Houzz Logo Print
rae_perry646

To paint/not to paint wood panel wall around fireplace and what color(s)?

Rae Perry
il y a 10 ans
We just purchased this house and would like some opinion on painting or not painting the wood panel wall around the fireplace. If yes, what color? And what should we do with the beams? I'm leaning towards leaving the beams natural. I would like it to feel younger and bring life back to it! The furniture in the photo is the Previous owners, so please don't take that in to consideration. Thank you for all input!

Commentaires (48)

• nancywfulton
    il y a 10 ans
    Paint them white.
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    I would make the beams dark brown and the mantel as well. Paint the ceiling Dove White and the paneling Oyster.
  • ahostler
    il y a 10 ans
    Take a picture and play with it on homestyler I like dark and with
  • ahostler
    il y a 10 ans
    Dark paint would make it more contemporary white more traditional
  • Bonbon
    il y a 10 ans
    Yes paint! Your wood furniture, fireplace and lovely beams will become focal points. I would stick with your wall colour.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    If you don't like them, paint. Lighter and darker colors can work with any style. Painting a lighter color will make the room brighter and feel larger.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    Leave the beams natural to pick up on the other furnishings. Paint the paneling a light color and the mantle the same.
  • pearlmelba
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Hi Rae Perry
    A nice room with cottage character!!!!
    Maybe......Paint the wood paneling first and the mantel ... ...To see what it looks like with the wooden beams
    Or you could even bleach the beams rather then glossing them.

But then if panting the panelling you may have another dilemma!!!!!
    Should i bleach the fireplace/ whitewash One dilemma is enough for anyone lol
    It's always good to paint before you get all your furniture in place
    But maybe paint the paneling and then put (your own)
    Furniture in to see how it all looks
    What's under the carpet do you know?Is it a wooden floor?
    Just asking ...... Not meaning you to take up your carpet .......As you will have lots to do already
    Good Luck with it all
    Post pictures when done
    Good Luck in your new home
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thank you all! There are beautiful hard wood floors under that area carpet actually. It's a lot of wood for one room, and I prefer a cottage look....I hadn't even thought about painting the mantle! Keep the ideas coming!!
  • ahostler
    il y a 10 ans
    Rae perry
    Since you like cottage look at some of the pictures on this website for ideas. But I would paint the walls and the beams not sure on the mantel. Couple of nice size pieces sofa,love seat or chairs depending on how much company you have. Nice coffee table reclaimed lumber type
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    Family Room · Plus d'infos

if you paint it might look something like this
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    I agree 'anne dee' except not painting the brick. Leave the beams and paint the paneling, I mentioned previously. I also like her photo above.
  • zoey512
    il y a 10 ans
    I like the pic anne dee posted. You could even rip out the paneling and put up dry wall to redo the look completely. Open beam are awesome but they don't get noticed with all that wood on the wall. And definitely take out the carpet and have hardwood floors redone! I'd also add a big, white mantle to make it look crisp and updated.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    il y a 10 ans
    You have a lot of wood. Beams are great leave alone. I would remove wood by fireplace, or dry wall over. paint I like the grays pewter by Benjamin Moore is nice so is Edgewood. So many you would of course paint whole rm and ceiling would be white as well as trim, incl doors.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    il y a 10 ans
    Is this a TV room? Put build ins in white on bigger wall for TV.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    il y a 10 ans
    You could put build ins on opposite wall to balance it out. After looking at your doors keep stained do not paint.
  • pearlmelba
    il y a 10 ans
    @anne dee...... Love the picture you posted
    A nice cottage look
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    I posted as an inspiration pic so Rae Perry could choose the elements she preferred.
    . Easy stuff!!
  • pearlmelba
    il y a 10 ans
    Lots of elements in one picture
    Can not wait to see ........how her room evolves
    Hope Rae Perry keeps us all posted
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Love all the ideas! This is a family room, floors don't need refinishing, and there are built ins already, except they lead in to the eat-in dining area. I don't think we are going to add built-ins on that wall....but a nice idea! I am so u certain how solid white will work....I know I can't go back! Does any one have an opinion on the pickled-paint look for the panelling? I've seen a few images of a pickled white and pickled blue paneled living room and liked it.....but I'm not sure I have the right kind of wood panelling for that??
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    The ceiling in this picture is sort of what I'm thinking. Thoughts or opinions?
  • PRO
    PARZ Designs
    il y a 10 ans
    I would not paint the paneling, maybe you could finish it with a darker color. In the future I would change the furniture to make it so that they have a great contrast with the wood walls and beams. I am a carpenter/finisher and that is probably why I almost always say stick with wood as wood!
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    I totally understand the logic to not painting ( daughter of a carpenter), but what are your thoughts on a pickled wash Parz Designs?
  • ahostler
    il y a 10 ans
    I really like the sample picture you found I would say you're on you're way :)
  • PRO
    PARZ Designs
    il y a 10 ans
    A pickled white wash could work - what type of wood are the walls? Some woods look good pickled, but some do not pickle well. Overall pickling is cool as it keeps the wood looking like wood, but knocks down the overpowering look it can sometmes have. Here is a picture of a pickled maple cabinet which keeps the look of the wood while knocking down the color which can look awesome! I would say really it really depends on the wood.
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    I believe they are pine. What about a pickled blue wash?
  • PRO
    PARZ Designs
    il y a 10 ans
    Here is a picture of pickled pine, as you can see the knots will stick out which would look pretty cool as they do not accept color very well, but I would suggest either of these colors (one if blue and the other is a blue grey). But in the event of pickling I would absolutely leave the beams natural as they will contrast and complement the walls very well. Good Luck!
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Love this idea! Thank you so much!
  • PS Coletta
    il y a 10 ans
    I would paint the paneling off white and leave the beams as they are. Add a beefier mantel, get rid of the brass gas insert or paint it, fill with shabby chic furnishings and stay with simple patterns and colors. It's a nice space!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    I 'm thinking that pickling the walls may show too many knots and become very busy. Altho I like that finish.
  • pearlmelba
    il y a 10 ans
    HI just asking is pickling ..... Like bleaching or white wash (as I mentioned in an above post )
    Rae Perry ....... If you did that then didn't like it
    Easy to paint over.
    But if you painted then decided
    You'd like to be pickling lol
    Then it's near on impossible to do
    PARZ Designs............ Love the blue pickling !!!!!
    I think it can be nice to see the knots in wood

But understand about looking to busy
    Well maybe depends how many knots you have
    In your wood
    (I now have visions of Rae Perry counting the knots in the paneling)
    And on that note thumbs up to Pickling !!!!!
    Good luck and get Pickling
  • pearlmelba
    il y a 10 ans
    Don't you just love Hozz
    I have just typed in pickling and have been looking through
    Over 500 or so pictures
    Oh well better get back to the housework
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    Here is a drawing for ideas.
    Paint focal wall and secondary color for other walls, wide white moldings, white mantle and wood flooring. Black fireplace frame.
    Not to scale. Perspective may be off.

Before and After
    Before - Living Room paint, molding, floor · Plus d'infos
    After - Living Room paint, molding, flooring · Plus d'infos
  • bevballew
    il y a 10 ans
    I would do the pickling. Love what you picked. If you don't like it then you can just paint over it. Extra work but better safe than sorry!
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    il y a 10 ans
    My parents had the same issue and painted the wood white, left the overhead beams wood colored, did the floors in wood and left the fireplace in the natural brick. The room was beautiful when finished!
  • PRO
    ZS Interior Design
    il y a 10 ans
    I would paint the wood wall panels white and replace the carpet with a med-darker wide planked wood floor, stain the beams and mantel to match the color of the floor. I would also add molding and baseboards. Would give a nice warm yet crisp inviting feel.
  • hanknliza
    il y a 9 ans
    Are you able to post a pic of YOUR pieces in the room - they do not need to be arranged, we all will help you out with that - TeeHee!
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    It's complete! Thank you to everyone who offered ideas and advice! Greatly appreciated!
  • C'sPeas N Pod
    il y a 9 ans
    Looks good. turned out nice.
    Rae Perry a remercié C'sPeas N Pod
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    I love the soft muted tone of the paint color. It looks great. Good job!!
    Rae Perry a remercié LB Interiors
  • PRO
    Southern Perfection Painting Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

I would personally just have it varnished to preserve the beautiful look of the wood. But if you really want to paint it, any color that you want for your room will do. Just choose the best shade of color that would go well with the room.

Rae Perry a remercié Southern Perfection Painting Inc.
  • lhutch13
    il y a 6 ans
    Looks good! Great job!
    Rae Perry a remercié lhutch13
  • uphamk
    il y a 6 ans

Just beautiful! What color did you paint the wood around fireplace? Did you white wash the brick? I have similar situation now.

Rae Perry a remercié uphamk
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 6 ans

It looks light & bright! Very nice!

Rae Perry a remercié LB Interiors
  • Rae Perry
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Thank you! Unfortunately, I don’t know the paneled wall color but it’s in the very soft and light grey family. I used a watered down Annie Sloan chalk paint for the fire place. It was messy but worth it!

• mbhb
    il y a 6 ans
    Looks beautiful!
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    il y a 6 ans

what a transformation! thank you for sharing the updated pictures. looks great !!

xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

** CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA AND CUSTOM SECTIONAL PROJECTS

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».