Houzz Logo Print
franktheson2010

How to Start Building project

franktheson2010
il y a 5 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 5 ans

Planning to start building and still figuring out where to get a real nice plan. Can anyone assist?

Commentaires (10)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    il y a 5 ans

This post from yesterday has some good starting ideas, no matter what size/scope project,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5432012/tips-for-economy-build#22744602

franktheson2010 a remercié beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • franktheson2010
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

this is a good start, thank you

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 5 ans

Of course I am partial, but I agree with Cook's advice. At least talk to several architects to see what they can do for (with) you. It seems like a lot of people think architects bite, and I've heard some horror stories, but good experiences with architect far outnumber the bad experiences (no I do not have data to back that up). Avoid the ordinary and do something special for you and your family.

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    il y a 5 ans

Wishing you every success in this venture... But before you start please ensure the designer or Architect is fully versed with Local Zoning By-Laws and restrictions that apply to your site. Remember that home you build should accommodate your lifestyle and ease of functional use, as well as your personality.

Also consider environmental impact as well as energy efficiency in using geo-thermal or Photovoltaic supplemental power supplies. A good architect or designer will be able to help you navigate these concerns and point you in the right direction ... Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

• robin0919
    il y a 5 ans

I would suggest looking at the thousands of plans online and picking out what is the closest to what you need. Then taking those plans to either an architect or design planner (no offense architects.......you do excellent work.....but very expensive)(Allot of people can't afford you..) on getting what you want.

• dan1888
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Consider orienting the main living areas and windows to the south with west as the last choice because of afternoon heat and glare.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 5 ans

You are crippling yourself and your architect by starting with a floor plan and trying to change it to meet your needs. Take a list of your needs and wants and your site survey to a reputable architect and ask them to help you design a home that fits your site and meets your needs. That way they don't have to spend the time (your money) reviewing it and explaining to you why it doesn't work on your site.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    il y a 5 ans

"...It seems like a lot of people think architects bite, and I've heard some horror stories..."

Well, I have not ever personally met an architect who bites, but if the name is Dracula, you might want to skip the interview...

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    il y a 5 ans

"a real nice plan" is generally a highly personal plan that responds to the particular site and to the homeowner's (s') needs and wants. Online cookie cutter plans which are very, very general simply can't manage this.

Additionally, the current fashion in online plans is for "fat houses", which means houses that are many rooms wide and deep, which means both a very complicated, expensive roof and also rooms that are quite dark. If you go through the archives in the Building a Home forum, or search the forum for phrases like "critique my plan", you will get an idea from the members here, who are professionals and amateurs with experience, of why online plans are rarely real nice plans.

Architects can be expensive up front. But they will often save the future homeowner from an expensive build (a fat house which is both expensive to build and maintain, ie reshingling, and/or with lots of complicated jigs and jogs in the plan, and so on), and assist with proper siting of the house and window placement; for example, as dan mentions above, the front of the house is often best sited facing north, with the living areas (kitchen, living room, dining room) facing south. That way you can make the most of passive solar, which makes for a more comfortable house and also uses nature to help minimize heating and cooling bills.

There are also architects in the BaH forum who work remotely, and charge quite reasonably from what I understand if you live somewhere where architects are difficult to find.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».