Houzz Logo Print
joann_yurchesyn

What are the pros and cons of solatube vs velux solar tubes ...

Joann Yurchesyn
il y a 11 ans
We are thinking about bringing in some natural light to our living space which is very dark. We are considering solar tube lights. These are not a traditional skylight but rather a tube that extends through your roof, allows the natural outside light in, transferring it through a tunnel with special material to draw it down into your living space. If it sounds like I haven't a clue about this, .... then, ... you're right!! I don't. I do know that there are two main choices: Solatube vs Velux solar tube lights ... Any advice from any of you who have taken the plunge and installed these units would be so welcome..? Likes? Dislikes? The internet has very limited consumer ratings on these.

Commentaires (234)

• Thomas Hosie
    il y a 4 ans

For those of you that have solar tubes... with advancement in recessed LED lighting (super thin pucks vs. old can lights) - does having this actually feel as thought you have natural light coming in or just like you have a big diffused LED Light in the center of the room?

• lisianthus
    il y a 4 ans

I'm not a big fan of LED light but I love my Solatubes; I don't think there's any comparison between LED and real sunlight coming in.

• Utilisateur Houzz - 38602259
    il y a 4 ans

That depends on where your tube is (and the size)... ours is south east and casts a really great natural daytime light to an interior bathroom that would be a dark hole; can't compare to a light fixture, no matter what kind of bulb, in my opinion. However I've been in rooms where the tube was on the bright side of the roof and it was like a stadium light inside ( it was also a 14") a diffuser would be good for a situation like that. Ours is 10 and plenty 'bright' for lack of better term. It's an ambient , space filling light that you just cant get from a bulb.

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    il y a 4 ans

Here's the scoop. There is a Huge difference in how much light is delivered into your room, Solatube win's by a mile, period. Solatube invented the light tunnel concept and has 2 very important differences;

1) The "bowl" on top has a patented prism system much like a light house prism. All other light tubes simply have a plain glass bowl. So? At 9am in the morning the sun light is not being directed down the tunnel with all other brands and you get far less light than the Solatube, their prism redirects the light straight down the tunnel. The prism design also prevents the noon heat from penetrating the system.

2) Solatube has a patented film on the inside of their tube that the light can bounce off of even around corners delivering (3rd party testing) 97% of the natural light into the room where as all the others average only 45% to 55%.

1) The "bowl" on top has a patented prism system much like a light house prism. All other light tubes simply have a plain glass bowl. So? At 9am in the morning the sun light is not being directed down the tunnel with all other brands and you get far less light than the Solatube, their prism redirects the light straight down the tunnel. The prisum design also prevents the noon heat from penetrating the system.

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    il y a 4 ans

PS They have a little led night light built that's charged by a small solar panel in the tube. Softer than a wall plug night light, no more kicking your toe into the bed leg! I know!

• julieste
    il y a 4 ans

I am trying to decide whether installing one or two of these tubes make sense for our needs. Townhouse in SW Florida with a sloped roof/ceiling in the 20' by 13' living room; there are 3 dark wood beams on the ceiling. This is north facing in a heavily wooded (jungle like) area.

It sounds like Solatube is the brand to go with because of the additional reflectiveness. I much prefer the square look over the round because it seems as though it will fit in better architecturally.

Questions: Will a sloped ceiling install work since the light will be directed diagonally rather than just straight down? Will this work with a north orientation? Will this increase heat in the warmer months? Will just one of these look architecturally goofy and out of place? Upthread someone said not to install these if there is a ceiling fan because it can cause a strobe effect. We have a ceiling fan.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• lisianthus
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

I don't think the slanted ceiling will affect it but the contractor should be able to tell you. The Solatubes have a reflector built into the top section that can be turned to face the brightest direction and I found that helped a lot on my roof. I wouldn't install one behind the ceiling fan's blades but I would think if it's off to the side it should be ok. I originally put one in my kitchen but it did seem a little off center so I added another. If you really want to brighten your room up you may want to paint your beams white, if that's an option. I used to have a tongue-in-groove wood ceiling stained a medium brown and it seemed to eat the light in the room. We painted it white and wow, what a difference. Hope this helps!

• julieste
    il y a 4 ans

Thanks. We've seem other identical homes with the beams painted white and don't care for the effect.

• Side3
    il y a 4 ans

Updating my original comment- after having this Solarise Sun Glo for a while, I have to admit the light is NOT as good as the Solatube brand. While I dislike Solatubes bubble on the roof- there is no denying it gets much more light into the house than this brand. I am torn, because I need one in a new house I’m building that has an interior bathroom. The solar tube unfortunately will be visible on the front of the house. FORM OR FUNCTION?! aaaaarrrrgh!

• Angela
    il y a 3 ans

I've had a 14" solatube installed above my kitchen area. While it has illuminated the area quite well, I find the light is too cool/blue for my taste. I have bought a sheet of gel filter (Lee 442 Half C.T. Straw Lighting Filter), which I will cut to size, hopefully it will make it slightly more pleasant! You can see below the difference in tone coming through my open front door compared to the solatube. It's like having a fluorescent light in there 😐

• Angela
    il y a 3 ans

I will post another photo after the filter arrives.

• Angela
    il y a 3 ans

Before

• Angela
    il y a 3 ans

After

• SOLARGY SW
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Dear people, tell me, do you think the Russian version of light guides can be in demand in the American market? Russian quality is always of a high level! And we are looking for and offer to the American people, Russian fiber which is engineered specially tailored to the harsh Russian climate, It is not boyatsya not heat nor cold, not afraid of hail, and not petition the guests. if you are interested, I can share some information about the Russian light guide... As for the quality of light of the Russian light guide, you understand that Russia is located in the Northern latitude and we have a little light, so we have developed a special shape of the dome that collects sunlight as much as possible. Also, we do not make lenses on the dome because our research has shown that the incisions in the form of lenses on the dome are a natural barrier to direct sunlight. The mirror material transmits 99.8% of the reflected light and it is not a film that, as practice shows, turns yellow and flakes off over time.

• SOLA - LITE
    il y a 3 ans

Angela, it looks great!

• Szalma Virág
    il y a 3 ans

Dear people. They installed it in my house, but i wanted a small one, they made the big one. I thought it will be a bit less dark but i'm very disappointed with the result. If it would be a window at least i could cover the too bright light in the summer. Is there something that i could cover it with? I'm sad because my bedroom is ruined like this. I don't find any solution for closing it when someone would sleep there. Please help!

• Vivian Buentiempo-Johnson
    il y a 3 ans

Hi Szakma,

If you have a Solatube brand daylighting system, there is a Daylight Dimmer. It is solar-powered and you can dim about 95% of the light. I don't know what other daylighting systems have as an option.

• Utilisateur Houzz - 524860945
    il y a 3 ans

Be aware that this is a giant plastic disk emitting light that is so harsh and cold I feel like I’m in a creepy sci-fi movie. I’m so sad - our remodel was goreous and then this.

• SOLA - LITE
    il y a 3 ans

If this is a Solatube, you have some options, including the square Solatube. If you choose the OptiView diffuser, you can see the sky through the diffuser. People either love or hate the OptiView. However the quality of the light is different. This is also true of the Vusion diffuser. It has a Prismatic lens that also has a different quality of light. The JustFrost which has a frosted glass look, can affect the light quality. With such a large kitchen, two Solatubes would have more evenly distributed the light. I would check with your installer about how you come up with something you may like better. Again, you do have some choices.

• hummingbirdgardener
    il y a 3 ans

I’m in California with a beautiful natural Spanish tile roof. Is a solar tube doable? Also why are the solar tube light fixtures so damn ugly? Why can’t someone design one to simply look like an overhead light fixture for a home, not an office?

• heidifielding
    il y a 3 ans

I am thinking about installing a solar tube (either solatube or velux), ideally with an exhaust fan, in a small, very dark, soon-to-be bathroom off the master bedroom. We have a steeply pitched slate roof there that's very pretty, and I'm wondering what the least ugly option is for the outside, as well as if slate is okay with these things? Also, do these come in small sizes for small rooms, and is one of the brands better than the other for this type of installation? Thanks!

• Alex511
    il y a 3 ans

HU-524860945, I am hoping you come back here to check on your post. I know exactly what you're talking about. I had put one Solatube in my closet, one in my shower, one in a hallway, and one in my laundry room. I regretted it because of how strange the lighting felt in each location. BUT, then I added in a second one to each of those areas, and it made ALL the difference. I LOVE the lighting now! I might have pictures of one tube versus two. If you want, I can look so you can see. I think your getting a second one in that area would be a huge improvement.

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

hummingbirdgardener, there is a fixture that looks like a light fixture. It is an AuroraGlo in a bronze or white finish.

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

heidifielding, The smallest size is a 10". The Solatube has a two piece flashing for a tile roof, which Velux does not. There is a new architectural design series with a visually beautiful roof doem, but it is no longer a dome, but a more flat light gatherer-for lack of a better word. You can see it on solatube.com. I work for Solatube so I do have some bias, however, in addition to Solatube being a premium product, you are always able to pick up parts and find someone to complete repairs, if the need arises. Each licensed, premiere dealer has a warehouse of stock. If you purchase something off the shelf, it can be a challenge to locate pieces, should the need arise. Also, I do not recommend the flexible tubing. You lose much light as the light travels down the tubing because of the flexy indentations.

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

Alex511, how amazing that you were that open to putting in a second one even though you weren't happy with the first!

• Alex511
    il y a 3 ans

I used to hate how dark those areas were. Now I love going into each of those places because it is so bright! When it snowed 3 feet one time, I was reminded how dark those areas were. 😉

• RayM
    il y a 3 ans

Also remember that the dome can be placed in the rear roof and the light placed near the front of the house. I have two 14" installed in my kitchen. They are in opposite corners of a tray ceiling. One tube is about 3' in length. The other runs about 10' with 2 bends to reach the front of the house. Both deliver the same light. This way I enjoy the light in the house and only see the two domes side by side when I am in the backyard (if I happen to look a the roof).

I had liked them so much, when I needed to demolish the kitchen, I had them removed and reinstalled.

• jujuz20
    il y a 3 ans

Alex511, I would love to see the pics you took of the difference between one solar tube and 2.

Edit: I can’t seem to tag Alex511, so if someone else could tag them for me so they see this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Alex511
    il y a 3 ans

Let me find my photos, and I will post them. Stay tuned. Right now, though, you can see the photos where I posted some of the pictures with the 2 Solatubes here (when providing a review for the company that installed them): https://www.houzz.com/viewReview/519636/Amazing-Skylights--Inc--review The photos of my closet, the laundry (where you can see the basket on the counter) and the hallway are places where I added a second tube. The one looking into my closet--I added those at the same time.

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

Alex, they look absolutely fab! I love that you went for two. That really does the trick. Are they the 14" 290DS units? One would have worked, but this is LIGHT! You really brightened the spaces.

• Alex511
    il y a 3 ans

Honestly, Sola-lite, I'm not sure which ones I used. There were 2 sizes, and I used the larger ones. What's funny is that in my shower, I used the smaller one. Not happy. I added a second small one, and boom! Loved how much brighter the shower was. The Solatubes have made ALL the difference in the world to me. I love going upstairs and having all this light coming through. I used to hate my closet and how dark it was. I do not have to turn on the lights in the closet during the day. Same with the laundry room. I hated how dark my laundry room was. Jujuz, I need to find my former photos. I know I have them. ;-)

• Jenn Leiker
    il y a 3 ans

New here, so I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or add on here, but:

What about installing these in northern Canadian areas, where we get 2' of snow regularly, temps down to -35C/-31F, plus the occasional spring/summer golfball-sized hail! Would any of these products stand up to such weather extremes without breakage, leaks, condensation (wood stove), etc., assuming excellent installation on a well-pitched NE-facing asphalt roof? Can anyone from cold, snowy places speak to their experiences with solar tubes and skylights? Thanks!

• SOLARGY SW
    il y a 3 ans

• SOLARGY SW
    il y a 3 ans

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

Jenn Leiker since no one has answered your question, I would recommend calling a Solatube dealer in the northeast. I'm in the desert. I can tell you about the nuances of 120 degree heat. I'm sure a dealer up north can tell you about the cold weather nuances. If you need help locating a dealer contact Solatube at solatube.com. Good luck!!

• Tina Chin
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks for all this helpful info, everyone! I am thinking of installing the Solatubes - which diffuser would you recommend, the standard or the frosted diffuser? Does the type of diffuser affect how the light comes in - or is it just for appearances?

Also, has anyone used the light add-on kit? Does it work? I want to put the Solatube in the hallway where my light currently is, and would love to be able to have natural daylight during the day and electric light at night. Thanks so much!!!

• lisianthus
    il y a 3 ans

Personally, I like the frost, it seems to make a more natural light and to obscure the tubes. I haven't tried the add-on kit. I think you will like it in a hallway- you will keep going to turn the light switch off thinking the light is on. Good luck!

• chery_m
    il y a 3 ans

I had Solatubes installed when I reroofed in 2009. I noticed in the last couple of years that the light had turned a brownish yellow. The problem is coming from the tube itself which has discolored from the sun. I got in touch with the distributor who reached out to the solatube rep. The rep was quick to jump on the fact that they only offer a 10 year warranty. So.. I have a 10 year product on my 20 year roof. One of the worst mistakes I’ve ever made. Not sure about the competition but would definitely not recommend Solatube.

• Skip Kizzire
    il y a 3 ans

@cherry_m Is there a way to make the tubes removable? Can these tubes be put into a PVC pipe through the roof? If so, that way they can be removed and you have a solid pvc pipe going through your roof that is permanent and keeps insulation, etc at bay. Then you can stick a new solatube inside... Just a thought....

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 3 ans

It might be less expensive to replace the tubing, especially if it is a short run. We sell a 2' D tube for $65.00 plus tax, however, each dealership has their own pricing. You don't have to replace the entire Solatube. Maybe only replace the section that is yellowed. Curious as to why it would yellow. That doesn't sound right.

• Utilisateur Houzz - 687364716
    il y a 2 ans

We had 4 sun tunnels but 2 of them caused burn marks around the plastic holding the ceiling diffuser in place. The tunnels were 2.1 metres long. Could this be an installer problem or some other cause?

• SOLA - LITE
    il y a 2 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 2 ans

I would contact the manufacturer, Velux.

• Cheryl Andrade
    il y a 2 ans

My parents installed 16” and 10” sola tubes over 20 years ago. We recently reroofed their house and found the sola tube domes had turned brown and were disintegrating. Sola tubes cannot be found in our immediate location and sola tube no longer makes 16” tubes. The latter was a huge problem because sola tube no longer makes parts for the 16” either. The roofer’s only choice at the time was to pull off the old sola tube domes and cover them with 22” and 14” velux domes. Well, debris was landing on the indoor diffuser rings. We attempted to remove the diffusers to clean out the debris and all the old plastic clips broke off from age. Of course, no sola tube diffuser rings to be found in 16”. We did a complete do over and reinstalled with velux 14” and 10” tubes. It is a ”cooler” light but we couldn’t be happier. Sola tube “might” have nicer tubes but they leave their customers in the lurch on future parts and maintenance.

• lisianthus
    il y a 2 ans

That is so frustrating when companies discontinue products and leave you in the lurch. Even if they stop making that size, they should continue to supply parts for all the customers who bought them. I'm curious what your climate is? I have a Solatube that is 15 years old and you can't tell it from the new ones I put in (the same room). I'm in the northwest where we don't get so much hot sun, more rain. I hate to think I'd have to replace these in that short of time. It seems like every company that makes every product we use expects us to replace them every few years. That is just not sustainable.

• mollymcbaby
    il y a 2 ans

I’m having 2 14” Velux sun tunnels installed in a hallway today. How wide can I expect the light spread to be for each tube? I’m trying to decide how far apart I want the 2 tubes installed.

• PRO
    Sola-lite
    il y a 2 ans

Hi! For a Solatube a 14" 290DS will give you a minimum of 4' of peripheral light. With the Velux flexible tubing, you can expect to have less light coming into the house than with the smooth tubing. I think Velux has both options,

• Chrissy Morrissey
    l'année dernière

Has anyone tried the low profile flat mount lights (looks like a flat mount on the roof instead of the bubble)? What is the difference in the light captured and emitted? We are building a house and the idea of big bubbles on the front really concerns me. Yes I want plenty of light but I don't want to sacrifice too much of it either if the flat roof profile isn't as effective. Experiences?

l'année dernière

Well, it is telling that the low-profile Solatube unit only comes in a 14" 290DS. It is not offered in a 10" 160DS. I suspect it is less light but I don't have a lumen number rating. With a pitched roof, you can always look into having the domes/flashing installed at the back of the house and have the diffuser in a room at the front of the house. But then, you will have a longer run with extra tubing and/or labor charges.

• Kami A.
    l'année dernière

Im in Florida. Does anyone think that hurricanes would be an issue with these? I love the idea of them but always wondered if really powerful winds and these might be my roofs demise?

l'année dernière

Good concern. there is a specific high-velocity dome rated for hurricane level winds. I can't attach the document but if you contact Solatube via Solatube.com, they can provide you with the current documentation.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».