Houzz Logo Print
dustin_norman66

Looking for Pro Advice for Kitchen Lighting

Dustin Norman
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and looking for advice on lighting.

I intend on wrapping the upper cabinets in crown molding. How far out from the crown molding should I place my recessed lighting to avoid shadows while tasking at countertops? Also, how far apart should my recessed lights be from one another?

I also plan to do under-cabinet lighting and pendant lights over the island/sink.

With respect to brightness, how many lumens should need for the recessed lights? Under-cabinet lights? Pendants? With respect to Kelvins, I was thinking on the warmer for the recessed lights and cooler for the under-cabinet lights. Does that sound attractive? What about the pendants? How many lumens, and warmer or cooler?

My ceilings are 8 ft tall. I know I'm asking a bunch of questions so thank you in advance.

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

Your recessed lights will not be able to effectively light under your cabinets. A central fixture might give you enough light to see what you're doing, but if you want task lighting, which is what you're describing, then you need to put in task lighting, not try to fernangle other lights to serve that purpose.

Typically, under-cabinet lighting is made with that specific purpose and placement in mind. You're going to have a hard time picking the wrong under-cabinet lighting, and don't need to focus so much on lumens and kelvins as finding what you think looks nice.

I recommend going into a cabinet or lighting store and looking at the specific options you're considering firsthand. I think you'll find you like certain ones more than others and will have an easier choice.

Dustin Norman a remercié User
  • PRO
    Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
    il y a 7 ans

Lighting seems to change daily with LED technology. Lumens or intensity is important, it is best to visit a trusted lighting store.

Dustin Norman a remercié Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
  • Dustin Norman
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you all. I'm especially curious as to how far from crown molding I should place the light to avoid shadows at the island and tasking countertops.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».