Houzz Logo Print
winniefrog

A very sad looking prayer plant

winniefrog
il y a 7 ans

So yeah. A housemate gave me his prayerplant, because he didn't want to take care of it. When I got it, it didnt't get any water for about a month. It was nearly dead. That's anothermonth ago and now it's not doing worse, but also not really any better. It has a new leaf and it's colours are somewhat more intense (it's a red-veined). I want to save it, but I'm beyond my knowledge now. Does anyone have some tips?
- I have a north-west facing window, it's about two meters from the window (because it's cold at the window-side of my room.
- When I got it I clipped off the dead leaves
- There's another prayer plant (rabbit's ear) next to it and that one is doing fine. I water them the same, but the red veined abit less because it's a smaller plant.
- It's in a pot that's large enough for his roots and I put a stick in it to keep it up.
- I never flooded when watering.

Commentaires (13)

• winniefrog
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Here are some pictures, the left ons os the new one, and the right one is an older surviving one.
    I see the picture won't load, I'll put a dropboxlink beside it and try to upload direct later.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9ld5w6evblt8su/zielige%20plant.png?dl=0

• MrBlubs
    il y a 7 ans

Here's your pictures

The soil looks quite heavy. What do you mean when you say you don't flood them when watering?

• Danielle N
    il y a 7 ans

The only way I can keep these humidity love plants happy is by growing them in a pot within a jar or under a dome. Do you have a big glass cookie/flour jar you could put it in?

• PRO
    puaarchitects
    il y a 7 ans

Hii Everyone,

I am new here.

Very nice pics I am very intrested this forum.

• winniefrog
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks Blubs! By flooding I mean giving it so much water that it drips oit of the bottom. I usuallybwter it when the visible dry soil is about 4cm from the stem.

And Danielle, that's a nice one! My room is not that humid, so this might be a solution! A cookie jar would be a bit small, but I should be able to find a vase that size.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

I think it needs more light. My prayer plant is next to a window where it's cold, and it does great. In fact, over the winter, I've had many plants on the window sill where it's cold and they're fine. Prayer plants like being kept moist, but not over or under watered.

• andreap
    il y a 7 ans

Maybe try watering just from the bottom? I too understand they like humidity. I place mine next to other plants and not too much sun. I thought mine was a goner last spring and planted it outside in the ground (lots or heat and humidity here ) in mostly shade and it grew back by late summer. Potted it up in fall. It has been growing new leaves since I brought it inside. Are these fussy plants or what? I may try the glass cover too.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    il y a 7 ans

Carefully tear off all the damaged leaves and cut back any straggly stems. water with half strength Miracle Gro. Keep soil moist but not wet. Put the plant closer to a window for more light. Mine is next to a very cold window facing northwest and it thrives, even in a dry house. Wish you luck.

• winniefrog
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Sadly there's not a lot of heat outside here, haha.

By damaged: do you mean dead leaves or also the very dried out ones that won't unfold?

Also! It now has a second healthyish leaf! One of the old leaves unfolded and got a healthy colour. It still has white spots though. I changed its location to a table with a lot of sun on which my other prayer plant was doing really well. But hey, the other plant didn't go a month without water...

• susanzone5 (NY)
    il y a 7 ans

Dead and dried out ones. Start fresh. Give it a chance to regrow.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    il y a 7 ans

You need to change how you water. If water doesn't come out the bottom when you water, then those sips you give it aren't enough. Put the pot in a bucket, fill the bucket up to the top of the sides of your pot and let it soak for 10 minutes. Lift it out and let it drain completely before putting it back on its tray. Note the heft of the pot when you are done and water again when you notice it being much lighter.

tj

• Mentha (East TN, Zone 6B-7A)
    il y a 7 ans

I question the soil. Stick a finger in the soil and see if there is any moisture in there. I am more inclined to say the soil is too retentive. That soil is very heavy. I would lighten it up quite a bit with perlite.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».