Houzz Logo Print
straitlover

Opinions on XIM primer to paint laminate?

straitlover
il y a 6 ans

The backsplash area in my little condo has some kind of laminate material that I can't take down (runs behind the cabinets). When I was having my wall paint mixed at the paint store, I was asking the guy about how to handle the backsplash. He said the only really good primer to use on it is XIM. What do the paint pros here think, do you agree? If so, which kind as it looks as if they have several kinds to choose from (small area, probably only need a quart):

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/xim/

Another suggestion was to cover it w/ a thin masonite board and paint over that. Would that be better?

I will be using Ben Moore Regal Select paint in a matte finish mixed in SW's Amazing Gray if it matters. Thanks for any suggestions!

Commentaires (8)

• straitlover
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Bumping hoping to get an answer from the pros here. Faron??????

• Faron79
    il y a 6 ans

Just saw this! There's so many other types of posts here nowadays, that it's hard to isolate the "painting issues" posts!

Yes, do the XIM. GOOD stuff!

Make sure it's lightly washed first with POWDERED Dirtex, & a quick light rinse. Let dry well....or use hair-dryer! :-)

Next to the sink, I would choose a higher sheen.

Faron

• straitlover
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

They have eggshell, pearl and semi-gloss. I don't want too shiny. Pearl OK? Description says it's a satin like finish.

• straitlover
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Thanks for your help!

• Faron79
    il y a 6 ans

Hey....we like project-pics too here!

Faron

• straitlover
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

If I ever get finished I will post some. I've painted the cabinets and had the countertops re-done. I was supposed to be painting walls in LR/kitchen/hallway over Christmas but my back and leg changed those plans (couldn't stand up more than 2-3 minutes at a time).

• PRO
    JJ Painting Services
    il y a 6 ans

For absolute guaranteed results I would use Tikkurila Otex High Adhesion primer- the oil based one. Hope this gets to you in time. but in future use this. Most pros like myself use this product on slippery surfaces, you can even use it on glass or tiles.

straitlover a remercié JJ Painting Services
Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».