Houzz Logo Print
farmer_mac

How to make the most of amazing view?

Claire Henderson
il y a 7 ans

Hi, I'm seeking advice please on how to make the most of this view from our living room window and enhance the feeling of light and space (photos of room attached).

Thoughts so far:

- big leaner mirror opposite window (next to love seat) to reflect view of castle

- large light rug

- dress curtains to sides of bay window (a few fabrics I like in photos)

- 2 small roller blinds for each side window and 2 larger roller blinds (covering 2 Windows each)

- a pelmet to hide blind mechanisms or no pelmet?

The house is a farm cottage.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm going round in circles!

Commentaires (11)

• Patrina
    il y a 7 ans
    My thoughts are if you are going to make use of the the view you have to reposition your sofa so that you are looking outwards. Frame the view with come nice curtains or blinds not too heavy.
    Claire Henderson a remercié Patrina
  • Claire Henderson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks Patrina, I originally had the larger sofa on the opposite wall and the love seat in the far corner of the bay window - I was just trying it out the opposite way, as the big sofa felt a bit 'hemmed in' between the 2 doors. Might just revert it back again tho or try the smaller sofa opposite window and love seat on shorter wall opposite fireplace. Would you put a big mirror opposite the window? Thank you for your advice.

• AMB
    il y a 7 ans
    You are not overlooked so I would avoid blinds and go with nice curtains on a simple pole.
    Claire Henderson a remercié AMB
  • Claire Henderson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks ambirchall, I'm thinking dress curtains just to frame the window so would also need a blind to stop the light reflection whilst watching TV - and considering a pelmet round the top to hide roller blinds and window vents (to also give illusion of window going right up to ceiling) BUT are pelmets too dated now? Or would it darken it too much? Would it look silly with just the blinds without a pelmet (still with dress curtains)? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any advice, I haven't a clue!

• PRO
    Julie Sinclair Interiors
    il y a 7 ans
    Dress curtains which can puddle on the floor with elaborate tie-backs is a lovely idea to frame your view. You have enough space above your windows to accommodate some simple neat Roman blinds which wouldn't require any pelmet. Just be aware of giving yourself access room around the sofa to operate all the blinds of an evening, although remote control tracks are available to make your life a whole lot easier!
    Claire Henderson a remercié Julie Sinclair Interiors
  • tezz4
    il y a 7 ans

I love the Roman Blinds idea. Plain heavy linen in a natural shade. You can regulate the light easily by lowering them according to what suits you. Curtains which have no use are somewhat cumberdome. The seating pieces do look a bit ample for the space. You may need to lose a piece. As for hanging mirrors, l'd like to point out feng shui awareness so that you csn retain harmony in the room. This link may help https://fengshuinexus.com/blog/feng-shui-mirror-placement-home/ 

Claire Henderson a remercié tezz4
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    il y a 7 ans

I would put the large chesterfield facing the window (where the grey fabric chair is) and have the fabric chair at an angle in the bay (facing the fire place) with a table next to it.

Move the TV from above the fireplace - I think a TV above such a lovely fire detracts from it. You could put it on the opposite wall where the small two seater leather chesterfield is. (Do you need to keep all three seats?)

Put a table in front of the fire place so it brings the furniture together, making it a comfortable space rather than a waiting room feel.

If you do keep the TV where it is (and keeping all chairs) I would situate the chairs closer around the fireplace as photo show above. And put a free standing unit on the small wall.

Keep the wall colour light so the room is flooded with light.

Look forward to seeing the end photos.

Shannon

Claire Henderson a remercié Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
  • minnie101
    il y a 7 ans

Hi. I like your idea of a leaner mirror and a lighter rug. I'd opt for Roman blinds, I'd pick a colour and pattern to complement the view as shown in the pic below. I'd probably choose green for the blinds and you can also add a little for cushions. You could also pair this with the raspberry bird fabric. I'd probably have the 2 seater sofa in the bay, the snuggle chair where that is and the large one opposite the window. Assuming the tv needs to stay where it is I'd add a large piece of art over the snuggle chair and perhaps a potted plant in the bay. I'd try the nest of tables next to the sofa just to give the fire a bit of room. If you were looking to add a coffee table I'd go for glass and gold/brass just to add a bit of sparkle and keep the feeling of space.

Claire Henderson a remercié minnie101
  • PRO
    Hartley and Rose
    il y a 7 ans

position the sofa to look at the view or work the seating around so the window is the focal point, go for the lighter fabric curtains and have them so they can push right back to the wall as opposed to taking space in the window, to soften instead of blind you could use some soft very light voiles that will sit behind the curtains. Definitely mirrors to direct the light, you can look for a large leaner or wall mirror and then move it around to see where it best creates the light and space.. hope that helps.

Claire Henderson a remercié Hartley and Rose
  • Claire Henderson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Wow, thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I've moved the largest sofa back over to the wall opposite the window for starters - agree it's the best place for it. I also hate a TV above a fireplace but I'm outvoted by the rest of the family on that one! I can't afford it yet, but eventually I'd like one of those mirrors above the fire that hide the TV behind it. Thanks again everyone. I'll post a photo once my room is more dressed (I don't want to say when it's 'finished' as I think my home will always be a work in progress, continuously evolving!)

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».