Houzz Logo Print
helen_elliott

Help choosing paint colour/s for hallway and landing space

Helen Elliott
il y a 7 ans

Hi,

I'm trying to decide on a colour or colours for my hallway and landing space. There is a dado rail separating the space so could potentially do one colour below and another above. I've considered a dark grey/blue below and brilliant white all above, but have seen quite a few pictures of hallways where they have used the same colour above and below which looks great. I'm just worried about making the space too dark. I'm also not sure about using brilliant white - will it create too much of a contrast? It gets a decent amount of light from the landing window but isn't flooded with light. Ive attached some pics of the space and also some of the ideas I like the look of...any advice greatly appreciated!

Commentaires (14)

• Helen Elliott
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you - very useful decorating tool you have! We would keep the ceiling white up until it bends above the stairs, but I definitely see your point and agree going light above would be better. thank you!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    il y a 7 ans

Hi Helen,

What a beautiful hallway space you have with lots of
    original features. I would recommend painting the whole of the wall (above and
    below your dado rail) in the same colour. Dulux Grey Steel 2, from our Amazing
    Space Paint range is a lovely, soft calming grey, which will not make your
    hallway seem dark, but will retain a light and airy feel. I’d go for the
    durable finish in matt as it’s fantastic in hallway spaces, as it is
    hardwearing and you can wipe away any marks without removing the colour. Below
    is the link to see what you think:

http://bit.ly/2gpir1p

I would keep your ceiling, dado rail and woodwork in white
    to add extra brightness and freshness to the space. If you still want to go
    with a different colour above and below your dado rail, you could choose to go
    with a darker grey below the rail-such as Grey Steel 1, and a lighter version
    of the same palette using Grey Steel 2 or 3 above the rail. This way you will
    not get such a stark contrast between the grey and the white. To visualise what
    this would look like in your hallway, why not download our Visualiser App,
    where you can photograph your space and drop colours in to see how this looks
    in real life. It’s free and really easy to use, just click on the link below to
    find out more and download:

http://bit.ly/1bhVWED

Good luck with the decorating, and if you need any further
    help, just let me know.

Best wishes,

Michelle
    Dulux Design Expert
    www.designer.duluxamazingspace.co.uk

Helen Elliott a remercié Dulux Amazing Space
  • mcpeeple
    il y a 7 ans
    Funnily enough, ive just painted my dark Edwardian hall/landing in similar colours - brilliant white on ceiling above dado and dado rail, and Dulux Coastal Grey below the dado. Its really brightened it up and Im really pleased with it. Ive attacheda couple of pics.
    Helen Elliott a remercié mcpeeple
  • Helen Elliott
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Wow your hallway looks great mcpeeple - thanks so much for the inspiration. Currently testing out a Valspar colour so going to see how that looks at different times of the day. It's no easy task choosing paint!!

• A S
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi, I'm currently going through the same issue, Trying to find the right combo of paints to paint the hallway. I am looking to panel the part beneath the dado to prevent the ever so frustrating scuffing which occurs at sharp corners and am unsure on the colour combo.

I was considering grey and white too but I'm scared that it may make the space feel too cold and dull especially as the only light will be through the door which won't be much.

What colour combo's would you recommend to make the space feel luxurious and modern, yet not too clinical and cold?? I'd like the paint to be dulux preferably.

what is the quality of Valspar paint like, I've seen it at DIY stores but don't know if it reaches standard of dulux? any reviews??

thanks
  • A S
    il y a 7 ans
    This is what I initially choose but think that the space may feel to enclosed and cold.
  • Soraya
    il y a 7 ans
    In my current home as well as the previous one we painted the section under the dado white. We also put anaglypta wallpaper under the dado to add some interest (the houses had textured wallpaper under the dado originally) and painted above the dado in a coloured paint. If you have a large mirror by the door and lighter artwork on the walls you can go for a dark colour it makes a real impact and can create a wonderful first impression.
    Helen Elliott a remercié Soraya
  • PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    il y a 7 ans
    Personally I would stick to one colour above and below, especially because you have quite a low ceiling height. Using two colours will further bring the height down.
    I like the colour you tested on your walls, that's a really great neutral which will give a great background for pictures or artwork.
    Helen Elliott a remercié ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
  • Marylee H
    il y a 4 ans

From Michelle Ogundehin’s Insta Page

• Marylee H
    il y a 4 ans

I like the idea of the same colour in 2 different finishes.

• minipie
    il y a 4 ans

We have grey/green eggshell below the dado (I wanted eggshell for the slight sheen, wasn’t brave enough for full gloss!) and white emulsion above the dado (trade white not brilliant white - less cold).

It looks good but I have to say, it’s quite a lot darker than previously when it was all white, especially on non sunny days. On the plus side, it shows marks a lot less.

I certainly wouldn’t want the whole lot in the grey/green colour, it would be really gloomy. If you decide you want the same colour above and below I would go for a paler blue/grey.

• User
    il y a 4 ans

This post is over 2 years old

• User
    il y a 4 ans

*3 years old

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».