Houzz Logo Print
stittdanielle91

Outside space for California bungalow

stittdanielle91
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 6 ans

We need shade over the deck of our California bungalow. We used to have angled wooden slats which allowed sun through during winter but were angled such that they provided shade in summer. They've been demolished because of rot.

We are now considering retractable versus fixed shade. The deck area runs off the living room and is our main view (in the absence of being a waterfront property!). We'd like to use it like a room, mostly when the weather allows. We're also keen to keep the light in the living room given it faces north.

Any suggestions welcome!

Commentaires (8)

• PRO
    Vuetrade
    il y a 6 ans

Check out our ideabook for some pergola/shading ideas... https://www.houzz.com.au/ideabooks/69917791/thumbs/pergolas

stittdanielle91 a remercié Vuetrade
  • User
    il y a 6 ans

Depending on your budget, perhaps a Vergola type system? I love the idea of being able to open and close the roof to suit various weather.

stittdanielle91 a remercié User
  • Julie Herbert
    il y a 6 ans
    I think a retractable awning would look great, then you can have the best of both worlds, lovely area.
    stittdanielle91 a remercié Julie Herbert
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    il y a 6 ans

Check out our project:Enhanced 1920s Californian Bungalow for inspiration!

Mabel Street, Willoughby · Plus d'infos
    Mabel Street, Willoughby · Plus d'infos

stittdanielle91 a remercié Cordony Group
  • PRO
    Wildly Illuminating
    il y a 6 ans

I too have a California bungalow, and I have the same sum concerns. I'm looking at sail shades, so they can go up in summer and come down in winter.

stittdanielle91 a remercié Wildly Illuminating
  • antonia_d
    il y a 6 ans
    Agree with Mel N, I have a vergola and it is brilliant. It's attached to the deck of our 1940's home. It adds another room to the home. When the louvres are opened we also have plenty of sunshine.
    stittdanielle91 a remercié antonia_d
  • PRO
    Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
    il y a 6 ans

Hi

You have a lovely aspect facing north for your main living area. A motorised retractable awning would give you the best of both worlds- shade when you need it in the summer hot days and allow lovely winter sun and light in when not in use. You can get some great outdoor fabrics on these that look great. an automatic sensor will retract the blind if it gets windy.

Here are a few examples

Flip/Flop House(S) · Plus d'infos

Luigi Rosselli Architects - Paddington Terrace House · Plus d'infos

Residential · Plus d'infos
    Best wishes

stittdanielle91 a remercié Style Precinct Interior Design & Decoration
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».