Houzz Logo Print
snanthak

Clear anodised aluminium windows

Sen Nantha
il y a 7 ans
Hi All - our architect specified clear anodised aluminium windows for our building. When our builder called to put the order in to the window company they said that the anodised option was an unnecessary expense and that the could get a similar look with a powder coated option. I relayed this to the architect who said the anodised option gives a completely different look and it I could spend the money it would be worthwhile. Anyone have any experience with use of anodised windows? What do they look like vs a powder coated option?

Commentaires (12)

• User
    il y a 7 ans

It sounds like you've gone shopping for apples and been offered some oranges! 2 completely different options and finishes (one looks like brushed bare aluminium and one looks painted).

Perhaps sometimes white powder coat can look the same as anodised in some lights/aspects....but generally they are different and do give a different look. Your architect is right.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    il y a 7 ans

Not all manufacturers have clear anodised extrusion's. Hence the extra cost as they'd probably need to order it in.

Actually, clear probably should be a cheaper option.....

• E L
    il y a 7 ans
    This is a very relevant question for us right now as we also have to decide between clear anodised and silver coated. I was surprised to find the anodised more expensive but to me it does look entirely different. The manufacturer said one of the reasons it is more expensive is because if the anodised is scratched during manufacture, shipping or installation, it must be replaced. Whereas the powder coated option can just be touched up with a bit of paint. I'll attach a photo of my two options. Anodised is on the left, coated on the right. Interested in your responses and decision! Good luck.
  • Sen Nantha
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thanks for the responses everyone - very helpful! Especially the picture!
  • E L
    il y a 7 ans
    Happy to help, here's another couple of photos. Anodised on left looks lighter in daylight. The silver powder coated, on right, is greyer with a shimmer through it similar to silver car paint. They both look great. For me, the anodised is is more striking, but it comes down to dollars. Is the extra money ($4k in our case) worth the minor differences? I'm just not sure.
    Just to make things more difficult... I've taken I liking to bronze anodised! Lol, sorry I don't have a sample of it. It's gorgeous... But again, expensive.
  • Sen Nantha
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    EL are you based in Sydney? Which providers are you looking at?
  • E L
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi snanthac, we're in Gippsland VIC. Why do you ask?
  • Sen Nantha
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    To find out which provider you were using/considering. We are looking at wideline I think they are a national brand
  • E L
    il y a 7 ans
    I haven't heard of wideline, I'll look them up.
    We've been quite sensible and sought three quotes. We're fairly sure we'll use Dynamic. They where the middle quote and we've enjoyed discussing options with them. (Although they might be sick of hearing from us! Lol)
  • PRO
    Designers by Nature
    il y a 7 ans

We have used both finishes with great results, there is a price point difference and as mentioned above, unfortunately if the anodised windows are damaged or marked for some reason during construction they are much harder to fix. The closest powder coat colour we have found in the past is "precious silver pearl"

this project used powdercoat windows https://www.houzz.com.au/projects/1856175/blue-steel

Blue Steel · Plus d'infos

and this project, anodised (coastal)

https://www.houzz.com.au/projects/1191638/coastal-exposure

Coastal exposure · Plus d'infos

Hope those examples and a few others on our profile will help.

best of luck :)

• Gallifrey
    il y a 7 ans

We had the same issue. Decided on powered coated silver for two reasons. Substantial cost differential and risk of scratching or damage to anodised windows during construction. We are happy with our decision, and glad we spent the money we saved on some features that we would actually notice, like more louvres and face stacking doors etc.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».