Houzz Logo Print
anne_nail

Fireplace Surround

Anne Nail
il y a 6 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 6 ans

I want to replace the slate around my fireplace. It has a dusty flat look and it is just what the builder put in, I would love to personalize. The mantle is fairly traditional but the rest of my house is more transitional to modern. I have a lot of West Elm & CB2 decor. I have navy & white chevron curtains on either side. I would love a wood tile but I don't think it will

flow well against my wood floors? Hexagon, Herringbone, I would love any of that just concerned how it will vibe with the curtains. I would love some ideas of what to use to replace the slate?!

Commentaires (4)

• 111ideahound
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

I don't know why it is bothering you. You could put in a gray tile. When I searched, "white fireplace mantel" the first one that came up was almost identical to yours, then another and another...

Woodvale Drive · Plus d'infos

Kensington, Period Apartment · Plus d'infos

Anne Nail a remercié 111ideahound
  • suzyq53
    il y a 6 ans

The tile is not sticking out as an issue to me. If you want more modern you would replace the surround with something sleeker. If you just want the tile shiny, you could use a gloss sealer. Overall, it looks nice and clean and unintrusive as it is. I would not use any decor on the mantel or hearth and just leave it plain.

I like the curtain fabric, but the rods should be much higher and therefore the curtains would need to be longer and you need larger panels, two for each window.

Anne Nail a remercié suzyq53
  • PRO
    A & E Designs/Decorating Den Interiors
    il y a 6 ans

If you are truly wanting to go transitional. I would suggest painting the walls a soft gray and painting the fireplace mantle either a black or a dark gray. If you want to keep it white, I suggest a marble type face and hearth like below. I would change the drapery panels to be more like

It is a great space. It won't take a lot to make it pop. Think about your color scheme and keep it simple with just a pop of color to add some drama.

Anne Nail a remercié A & E Designs/Decorating Den Interiors
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    il y a 6 ans

Before you tear it out, you might want to try wiping it down with Tung Oil, which we do for all our slate installation. It will darken the slate to almost black and give it a semi-gloss finish. It will smell pretty strongly for a while, but it dries to the touch in about an hour. Wipe all of the excess off before it dries.

If you still feel like changing it after, you haven't spent a lot of money. It think your very traditional dentilled mantel is holding you back a little, more so than the slate.

Here's a way to update it and keep your slate hearth: try some stacked slate where the vertical slate pieces are:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/dark-stone-veneer-fireplace-with-wood-mantel-traditional-family-room-vancouver-phvw-vp~3135227 

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».