Houzz Logo Print
carrieturi22

Need help with curb appeal!!

carrieturi22
il y a 10 ans
We live at the end of a cul de sac. Our house is rather plain and I would like some opinions on how to improve the curb appeal. We also need to replace the shutters and would like suggestions on colors or other ideas.

Commentaires (25)

• pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Can you go for more high end garage doors? At the least, paint to match your house color.

And, an easy, easy fix is a DIY concrete stain for the driveway. My husband and I did ours (mixed two to achieve color desired) and it made a huge difference!
  • PRO
    Mark Wilson, ASLA
    il y a 10 ans
    Right now you've got a nice house to go with your huge garage. The scale of the garage is the issue. Try adding an "eyebrow arbor" against the home and spanning above the two main garage structures. This will allow the growth of vines that will crawl up the arbor. Type eyebrow arbor in your Houzz search...I did and got 8,902 hits. Remove the arbor over the front walk and relocate the perennials bordering the drive to a single arcing bed from drive to front corner of walk at the current arbor location. Let the grass the sweep to the driveway. Also, not a big fan of concrete stains because although it adds a nice color, it's relatively high maintenance to keep as the color will fade and change. As new concrete cracks appear, you'll have to paint more stain down into the crack as the concrete below surface is not stained. Good Luck
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    il y a 10 ans
    Although it would be just an eye candy, add dormers above the garage to balance out the main part of the house.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Our concrete stain has lasted for years, in an area with lots of winter rain and summer temps that can hit "the hottest spot in the world today". Maybe it was the brand that was used. Wish I could remember which! Really a huge improvement in cutting down on the glare and "softening" the look.
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    If you find out the name of the stain, I would really like to know. I didn't realize how bad the driveway looked! What I really need to know is what color shutters should I use. Any suggestions?
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Carrie--Dytecture has a nice idea with the dormers. Because of the roof break, I suggest 3 dormers centered on the garage openings--whether shed or gable, that is an owner's preference upon seeing both. Although this (pic) is a three story home, note the rhythm and placement of the dormers, as they are centered over major openings. Also, some sort of pediment detail (see pic) to draw your eye to the front door would be nice--you may have to change out your light fixtures flanking the door to work with implementing this. Remove the arbor and lattice out front of the door. Given the slight cantilevered upper floor, and a short distance between the top of the entry door and the bottom of the window, I suggest something flat roofed with columns flanking the doorway. Ignore the rail above. Always consult a local architect and contractor, in order to verify compliance with your HOA and bldg dept prior to proceeding. Price is what you pay but value is what you get. Good luck with this project.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Carrie, just went out to the garage and, alas, those stain containers were long gone to recycling! But remember we got ours at Meeks (which may be local to northern Calif.). Just go to a good home store and I'm sure they can help.

Yes, the look of the driveway is often overlooked. We moved to a house in the country where the builder thought, "the more concrete the better". We vastly improved our look by cutting away some of our driveway, enlarging our flower beds and then replacing some with an aggregate (the stuff with the small stones showing).

My hubby and I then put the stain on. Did our huge drive in only a morning for very few dollars. That was more than 10 years ago, and it probably is time for a redo. Very inexpensive with big bang!
  • libradesigneye
    il y a 10 ans
    I would keep the arbor but stain it white and get a vine on it - it is a bit too short so it hides the front door a little where it is - if it won't mess up your plantings, keep it but move it so it is perpendicular to the house and you step under it as you step off the drive onto the walk - just 18" off of the drive or so - it will visually fill the blank space to the left of the front door then but the front door will be more open. I might lift the front door side of the tree up a bit, but in an arching fashion. The eyebrow arch over the two car garage is a good idea - probably cheaper than new garage doors. Painting the doors and gutter the base color is a good idea, but if they are prefinished that may be more maintenance than you want.

Right now the base gray / taupe color has a purple undertone, why it is fighting with the green. If you keep the base color for now, and the white doors, add the arbor in white painted wood, try white shutters to help balance the garage and go for a navy front door - something like sw naval or sw commodore. Take the lights that turn up down, and replace them with something that hangs down, perhaps something that will reference nautical (in black to match your address plaque?) See this cutie - http://www.lightingdirect.com/progress-lighting-p5763-prairie-single-light-solid-brass-small-outdoor-wall-lantern-with-wire-frame-and-clear-seeded-glass-shade/p358177

I like your flowers at the curb, and would just add some flowering shrubs to the foundation beds - can see your other beds are coming along. You just need all the garden planting areas to fill and feel lush - adding succulents intermixed with your flowering plants may help that feel depending on your zone. Darling place at the end of the cul de sac!
  • Linda Foreman
    il y a 10 ans
    Your house looks tiny at the end of that huge concrete driveway and the garage roof overwhelms the house as it is a huge expanse of bland tile. It seems that changing the colour of the driveway would go a long way to making a change. What about monobloc for the driveway or some other version of interesting coloured stone? What about some planters to the side of the driveway with coloured blooms to break up the expanse? It looks like your neighbour has some grass instead of concrete. The driveway is long enough, and wide enouogh to have a more restricted opening. Perhaps an ornate lampost at the end, some pots or even a small planted area to the left hand side would certainly break up the monotony of the look. I love the idea of dormer windows in the garage - but it seems a tremendous expense for cosmetic only. Maybe you need to replace some of the tile with another colour, perhaps even a pattern. Other commenters have given some good ideas - I hope you find a solution.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    The 3rd bay on the left doesn't have a driveway up to it? I see grass. Could you add a mound with a (someday) large tree to that area? That would help to bring things into proportion.
  • Johnnie Grozenski
    il y a 10 ans
    Pcmom1. Can u post a pic of your driveway? Have a huge concrete patio and have been thinking about doing it. Thx!
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    I will try to post a picture later today (never done that!). But really, it is so easy. Remember we bought 3 samples to try, and ended up mixing two of them for the color we decided on. Find an out of the way spot to try out. Just remember this is stain (do not buy paint!).
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    il y a 10 ans
    Carrie--Here is a better photo of the pediment detail I was envisioning for the entry. Best wishes on your the house updates!
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    That is awesome. I like the idea. Thank everyone for all your great suggestions. I really appreciate it!
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Well here's my before and after! The pictures don't do it justice. I love it. Thanks for all the great ideas and comments.
  • mousemaker
    il y a 10 ans
    how very nice!! your home looks warm and inviting :)
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Looking so good!

Couple of more thoughts for you. When you can upgrade garage doors, for now I would paint them in the dark green trim color. That expanse of white just sort of grabs your attention.

And a very easy DIY is to stain the driveway. Hubby and I did ours around 10 years ago and will be redoing next week. We are using Mason Select Concrete Stain, mixing the colors of slate with adobe. It really takes the glare away and just looks richer.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    il y a 10 ans
    Much better!
  • Margaret Bannerman
    il y a 10 ans
    Nice redo...and probably not too expensive...I agree with painting the garage doors darker to match trim, and staining the concrete. The stain quiets it and blends in the imperfections.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    Finished staining the concrete yesterday. Used a mixture of 2/3 slate 1/3 adobe (Mason Select). The first coat must be sprayed on (use an airless sprayer), second coat can be rolled on (but we sprayed both). If you are willing to tape off large sections you can get a look like above. Cost including the sprayer about $500 and we have a big driveway.
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Pebblestone...I live in Ohio and was wondering where I would find your products?
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    PCmom...could you post some pics of your driveway??? I would love to see what it looks like!!
  • carrieturi22
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Also, does anyone know HOW to paint a vinyl garage door? I checked with Lowe's and they thought it would peel after a few years. I would love to paint them but I don't want a mess later on.
  • pcmom1
    il y a 10 ans
    I will try a little later. Hate to admit that I have never done that! The stain really is a no lose situation. Just order the sample sizes and play around with the colors, mixing etc. Of course you need to try on the concrete! But it does give a richer look and reduces glare so much. Just don't freak at the first coat: it will look very splotchy.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».