Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Large tree species that cast light shade

whaas_5a
il y a 7 ans

Technically looking for something that has a fine/sparse winter branching sillouette like honey locust or Kentucky coffee tree.

Many other options I might be missing?

I would love to just plant a bald cypress but they are hit and miss. I can use Shawnee brave but it's too narrow

Commentaires (9)

• bengz6westmd
    il y a 7 ans

Is your goal to have a fine winter branching silhouette, or casting light shade?

• whaas_5a
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Hey beng,

Both but having a fine winter branching silhouette would be primary goal as it will cast shade from the south during the winter on a driveway.

• kitasei
    il y a 7 ans

I love black locust!

• PRO
    Tall Timbers Tree Services
    il y a 7 ans

Red maple or Japanese Maple

• Mike McGarvey
    il y a 7 ans

Even old Japanese maples aren't considered large.

• User
    il y a 7 ans

Often laughed at as being a bit common or weedy...but I have come to love the hybrid poplars in my wood. Tall, tall cathedral-like trunks and enough light to support grasses and wildflowers and a lush middle storey underneath the canopy. My soil is a little too alkaline for birches...but I would surely like to grow any number, especially the Asiatic red and copper birches.

whaas_5a a remercié User
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    il y a 7 ans

"I would love to just plant a bald cypress but they are hit and miss. I can use Shawnee brave but it's too narrow"

When you say "hit and miss", do you mean in hardiness or in form?

Not sure if anyone is growing it, but there is a cultivar named "Heritage" (= 'Nelson') that is wider, and supposedly quite hardy. Shawnee Brave was introduced by the same person.

http://www.google.com/patents/USPP12502

whaas_5a a remercié arbordave (SE MI)
  • whaas_5a
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Definitely hardiness. For those borderline species that have a preference for acidic soil I usually just stay away unless its a smaller growing tree.

Shawnee Brave is the only one grown around here, otherwise they are shipped in and who knows the seed source.

City of West Bend planted several bald cypress in a median and they all died after that 2013 winter. Personal acquaintance had a 30' specimen outside Milwaukee that also died after that same winter.

I hear the same feedback from many landscape professionals as well.

Cruise over to Longnecker gardens and they have a few massive specimens. I'm sure they did their homework on seed source. They have acidic soil to boot.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».