Houzz Logo Print
kgarci15

Paint mantle or not?

kgarci15
il y a 7 ans
What color would you suggest painting the mantle? or should I leave it alone?

Commentaires (17)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    il y a 7 ans

It would be very helpful to know what the rest of the room looks like....Is there any other wood or painted wood....? What do the windows look like? Are they painted wood or wood finish? Is there crown molding or baseboard in the room?

• kgarci15
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    The room is under renovation now. But there is white crown molding and Window moldings are white too. Color on walls will be a grayish beige color.
  • kgarci15
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    White baseboards as well and wood floors.
  • kgarci15
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    This a pre renovation picture. The floors are the same.
  • Sherly
    il y a 7 ans

I would paint it!

• PRO
    Bespoke Fine Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

If you can stomach a little project, I would watch some videos of how to do a distressed paint finish. I think it would help give the room some character if it were distressed. regardless of whether you do that or not, DO PAINT IT.

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 7 ans

The dentil detail on the mantel makes it a classic look. If you paint it to match the other trim and add a glass doored cover to the firebox opening, you'll have a very upscale look. Replacing the brick supports with corbels will pick it up another notch. Painting the brick white to might look even better, but that can wait until you see how the re-done mantel goes.

Texas Large Wood Corbel, Maple · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

I would paint the brick and leave the wood mantel (maybe refinish it)

• westegg10
    il y a 7 ans
    Paint the brick white. Paint the inside of the firebox with black stove paint. Paint the mantle black or white.
  • PRO
    Ideas + Design
    il y a 7 ans

I agree with Decoenthusiast - painting the mantel will help a lot, adding corbels even more, then see how it looks. If you have any other touches of black, use black - otherwise white like the rest of the trim. If you have anything in the room that picks up the brick tones ( like the tones in the floor), it might look just fine unpainted (but definitely clean the soot off above the firebox).

Painting the brick is relatively easy and you can choose the right colour once the room is done. You may want to paint the grout a different colour, which is time-consuming but not hard.

Be sure to post after photos for us

• kgarci15
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Wow! Thank you for all the ideas. I think the corbels would looks great.
    I want to clean up the brick. What are some products or natural products that I could use to clean the brick?
  • karielen
    il y a 7 ans

I would consider painting it a cream color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

if you don't want to actually 'paint' the brick, consider a whitewash. pretty easy to do and plenty of how-to's out there.

I can't vouch for this method, but she explains how she did it.

http://lovesthefind.com/2016/01/how-to-whitewash-brick/

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

Perhaps you can keep the mantle dark and just paint the bricks a lighter color? Here in our design, you can see how we used a dark mantle with white around it.

Leeward Renovation · Plus d'infos

• kgarci15
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    I like the look of a natural brick fireplace. I think the painted look is nice too, but I think I'll be keeping the brick as is. I'll clean it up and I'll see how the wood mantle looks. If it blends in too much them I'll probably paint it white. The renovation has begun and the paint will go up soon. Thanks for all your help. You all have wonderful ideas and I'm so thankful for this site.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».