3.5 metre north-facing sliding door and added extensive insulation throughout, taking the home from a 0.5 Energy Efficiency Rating, to 6.5.

The home is located prominently in the street, and sits elevated on the site, and the clients wanted to update the exterior to take advantage of this positioning. This involved a large amount of work including: installing new Silver Top Ash cladding to both the new extension and existing entry; replacing old cladding with rendered 100mm foam cladding; removing the dated metal parapet and extending the existing brick walls to create new parapets; and either rendering or painting all parts of the remaining brickwork.

Before (3 photos):

The Giralang project · Plus d'infos

After (7 photos):

Commentaires (20)

• spmm
    il y a 7 ans
    Looks great, especially the kitchen.
    concerned about the loss of shelter around and over the front door, people do still walk, nothing worse than standing in the rain and wind fumbling with keys.
    Or welcoming guests who have walked up from parking spots.
  • PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely a good point spmm. It wasn't a huge concern for the owners as they enter the house through the garage, but as you mentioned, something to keep in mind for guests. We are still planning the front landscaping with the owners and will be looking at incorporating some shelter through that.

• John Henson
    il y a 7 ans
    Looks great. Can I ask the name of the black used.
  • PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks John! Do you mean for the paint colour? Externally is was matched to Colorbond Monument. Internally it was British Paint's Rhino Grey.

• Jess Anitoni
    il y a 7 ans
    Fantastic!! Would you tell me where you got lighting above breakfast bar? Love
  • PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Jess. The black lighting above the island is a track system from Beacon Lighting - this is the spotlights used: http://www.beaconlighting.com.au/ledlux-action-1-light-black-cylinder-track-spot-in-warm-white.html 

The light on the splash back Hera LED lighting which our joiner custom built built into the timber strip. It is from Lincoln Sentry http://www.lincolnsentry.com.au

• PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

It doesn't seem to want to link properly but it is the spot light called "

LEDlux Action 1 Light Dimmable Black Cylinder Track Spot in Warm White"

• Deanne Scott
    il y a 7 ans

I drive past this house everyday and you have done a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing, it looks amazing.

• Kristen
    il y a 7 ans

Jaw-dropping! How stunning!

Can I ask what white is used on the front of the property? I have painted my back fence in monument and am looking to paint my shed white.

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    il y a 7 ans

I have no words!! Love this so much, great job.

Status Living a remercié Gioenne Rapisarda
  • PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Kristen. The white is Haymes Bond white - it's looks great with the Monument!

• Khanh Nguyen
    il y a 7 ans

Nailed it! Love the cohesive use of matte black fixtures

Status Living a remercié Khanh Nguyen
  • Christian Biggs
    il y a 7 ans
    Amazing result, inspires me to do the same. May I ask roughly how much was the renovation?
  • cassady66
    il y a 7 ans

It is certainly outstanding project. Can we please ask what was used for the splash back panel in kitchen.

• PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi dregger21, the cost was about $300k but there was a lot of major work done on the house - the external brickwork was almost the only thing that stayed!

• PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hi cassady66, the splash back is one peice of Carrara marble. We ended up switching between a couple of choices so we find a peice big enough so that we didn't need to put in a join.

• PRO
    Chadwick Designs
    il y a 7 ans

This is mad!! Well done Status Living. Love that you guys totally met the brief and respected the original building. Wish there were more renovations like this rather then knock downs and cheap average rebuilds! Bravo
    Chadwick Designs team

• PRO
    Status Living
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks Chadwick designs - we totally agree! Love the character that comes with renovating an original building!

• PRO
    Architekt Homes
    il y a 7 ans
    Nice work, came up really nice!
    Status Living a remercié Architekt Homes
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».