Houzz Logo Print
balou79

Interior Designer: Skill OR Talent?

balou79
il y a 6 ans
Do you think that a good designer is naturally talented or it a skill that can be learned?
Skill
Natural Talent

Commentaires (12)

• chiflipper
    il y a 6 ans

With enough practice and an education in color / perspective almost anyone can learn to "draw". Even so, that does not make one an artist.

• balou79
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Thanks for the 2 of you for replying. As someone that has decided to study interior design sometimes I wonder if I have the knack for this, time will tell I suppose.
    I do find it interesting that some of the famous designers like Nate Berkus have no formal education in design so I guess that is an example of natural talent.
  • Belahn
    il y a 6 ans

My mother is a natural. She doesn't have any training but what she can come up with is fabulous. If you give a naturally talented person some training, that's when you get the best.

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

sounds like the artist argument all over! lol

Balou, go to youtube. look for the great interior design contest from England It is amazing there are very few who have expert training, they come in all ages and backgrounds. their work is amazing and the winners are highly varied in age and background! much fun.

I feel that you can be trained in anything, but it will not be great, only someone who has a natural talent can be great. the training just gives them a little more savvy perhaps.

• balou79
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Havingfun - I will for sure check it out. I do agree having the natural ability will be very helpful! Now I just have to determine if I have what it takes ; )

Thanks!
  • User
    il y a 6 ans

To be an interior designer, you have to have the three E's: education, experience, and examination (being the NCIDQ in the United States). There are a lot of things involving the health, safety and welfare of your clients that you need to go to school to learn and understand.

Good design isn't just about aesthetics, its about functionality, safety, and health.

As for the art aspect of it... everything can be learned if you are determined enough! Some people have more of a knack for things... someone may naturally be able to work in plan view and develop great space plans, while others may have to do many renditions to get a good space plan. Some people are better with color schemes, while some people may need to research more.

If you are passionate about interior design, you will learn techniques and methods and you will get there! It's all about passion and practice.

Best of Luck,

Melissa, Interior Designer at The Architects

• havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

generally if you have the passion it is because in your formative years, someone told you how good you were at it. if you feel it is impossible to do without a degree, you should try watching the english show. perhaps we are using the wrong title.

i know one thing. no matter what it is filing, directing traffic or prima ballerina, adinfinitum, there is a difference between educated and talented. talent will show everytime.

• Wendy
    il y a 6 ans
    Both, for sure.....and can I add, a personality that works well with others.
  • balou79
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Melissa,
    That is sound advice, I appreciate your input. Thank you.
  • balou79
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Havingfun, My youth was never focused on design in this way although I did paint rocks and sell them at a family BBQ around the age of 10 LOL
  • havingfun
    il y a 6 ans

20 years ago balou -I love your name by the way!, i would have had no clue. then i was faced with owning my own home, got me curious. but that was nothing like when I could no longer work and discovered this sight. I have learned so much! I do not claim to be any sort of expert, but it is just so much fun when someone likes to roll in my pillows! lol

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».