Houzz Logo Print
adrienne_hua35

New home and backyard needs love. What type of designer to call for?

Olive H
il y a 6 ans

My 'new construction' house is almost ready to close and the backyard is in desperate need of love. My primary plan is to add a fence around the perimeter of my property, and to add a deck because my yard slopes downward (and I'd like to increase the amount of usable space). And then some low maintenance plant life, possibly stairs to walk down would be nice.

Who am I supposed to call for help on all of this? A landscape designer? Landscape architect? Patio/deck designer? I'd prefer to call one person, and then have them make any necessary calls, but I still have no idea where to start. The yard is essentially a very blank slate.

Commentaires (4)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    il y a 6 ans

I would suggest a Landscape Architect. He or She will have design expertise as well as knowledge of plant species and hardscape materials. Most Landscape Architects also have contacts who can do the actual installation. The Landscape Architect will also oversee the installation so that everything is done according to plan.

Olive H a remercié Norwood Architects
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    il y a 6 ans

An experienced landscape designer that works in association with a full service landscape contractor or has access to one is equally qualified to undertake such a project. I've done a number of them that fit that criteria. And construction or installation oversight is part of our brief as well.

Just an FYI, but many LA's do not undertake a lot of residential projects as the fee base is too small. And many are not that horticulturally savvy either as plant ID or basic horticulture tend not to be standard curriculum subjects in most LA universities.

Olive H a remercié gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • PRO
    American Beauty Landscape Design
    il y a 6 ans

Hi Olive, First congratulations on not having your builder involved in your landscape project, I see so many new home owners victimized by the "builder's guy" . From your wish list I would agree that an landscape architect might be more than you need. May I suggest that you contact "The Association Of Professional Landscape Designers" , You will find many qualified professional Design Build Firms that can help You make your wish list a reality. They will be able to show you how to maximize the budget so you get more wow factor!! Good luck wish you were closer

Olive H a remercié American Beauty Landscape Design
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    il y a 6 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 6 ans

Either an experienced landscape designer or a landscape architect could work here. Ask around for recommendations, have a budget in mind that is reasonable for the work you want done (this doesn't sound like a job with a budget of a couple thousand dollars) and when you start talking with folks, ask for references and to see work they've done previously. Decide if your budget will let all the work happen at once or if you want to do some parts now such as hardscape and groundcover and will need to do the rest of the work in stages. Realize that timing is such that in many parts of the country, everyone is starting to think about work that they want done this season, so at this time of year you may find that professionals are fairly busy. Consider whether you can live with a season of something like mulch or a green cover crop or hydroseeded grass to hold the soil while plans are made by someone you really want to do the work or if you want construction to start this season.

Olive H a remercié NHBabs z4b-5a NH
Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».