Houzz Logo Print
mwallahora

I think I just made the worst mistake! help!

I just had my wallpaper installed, and I ABSOLUTELY hate it! Too much going on, right?! what can I do to fix this? If it's even fixable! New furniture?! I know, what was I thinking!

Commentaires (225)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Melissa that looks GORGEOUS!...so happy you went with the white and that is just the primer....looks so elegant and now the wallpaper is a beautiful accent!:)) Sorry I kept pushing the white but my gut told me that it was the way to go!

• PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    @homeinteriorswithease As soon as you mentioned it, it made sense!! Thanks a bunch!
  • greenfish1234
    il y a 6 ans

The white, the curtains, the de-cluttering. All combine to calm it down SO much.

• sbkitelady
    il y a 6 ans

I would try removing some pieces like the chalkboard and others one by one. The wall paper is busy and so much else is going on with the other pieces. If you are thinking of changing the color of the table, try different table cloth colors to see which way to go instead of having to commit straight away to paint it.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Ok Melissa...before you rehang any art...would love to help figure out what goes where or what to use....just a quick suggestion....I would not hang any wedding photos in dining room...they belong in your family room or master bedroom..I am sure they are gorgeous!

will you be hanging woven shades to match table finish or black to match hutch?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Sbkitelady...you should read the thread it will help with your suggestions:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

I would actually suggest removing the hutch....can it go in a family room or kitchen.....this dining room is so chic and glamorous now the all white walls really make the room look larger....hang a big French country style mirror to put the focus on the gorgeous chandelier..and reflect it......the window shape and hutch shape are to much the same.

• PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    @home interior with ease thank you for that. I had no idea you couldn't put wedding photos in dining room. I will move it. Do any family photos go? What wall art should i use? Also, would blinds go with the curtains there? I went and got curtains with a black edge, would hate to have to change them again.
  • PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I like the mirror idea. Any specific color for mirror?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Any wedding can go in family room and master bedroom.

family photos look best in family room.

love the idea of black trim on drapes will look fantastic!

layering woven shades under drapes looks great but certainly not necessary..if you do with the black trimmed drapes doing a woven to match dining table would add a beautiful layer and would add more warmth to the space...

mirror can be whitewashed...warm wood similar to table or antique gold or silver....but nothing black...

does your chandelier have silver or gold metal accents?

also on eBay you can find some old carved wood framed mirrors that would hang horizontal would be nice....can always change the finish..

• c13salleydold
    il y a 6 ans
    You need to think of what the focal point is in the room
    The wallpaper is now the focal point...it is a distraction to the eye....
    Nothing relaxing here....
  • Joann
    il y a 6 ans
    Looks like a fun dining room! Just enjoy having dinner in your dining room.
  • Taylor
    il y a 6 ans
    I actually really love it. I also think the clock should stay. this room gives me a very sophisticated Alice in Wonderland feel. it's adorable. the only thing I would personally change is the darkening the wood on the table and chairs. however if you dont.. it's fine. just relax.. change is scary. give yourself time to adjust before you make any big changes
  • felizlady
    il y a 6 ans
    The dining furniture doesn't go well with the flooring. Maybe a large solid rug will help that.
    There is nothing in the four picture frames.
    You CAN remove the wallpaper and paint the walls again.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Does anybody read the thread before they comment:(...so much has changed....gosh that drives me crazy;/

• deegw
    il y a 6 ans

Home Interiors - it is crazy. I was posting in a thread the other day and people were jumping all over the original poster about stuff she addressed way up thread. I'll be surprised if she ever posts again. I wouldn't. It makes us all look like vultures waiting to pick at people's mistakes.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

d_gw

glad you agree:)

I hate to sound like a crab but it drives me crazy.....because the poster really wants to get good feedback as changes are made...so reading the thread really helps...why bother posting if your feedback does not relate to what is going on??

oh well...sure glad I got that off my chest:)))))

• lydia mcdonald
    il y a 6 ans
    I like the wallpaper. The room looks much better with everything off the walls. It looks elegant. I would redo the items on top of the table.
  • lhutch13
    il y a 6 ans
    Love the changes Melissa and I’m glad u kept the wallpaper.
  • User
    il y a 6 ans
    I love your latest changes. (Yes, I read through your whole thread. haha).

I love that you are painting your walls white. Looks so good!

I agree about removing the wedding pictures. *BUT* if you like it, keep it.

I also like your wallpaper, very chic.

I'm currently re doing my bathroom for the first time, wish me luck!
  • DH
    il y a 6 ans
    that wall clock is tacky and needs to go
  • DH
    il y a 6 ans
    oh good its off lol
  • Snaggy
    il y a 6 ans

I liked it as it was !

• irvine_mercedes
    il y a 6 ans

Looked beautiful and now looks even more beautiful, love your floor, what kind do you have if you don’t mind me asking?

• Susan E
    il y a 6 ans

I like what you originally posted with some of the tweaks, and I like your wallpaper - it's fun and not too much!

I posted a dilemma yesterday and got only 1 suggestion... sigh... I wish I had this sort of feedback!

• Boxerpal
    il y a 6 ans

Melissa,

Love your updates! I knew you could do it, you are talented person. I wish you could come to my house and make my dining room pretty. Now, Off topic, (forgive me) What are your gorgeous floors? I just love the color. Thanks in advance.

Boxerpal/pups

• DH
    il y a 6 ans
    Susan

people play favorites a lot, they jump on the bandwagon of whos dillemma is more popular and they follow along....like high school.......

but to be fair, in defense, your post didnt have photos....just links
  • drdeb1234
    il y a 6 ans

Great clear photos draw people in. Links do not.

• silviakunst
    il y a 6 ans
    I don't like it either ! Paint over it !
  • PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    I have removed the frames off the walls! Now to find a mirror and move my hutch! oh boy. Is the hubby going to kill me when he finds out I made him make MORE holes in the walls for frames, only to have him have to spackle again, cause everything is changing again! lol!! I feel so bad for him. lol
  • PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans
    Those of you who are asking about my floor, the make is robusto
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 6 ans

Melissa..your hubby is a real trooper....just a few more holes...easy breezy:) he is soooo much appreciated!:) check your local Craigslist for mirrors..

• Boxerpal
    il y a 6 ans

Melissa, tell your husband we love all his hard work and we thank him. Love happy endings and this place looks lovely!

• nwgal
    il y a 6 ans
    Wow! Looks beautiful. I can hardly believe what a change in paint color did for the room. I bet you are glad you didn’t try painting that furniture.
  • Susan E
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Hi, DH and DrDeb1234. Thanks for the advice, but I actually posted several photos and text describing my dilemma (not a link - an honest-to-goodness posting)! I only posted a link to my thread after no one responded in order to try to direct people to my dilemma. And I found out why no one had responded! The post actually posted briefly, then apparently broke, so no one could see it! So my original post with photos was actually gone! I made a fresh post of it, and now it is up and people are responding! :)

Melissa W., sorry for going off-topic here, but I didn't want these two people to think I was only posting links!

• Pugga70
    il y a 6 ans

Very nice!!!! Your room was always lovely except that it had too much 'stuff' on the walls. The wallpaper is beautiful and added a lot of character to the room. I preferred the blue paint, but if the white really defines the space for you in reality then that's excellent!! Keep the updates coming!!

• Susan E
    il y a 6 ans

I'm with Pugga 70 on all remarks.

• PRO
    Sherri Blum Designs
    il y a 6 ans

I agree with the others who suggested less "busy" on the top portion of the walls. And don't be afraid to leave one area blank, allowing the eye a place to rest. Good luck!

• suezbell
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

It's nice as is; however, if you really don't grow to like it -- consider adding wainscoting (white vertical boards or paneling)) over the wallpaper -- at least on the longest wall.

• doreenspader
    il y a 6 ans

Oh yay! Melissa-I was hoping you’d post “after” pictures! Still loving the wallpaper. The room looks light and breezy. And the topiaries are a perfect touch! Now-your sweet husband deserves a great meal in that lovely dining room!

• Kivi
    il y a 6 ans

It does look way better once you decluttered the walls and changed the curtains, but I have to confess that I liked the contrasting wall colour better (in your Jan12th photo). I thought it had an elegant look to it, with character, and worked well with your wallpaper (although the table colour was an issue that likely needed to be addressed). Obviously others (including yourself) prefer the white. It is very interesting how a change in wall colour can alter a space and give it a very different look and feel, and I'm glad you are finding the one that works for you. You've made some nice choices.

• Taylor
    il y a 6 ans
    I just wanted to add that my comment above was after looking at the updated photos. I was sad to see the clock wasn't there. (unless it was cropped out of the photo)
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    il y a 6 ans

Looks beautiful! Great updates to make the space cleaner and warmer.

• PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Very last post about this dining room!! only because I consider it completed! Thank you to all for all your help! Special thanks to @homeinteriorsatease! You def hit the spot on what to do! I would have never thought about the white paint without you!!! I appreciate it so much! I love my dining room! I still plan on getting the blinds, but besides that, this is it! Thank you again!
  • PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    here are the pics
  • PRO
    Novem tile and cabinetry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    keep in mind, pictures do it no justice!!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 5 ans

OMG...it is so elegant and charming all in one....the Topiaries..Simple white framed mirror..perfect you got it right...all the white looks so amazing!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    il y a 5 ans

I love that you turned the table!

• hbeing
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Oh gosh, hate to say it, but I like the wall paper! Plan b = paint over or re-paper. I don't mind saying the new white walls are too sterile for a cozy dining room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 3 ans

This post is 3 years old.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».