Houzz Logo Print
shelly_lindsell

Fence colour advice please

Shelly L
il y a 6 ans

Hello, I am having my 120 ft victorian garden landscaped and I need advice as to what colour to paint the fence. It will encompass the entire garden, and I will have a very large midnight slate patio. I need something that will be pleasing to the eye, make the fence disappear into the background as I will have loads of green foilage and a flower theme of purples, blues and white.

Thanks in advance of any advice you may have.

Shelly

Commentaires (37)

• mayfly182
    il y a 6 ans

Black is probably a bit dark. Green rarely looks good against natural green leaves, the exception being sage green which doesn't look like it's trying and failing to match leaf colours. Brown looks a bit dated now. Most shades of grey would work well. If it was me I'd look at shades of grey, maybe sage green and also blue. A blue/purple/white colour scheme would look great against a nice shade of blue, perhaps a blue-grey, but finding an attractive blue paint for fences is probably difficult and of course it would stand out more.

Shelly L a remercié mayfly182
  • rachelmidlands
    il y a 6 ans
    Hi there, have a look on Cuprinols website as it allows you to see their colours on a fence/shed etc, before you buy. I agree with above comment, that a black or dark grey would look too dark especially given the large expanse of fencing to be painted. Dark green and dark brown also wouldn't do justice to your planting. Personally I would go for a deep purple, Cuprinol Berry or Lavender, the grayish tones in the lavender would look great with your colour scheme and really show off the greenery.
    Shelly L a remercié rachelmidlands
  • Carolina
    il y a 6 ans

I'd go for a slate grey (Urban Slate, Cuprinol) or a grey blue like Cuprinol's Inky Stone colour. Something like that would be a good neutral background for plants. Although I have to say that I like the lavender that Rachel mentions too.

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    il y a 6 ans

I would go for a black fence. It will show off the green foliage and plants off. I also think it looks rather striking.

Here are a few examples.

Shannon

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Shelly.

I would go for a soft light grey. It connects well with the outside by reacting with the sky. Green always seems to be too different to the glass and foliage that it stands out and black I think is a little harsh for the area and will give it a very heavy feel. You want it to discreetly disappear with a pleasing feel which grey offers.

I hope it helps and would love to see the finished look! Gina

Shelly L a remercié Create Perfect
  • PRO
    Barclay Interiors Ltd
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

We think Hague Blue by Farrow and Ball. Dark but not too dark, it will look fantastic if you plant some green climbers..

Shelly L a remercié Barclay Interiors Ltd
  • Jonathan
    il y a 6 ans
    Personally I think a cream/ ivory/ stone colour is very nice next to a period property
    Shelly L a remercié Jonathan
  • PRO
    Tierra Designs Ltd
    il y a 6 ans
    Hi, dark grey or black. The darker the better. Certainly if there is a good palette of planting in front of it. The foliage stands out against the dark colour and the fence looks like dark space behind, essentially disappearing and blurring the boundary. By painting it lighter you will highlight the boundary.
    By looking at the above pictures posted before you can see the black fence is far less noticeable than the lighter grey. It all depends on the planting on and in front of it though.
    Shelly L a remercié Tierra Designs Ltd
  • Kittihawke
    il y a 6 ans
    I'd say lavender as it will appear to recede
    Shelly L a remercié Kittihawke
  • Juliet Docherty
    il y a 6 ans

If you paint it a tone darker than it is now, then the concrete posts will become very obvious, unless you can paint them the same colour (which I'm not sure you can with the same product). I would either leave it as it looks natural or paint it light warm grey as suggested above.

• Carolina
    il y a 6 ans

Maybe this helps you to decide...

Shelly L a remercié Carolina
  • Najeebah
    il y a 6 ans
    leave it be, natural look and minimal maintenance/ a brown very close to it/ a brown or beige with slight green tinge/ a very light, warm grey

anything else will look stark which you don't want, and age terribly. non neutral colours, or very dark colours will not blend in invisibly, and will show the natural colour more starkly when it fades, also showing up bird mess, cracks or chips, etc far more
  • PRO
  • Sonia
    il y a 6 ans
    It's very fashionable at the moment to paint fences black or grey. That's all very well, but the paint will peel and fade in time which will look awful. Painting it will make more work for you in the future. I've seen decking painted dark grey but it looks bloomin' awful when it started to chip and peel! I personally would leave the fence aux naturale. The shrubs and plants will soon make it disappear.
  • Carolina
    il y a 6 ans

I have to disagree. If you use a stain that covers, rather than a paint, it won't peel and won't look awful.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 6 ans

Use special stain for deck, it will not chip in time. I like cedar color.Looks natural.

• Sonia
    il y a 6 ans
    I've used proper fence stain and it does eventually fade and peel. Fence stain doesn't last forever.
  • Najeebah
    il y a 6 ans
    stain won't be as bad as paint, but it would remain something of an issue. climate plays a role too
  • lisa77226
    il y a 6 ans
    I used Cuprinol dark walnut (I believe) on my summerhouse at my last house and it did just what you're after. It blended it away without looking unnatural. Plants became the thing you saw and it was v low maintenance. It was somewhere close to the second photo Carolina posted. A bit darker but not as dark as the third photo.
  • lisa77226
    il y a 6 ans
    Here's an old photo (note the fence on the left was not the same colour and was not chosen by me. The fence on the right was my neighbours boundary and was shockingly awful!) The summer house colour is the one I mean...
    Shelly L a remercié lisa77226
  • Alison Ardrey
    il y a 6 ans
    Black
    Shelly L a remercié Alison Ardrey
  • minnie101
    il y a 6 ans

Hi. I have to say I personally like dark grey or black as the plants stand out against it but I also agree with comments re maintenance etc having painted the fence in my last house which was hard work! Little Greene sell invisible green paint which was developed by Humphrey Repton for painting fences, railings and garden buildings so they'd blend with the vegetation

Shelly L a remercié minnie101
  • turquoisetree53
    il y a 6 ans

consider planting a hedge or multi plant boundary... to escape the American mid west look given by the fence.

• Shelly L
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Wow!! I've had loads of great advice on this thread - thank you all so much!! I have decided . . . . . .

I will be painting my fence Cuprinol Ducksback Silver Copse! I've just painted the first panel and think it will look amazing - great background colour - a mid grey - PERFECT!!! I will post pics as soon as it is finished!

Thanks again for all of your fantastic advice!!! Love this website! Shelly x

• Shelly L
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Here are pics so far . . . There is a lot of fence to paint!!

(this first panel only has one coat, but you get an idea)

• Carolina
    il y a 6 ans

Looks great! Will be a great background for your plants. Good luck.

• Sonia
    il y a 6 ans
    What a gorgeous colour, very natural. It's that lovely silver that wood tends to eventually fade out to if left untreated. Well done with your choice as you've had so many suggestions!
    Shelly L a remercié Sonia
  • Najeebah
    il y a 6 ans
    I still don't like the painted fence idea, but regardless, that looks like it's coming along quite well. Thanks for the update!
  • Shelly L
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Najeebah, It is a stain more than a paint so won't chip off. Thanks!

• Najeebah
    il y a 6 ans
    good to know
  • rachelmidlands
    il y a 6 ans
    Wow, it looks gorgeous. Love how the grey shows a slightly blueish hint. Should weather really nicely. Well done.
    Shelly L a remercié rachelmidlands
  • Sandra Marshall
    il y a 6 ans
    Wow. It is lovely
    Shelly L a remercié Sandra Marshall
  • Dundrum 16
    il y a 6 ans
    Fabulous job - you must be so pleased and proud.
    Shelly L a remercié Dundrum 16
  • twamleyk
    il y a 6 ans

lovely!

Shelly L a remercié twamleyk
  • Carolina
    il y a 6 ans

Fabulous! I love it :-) Next year you won't even notice it's a new garden. It really looks fantastic.

• Sally88
    il y a 5 ans

Great choice

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».