Houzz Logo Print
kim_adams88

Need help picking a backsplash to go with Toblerone Quartzite.

Kim Adams
il y a 7 ans

We are at the home stretch of rebuilding our home after the August floods in Louisiana. I picked this beautiful Toblerone Quartzite for kitchen, it more on the grey side. We have white shaker style cabinets and walnut wood flooring, bronze cabinet pulls, brushed nickel sink faucet. But am having a hard time with backsplash. Pre-flood we had travertine backsplash and I LOVED it, not sure if it would go with this slab. I appreciated any advice.

any advice

Commentaires (40)

• Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Here is my kitchen
  • Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

White subway tile. With white grout.

According to Maria Killam...

"If the cabinets were white and your countertop is taupe and cream, then I would probably choose white to go with the cabinets (and ignore the countertop) because a backsplash is more visual. You could also choose a taupe backsplash but it’s hard to get the undertones right with hard finishes because you don’t have 10 options, you only have 1 or 2 if you’re lucky.

Back to the point of my point. If you feel you have to LOVE every single hard finish that goes into your house, you will most likely end up with a mess."

Kim Adams a remercié Kathi Steele
  • Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

I was thinking about white subway tiles, but they seem to be too white, as our cabinets are painted Behr Swiss coffee. If I were to go with gray glass subway tile, what color grout? White? It is kind of hard to see in the pics but the slab has cooler undertones and is much more gray.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    il y a 7 ans

I would suggest getting into a tile store and see what you are drawn to... all of us on here will have our own opinions of what we think should go there but we don't live at your house! Get samples and put them up there to see how it changes throughout the light of the day and into the night... start simple - do you want a shiny tile like a subway or glass or do you want a matte finish? What shape appeals to you? Forget about grout til you find a tile! Also do you keep a lot of stuff on the counters? If yes, then don't waste a lot of money on tile you won't see alot of ... if you keep a pretty clean counter then ramp up some drama... personally I am tired of white subway tiles with white or off white grout.... just seems so done....

Get to a tile store or even your local big box and bring some samples home... you have to start somewhere!

Good luck and have fun!

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Obviously yellow triangles.

(or gray glass mosaic with white grout could be nice too)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    il y a 7 ans

Just a few splashes some of my customers have chosen!

Kim Adams a remercié Debbi Washburn
  • Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

thank you for adding the pics , helps a lot! Yes I'm going after work and will pick up some samples and go from there. Again thank you :)

• Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

Bring home lots of samples, see them at different times of the day in different lights. Best to match the cabinets. Grout should match the tile unless you want every single solitary tile to stand out.

• leelee
    il y a 7 ans

Kim Adams a remercié leelee
  • Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    I'm thinking this mosaic Grecian white tile... thoughts , comments welcome
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

beautiful top. NO on those squares. you need something larger.

or this dark green glass Loft, seafoam, polished 3X12, tilebar.com

the subway tiles on the bottom part of this tile layout. sort of a slight greenish-gray tone crazing

Ming Green marble tile:

white beveled thassos subways

• leelee
    il y a 7 ans

The squares look like a shower floor. Don't go there.

• leelee
    il y a 7 ans

Just noticed that you have 4 or 5 different types/sizes of pulls/knobs/closures on your cabinets and drawers.

• PRO
    Clarice Reyes
    il y a 7 ans

I'd suggest white marble subway tile or white glass mosaic. Both are light colours giving your kitchen a very clean and updated look. :)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    il y a 7 ans

I think it is subjective - I actually like those small mosaics! Maybe see what other shapes that coloring comes in...

Something like this might be nice...

Good luck!

• Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks for all the feedback much appreciated! I will keep searching
    @leelee yes I do have several different knobs 4 to be exact
  • Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    A few more I picked up , thoughts comments welcome
  • PRO
    Crave Your Home
    il y a 7 ans
    I have similar cabinets and counter in my house and went with a dark grey glass subway to bring out the dark veins in the counter. I love the contrast with the white cabinets and find it adds interest compared to the lighter tiles. You can see pics on my website www.craveyourhome.com in my portfolio
    Kim Adams a remercié Crave Your Home
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

I like those as well. However, the split-face quartzite, too rough and difficult to clean. they do make that in an even, level front that is polished or honed. That would be a better selection for a kitchen backsplash. Here is one in black.

Kim Adams a remercié Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    il y a 7 ans

No to the split face rock. Can't tell color tones exactly on my monitor, but either of the other two look like they could work.

Kim Adams a remercié Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

The non split faced rock tiles look nice, but they are kinda dark. I think you are distracting the focus from the countertops. If you add too many patterns, the eye won't know where to look and it could end up looking very busy. Kind of like wearing stripes and plaids....the colors go, but the patterns do not.

Kim, if you look at the small picture of the 3 that you have posted, I think you will see they just don't quite look right. I think that is why you keep asking.

Please, please, please read this....

http://www.mariakillam.com/loveyourinstallation/

I think it will help you.

• Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

not the greatest pics...

Still at it.... comments , feedback ...

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    il y a 7 ans

Kim.... do you have an inspiration photo of what you want your kitchen to feel like? At the rate you are going you will keep bringing home samples and everyone will keep giving their opinion ( as you can see we are all different! )... What samples have you bought home that you really like? I have seen mosaics, small brick patterns, arabesque, natural stone, glass..... This is your kitchen - you need to walk into it every morning and be happy with it and love what you are looking at.....

Kim Adams a remercié Debbi Washburn
  • Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

yes this was my inspiration, but my countertops are not exactly like these, and I am having such a hard time.

• Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

Those countertops look pretty plain from my monitor. That is why the backsplash works. Also, I do not think that backsplash is up to code. When you have a high output gas rangetop, you have to have a backguard instead of a backsplash. Although they post pictures like this all the time, over time it is a huge fire hazard due to heat transference to the sheet rock and wood studs in the wall.

• Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

Just looked at whitewash brick backsplashes. You could do that if you made it more white than brick. And if that is the look you are going for try it on a foam board and live with it.

• Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Actually I did that this evening , got foam board and attached some bricks, I believe that is the route we may take
  • Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

Good for you! Glad you found your voice! Sometimes, when we push one way or the other, it helps solidify in your mind what you DO want!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

if you like that brick look, tilebar has these: Urban Brick in white or gray

or this elongated shape.

• Kathi Steele
    il y a 7 ans

Good find Beth!

• P T
    il y a 6 ans

Do you have a picture of the finished product? My granite is similar to yours and I have no idea on the colors for the backsplash.

• Kim Adams
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Yes I sure do

• Susan Sease
    il y a 6 ans
    We installed marble white countertops and used the same product for the backsplash, I love the uniformity of the look plus our marble is beautiful so why not?! BTW the cost for the full height marble backsplash was much cheaper than the tile and labor would've been... Just another option for you to consider, good luck!
  • PRO
    Tuscan Stone Imports, LLC (New Orleans)
    il y a 6 ans

Kim,

We love what you did with our Toblerone Quartzite in your kitchen and would love to feature your kitchen on our Facebook page. Please email Bridget @ bardeneaux@tuscanstoneimports.com if you are interested! Thank you!

Kim Adams a remercié Tuscan Stone Imports, LLC (New Orleans)
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

Your backspash MUSTbe a solid color otherwise the patterns will clash!!!

• Teresa Lane
    il y a 4 ans

I just had the toblerone quartzite installed and am at a loss for a backsplash. I have the honey colored cabinets which matches the goldish veins in the counter tops. I have grey walls with white trim and stainless appliances. Does anyone have pictures of their kitchens with toblerone? There are several different names for the same design...White Nile and Antigua.

Kim Adams a remercié Teresa Lane
  • khegrat
    il y a 4 ans

I agree with no small squares. A subway type of tile. When redoing our kitchen I went into the project with wanting an off white cabinets and wasn’t sure what kind of backsplash I would want. I ended up totally changing cabinet color especially after going to a tile store and seeing this tile and how awesome it looked with the cabinets.

• PRO
    Tuscan Stone Imports, LLC (New Orleans)
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

I have a customer that used grey subway tile ( see Kim Adams picture above.) These could be nice, depending on what shade of grey you have for your walls.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».