Houzz Logo Print
rifter13

Stairway decorating

We have recently completed a second story addition. I need ideas on how to decorate the walls of our stairway. I am not keen on putting up family photos. I think I would like one big piece. Any ideas what? And how big should it be?

Commentaires (10)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    il y a 5 ans

I don't think you need anything. Negative space can be good. Your problem is that your light fitting is low and large and it will obstruct any view of large artwork. You also need to make sure that anything that hangs is above head height so it is not accidently knocked when somebody walks down the stairs.

Consider switching your pendant to something like an Ikea PS Maskros pendant which makes flower patterns on your stair well walls, and looks fantastic as a feature in a stairwell like yours.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40147463/

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

BUILD Architecture Award 2018 · Plus d'infos

Christine Robertson a remercié Dr Retro House Calls
  • julie herbert
    il y a 5 ans
    A gorgeous piece of art or a fabulous pendant light as suggested could look beautiful , your stairway looks quite contemporary so an abstract painting would look fabulous
    Christine Robertson a remercié julie herbert
  • dreamer
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi, your stairwell is like ours, no window. I have a big painting 1200 x 1200, and a round light fitting. The light fitting is just at eye level when standing at top of stairs. I chose to go with simple, but with impact. I also didn't like the idea of lots of photos. Photo is a bit dark, because the sun hasn't,t really come up yet in Perth.
    Christine Robertson a remercié dreamer
  • dreamer
    il y a 5 ans
    My light fitting is like woven spider web acrylic. Can't really see it properly with the light on, in a photo. Gives all these wonderful shadows when on at night. We chose the acrylic instead of glass, because of the weight.
  • Irene Morresey
    il y a 5 ans
    Love the hanging men, Etsy. Art from great big canvas
    Christine Robertson a remercié Irene Morresey
  • PRO
    Decoro Custom Interiors
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi Christine, from the photos the space feel too enclosing to let a large artwork shine. Do you have a wall that faces you at the top of the stairs? If you do, that space may lend itself better to artwork to mark your arrival upstair. All the best, Louise - Decoro Custom Interiors
    Christine Robertson a remercié Decoro Custom Interiors
  • annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

Dreamer, your light and artwork look beautiful. Love the shadow pattern!

• dreamer
    il y a 5 ans
    Thank you anna1997. I have just taken a better photo, which shows the intricacies of the pendant light. It really looks wonderful on the walls when on at night time.
  • Christine Robertson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

That is really lovely.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».