Houzz Logo Print
monterica

Just bought this home. Help with front entrance!

monterica
il y a 6 ans

Commentaires (26)

• monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

First time posting on here. This is the front entrance to my new home. It's a ranch style home, built in 1973. I plan on putting a tall plant in right corner and black iron bench by the door and possibly a hanging light fixture near the door as well. As for the mulch and walkway, I'm unsure of what to do. There are small existing plants in the mulch : A small rose bush and three large plants. (I'll post pics of said plants because I don't know plant names!) I would like to do an acid stain or even stamp the walkway to make it look like slate stones but again I need help with direction. P.S. I'm going to change out the entire door as well. I need a door with some character. I'm open to any suggestions! Thanks.

• flopsycat1
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Can you post a pic of the whole facade? For starters, shutters on the large window to the left of the entry should be removed as they do not fit the window. Can the hose be taken down, or at least placed in something to conceal it? A large pot with flowers or foliage to the right of the door. Plantings in the bed to the left of the walkway. I like the color of the siding and door. Seeing more of the house, including a street view, would be helpful. Good luck with your new home.

monterica a remercié flopsycat1
  • monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Here's the street view of the house. I'll try to get another angle. The first pics are what you see when you're walking up to the front door where the lamp post is located.

Edit: added more pics.

• phuninthesun
    il y a 6 ans

I would add more porch area and widen the path as well.

monterica a remercié phuninthesun
  • l pinkmountain
    il y a 6 ans

You might consider putting some wall art on the wall to the right (looking at the photo) of the door. I have seen some great stuff in various lawn and garden places in my travels. You might even be able to pick something nice up at a antique or Goodwill type place. My friend finds all kinds of cool vintage things for pennies in places like that.

monterica a remercié l pinkmountain
  • Brian Edward
    il y a 6 ans

could you widen door? not sure what's behind it? I would also consider a veneer for brick in that area only something like a ledgestone it will break up brick and modernize house. I like idea of widening entry path.

monterica a remercié Brian Edward
  • woodteam5
    il y a 6 ans

OK that is a very plain door on a very nice home! If you could add a window that would be great. Other then that, all the ideas above, widening the path (great idea), flowers, light, hiding the hose, maybe a bench and a door with a window are all great fixes to make it more welcoming. Congratulations

monterica a remercié woodteam5
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 6 ans

The trees may need some professional attention first. Then pull out that clumpy hedge that is blocking the carport. You should plan to redo the landscaping over a few years with a plan laid out by a local nursery. Take pix to them and let them help you choose plants that will thrive in your area and conditions and you can install over time. What is there now probably needs to go and the soil probably needs improving.

monterica a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • Mary D
    il y a 6 ans

Hi phuninthesun How did you do that photo rendering? I would like to do something similar to a photo I have of my house. Is it an app?

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    il y a 6 ans

I love phuninthesun's idea. I think updating the front door might help as well, maybe something with some decorative glass. Also I would buy a fancy looking hose box if the hose have to stay there so you can hide it nicely.

• groveraxle
    il y a 6 ans

A few refinements:

monterica a remercié groveraxle
  • phuninthesun
    il y a 6 ans

Mary D There are many out there. I prefer just Photoshop or old school Microsoft Paint. To change just paint colors for interior/exterior, I use Sherwin Williams Colorsnap Visualizer.

monterica a remercié phuninthesun
  • monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Wow! Thanks for your responses! Especially phuninthesun and groveraxle for taking the time to create those very nice ideas! I knew I could find some creativity here. I have one downside, the siding is asbestos. :-( So I'm hesitant to touch it or mess with it. I'd love to put those nice narrow windows along the door but there is no room on the inside. I'll definitely keep these ideas in mind. I found a beautiful solid wood door at a Picker's store (antique and old stuff) but they sold it to someone else when I went back. :-( I refuse to buy a door at Home Depot or Lowes. Haha Keep the ideas coming. I truly appreciate it!

• monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Groveraxle, I love the dog!!

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 6 ans

Are you sure it is asbestos? Seems like by 73 they might have already started making the replica siding in cement. I used them to replace some missing pieces on a rental property I owned. Mine were special ordered through Home Depot.

monterica a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Yes, it's asbestos. I eventually want to replace the siding but that will be done later.

• PRO
    Lubbock Custom Coating
    il y a 6 ans

Have you ever thought of doing your sidewalk with super traxx or flake flooring. Those two things go over concrete, and you do not have to look at dull/cracked concrete. It gives concrete a distinctive look, and both are durable.

Front Porch Flake flooring · Plus d'infos

above is style flake

SUPER TRAXX SAND COATING · Plus d'infos
    above is a style of super traxx

monterica a remercié Lubbock Custom Coating
  • PRO
    Go Pavers
    il y a 6 ans

Or, instead of acid stain on the existing concrete, or stamped concrete, consider replacing that concrete which will eventually crack, with a long-lasting paver...

Altadena Driveway & Walkway · Plus d'infos

Pavers Used: Angelus - Estate Cobble - Tuscan color

monterica a remercié Go Pavers
  • PRO
    Lubbock Custom Coating
    il y a 6 ans
    Without having to replace the old the concrete or remove it. You can use a flake, a color quartz sand or a micro topping to repair what you have with years to come before replacing it and a new look that will make your neighbors jealous.
    monterica a remercié Lubbock Custom Coating
  • monterica
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Go Pavers I've really considered that as well. It might have to be something to be done in the next year or so. Lubbock Custom coating, what is a micro topping?

• PRO
    Lubbock Custom Coating
    il y a 6 ans

It is a thin concrete over lay.

• er612
    il y a 6 ans

• kitasei
    il y a 6 ans

No no no don't ruin your modern house by "updating" it with cutesy (stained glass/ornamentalia/Americana). Look at the best Usonian/Wright houses for inspiration. If you want a bench for the front porch it should be a striking simple one - e.g. not traditional or ornate. Likewise with plantings. The wide entrance path bordered by gaudy annuals was the most egregious suggestion. To each his own, but you must have liked the modernist aesthetic when you bought the house. Honor it.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    il y a 6 ans

Here is a look to consider.

• PRO
    Milano Doors
    il y a 6 ans

Hello. I think, something like it will approach

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».