Houzz Logo Print
mskennedy03

Help w/ Phillip Jeffries Grasscloth Wallpaper - thank you

mskennedy03
il y a 5 ans
Hello,

I am looking for help on making a decision for some grass cloth wallpaper for my master bedroom. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Will be wallpapering the master bedroom and am leaning towards PJ’s grasscloth and am looking at the Soho Hemp and Bermuda line. I am looking for the most contemporary style/color combination. Any experience with this wallpaper and/or thoughts on colors below? The floors are white oak.

Thank you much!

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/p-phillip-jeffries-soho-hemp-concrete-jungle-wallpaper-266330.aspx

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/p-phillip-jeffries-soho-hemp-plaza-platinum-wallpaper-266328.aspx

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/p-phillip-jeffries-bermuda-hemp-elephant-wallpaper-75435.aspx

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/p-phillip-jeffries-bermuda-hemp-graphite-wallpaper-75436.aspx

https://www.decoratorsbest.com/p-phillip-jeffries-companion-manila-hemp-pewter-wallpaper-203462.aspx

Commentaires (19)

• lynartist
    il y a 5 ans
    Very pricey;)! You can get grasscloth in many different pricepoints of course; the choice is yours! I do love the look and prefer the more textured ones. I’m sure if you search a bit you can find comparable looks for much less though!
  • palimpsest
    il y a 5 ans

This is very high quality wallcovering and a bit more refined than the less expensive papers. I am using Manila Hemp in a bedroom, the grass is dyed to match the backing paper, and in general the grass color and size is very consistent on the PJ papers.

One thing to take into account is that the width is 36 vs. the typical 27 for many papers (I don't know what the York grasscloth is), so you need 3 widths of paper to cover what a typical roll needs 4 widths to cover.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I like plaza platinum. Would be better help if you post a pic of floor color. White oak has different tones too.

• mskennedy03
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Please see attached the room, pardon the mess. As it stands we have a grey linen bed, but are looking to get rid of and do new furniture in there.

Also, you guys are right regarding the price of the wallpaper, any other suggestions for a wallpaper that may be better priced?

THANK YOU!!
  • palimpsest
    il y a 5 ans

Thibaut Grasscloth is good quality and less expensive than Phillip Jeffries. Some of these are vinyl faux grasscloth, you have to sort through.

https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/search/query/sisal/page/1/per_page/200

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    il y a 5 ans

I've lived through grasscloth paper's two popular days; the 1950's/60's and again today. I have never been a fan. it's expensive if it's good, and it is the devil to hang properly - pros will charge you extra and the shading will always show.

Choose a nice color paint and be done with it. If you hate it, it's easy to change. Walls are a background for furniture and art; they are not the story themselves.

• lynartist
    il y a 5 ans
    Thibault has many lovely ones, 36” width. If you have a quality wallpaper store in your area check out others as well.
  • palimpsest
    il y a 5 ans

You can get yard long samples of Thibaut from Mahones for $7 each. Definitely worth it because the colors will vary from online.

The house I grew up in had grasscloth in the master for 40 years, I don't know if the current owners removed it. I worked perfectly fine as a background for relatively delicate artwork, (watery serigraphes and 18th c. Japanese block prints) because it was just a color, like paint, (and an orderly texture).

• pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

I love grasscloth. I would say that if you aren't going with a metallic color then the grasscloth in the lower price point will get the job done nicely. A huge consideration with grasscloth is the sunlight the room gets. Know that it fades and anything youve placed on the wall will leave a darker spot where it was once removed.

What are you doing with the brick in the room? Painting it white? White washing it? I don't care for any of it with your brick. Of the ones youve posted the elephant is nice. I highly recommend a trip to a wallpaper store if you have one in your area. Gray is a popular color and you may be able to buy off the shelf and save. Last if you don't have wallpaper experience make sure whomever you hire to hang it has experience with grasscloth. Its not hard to hang just hard to cut.

• mskennedy03
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Pink, thanks for the comment. The room gets plenty of light and DW never closes the blinds.
    Based on comments, I think we may pass on grasscloth and try and paint. If it doesn’t work, back to the drawing board.

The brick is not going to be painted, it is part of a fireplace that runs the length of the house.

Thank you
  • pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

If you're not painting the FP I do think that the gray grasscloth will "fight" with it. Again I love grasscloth and I would do it again , in fact I'm probably doing a hot pink metallic grasscloth in the back of built in shelving in my office) so don't be afraid of it if you really love it. Another option If you love the natural look of grasscloth but are worried about wear and tear you might want to bring that natural element into the space by doing a woven shades on the windows framed with drapery panels. Its a nice look and brings an organic element to the space.

• lynartist
    il y a 5 ans
    I love the texture and think it adds a certain look to a room. I have used it in contemporary rooms and more traditional ones and in rooms with a tropical feel. It has the ability to transcend many styles and for me , never goes out of style! I prefer to shop for wallpaper up close and personal though! Do try to go to a good Wallcoverings store and see the many options there. There are so many and they come in an infinite number of textures and colors as well as prices! A good store will may be able to suggest a good paper hanger also. Don’t try this yourself, it’s not a diy project!
  • pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

Portsmouth Beach House · Plus d'infos

Hampton Hall - Farnsleigh · Plus d'infos

Traditional Bedroom · Plus d'infos

Transitional Master Bedroom · Plus d'infos

• Joe T.
    il y a 5 ans

Casement windows... Brick... Large roof overhangs... Wood paneling... MCM? Love MCM, and grasscloth!

I did grasscloth in two rooms in our MCM (entire den, accent wall in master bed). I did a natural grasscloth from Wayfair. I paid somewhere around $45 per 24' x 3' roll, which is very cheap for grasscloth. It doesn't look like Wayfair has my grasscloth listed anymore (SKU was NOWI1195).

I didn't put it in any of our rooms with a lot of brick, but then again, I don't have any rooms where plaster meets brick—only wood meets brick.

I highly suggest getting samples and hold 'em next to the brick in the room, as your perception of the color can change quite dramatically. For example, this photo below shows my grasscloth, which looks a bit pale greenish with some light brown. Once we got some very blue paintings up in the room, it makes it appear a warm orangish.

• palimpsest
    il y a 5 ans

A number of the Thibaut papers have the grass dyed to match the background paper (and the vinyls tend to mimic this as well except some really expensive PJ papers). I think that would be the way to go if you are concerned about the brick. The less expensive papers will have more prominent and irregular grass colors (which is fine) but the grasses also tend to oxidize over time and get darker.

It would be appropriate in a mid century house to combine the a textured or patterned paper with that brick.

• Bunny
    il y a 5 ans

It sounds like the OP now plans to paint the walls. Someone earlier mentioned animals. I lived in a rental with grasscloth wallpaper in the hallway. One of my cats used it to scale the walls. Grass fibers worked loose and broke free. I had to periodically give the walls a haircut.

• palimpsest
    il y a 5 ans

I put up large samples for several months to test the cat's interest and she has ignored it. But I would recommend doing something like this

• PRO
    Phillip Jeffries
    il y a 5 ans

Hi mskennedy03 we'd be happy to answer any of your questions or send samples your way. Feel free to contact us at Info@Phillipjeffries.com

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».