Houzz Logo Print
amber_combs34

Balcony above the garage facing the front/street

Amber Combs
il y a 5 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 5 ans

I am trying to build a new home but I am running into a conflict with ideas. I really think turning the roof of the garage into a flat area and utilizing it as a balcony seems like a cool concept... However, for resale value in the distant future, would most people be weirded out by the design and feel like there's a lack of privacy for a hang out spot because it is facing the street and neighbors? I am kind of torn....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Commentaires (15)

• fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    il y a 5 ans

it all depends, is there a view you want to capture? Is the street busy? Are the neighbors close? Does it improve the look of the front of the house? The larger issue is that a flat roofs in the past had a limited life span. My flat garage roof is 45 years old and now needs replacing. People could be weirded out by that.

Amber Combs a remercié fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
  • Amber Combs
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I did read about the lifespan of the flat roof being a turn off... There really isn't a view but the neighbors are not on top of one another either. It is a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors and kids riding their bikes. I thought it would be cool to be able to sit outside and just watch life.

• sheloveslayouts
    il y a 5 ans

I doubt the addition of a deck will enhance the curb appeal of your house. It’s a creative thought, but I’d pass.

Amber Combs a remercié sheloveslayouts
  • Amber Combs
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I appreciate the input. Thank you. :-)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 5 ans

There is the option of sitting with one's back to the street.

• Amber Combs
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I don't think I understand what you mean.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    il y a 5 ans

I would be bothered more by the flat roof (with respect to weather and wear) than by hanging out there. I think it depends on your neighbourhood and what it's already like......is it a place where everyone has backyards and stays out of sight of the street (and others), or is it a place where people use their front porches and driveways to hang out and socialize.

Amber Combs a remercié Toronto Veterinarian
  • PRO
    dEmios Architects
    il y a 5 ans

Could you post an image of the house so that we can have a better idea about the aesthetics involved? Depending on the roofline of the garage, maybe you could build an inverted deck that only takes up part of the area above the garage.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

An image of the house would help. What you describe is a roof deck quite a lot different than balcony so maybe we should get that figured out first.

• PRO
    Canadian Doormaster
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Amber. Flat roofs really take a pounding from harsh weather, which is why they don't last as long as a sloped roof. However with that said, nowadays modern materials for covering flat roofs have improved considerably and some even offer a 20 year warranty. If you can keep it clean and maintain it, then a good flat roof wont leak.

Amber Combs a remercié Canadian Doormaster
  • ci_lantro
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

feel like there's a lack of privacy for a hang out spot because it is facing the street and neighbors? I am kind of torn....

What you are describing sounds more like a roof top deck, not a balcony.

Why do you want to do this? Don't you have a back yard?

Speaking for myself, I would not use it.

First of all, it would involve stairs.

Depending on where you live, the roof will probably be a lot a lot hotter than say, the grass, in the backyard. Or a shaded patio.

Then there is the lack of privacy, as you mentioned. Not a cozy 'hang out spot'.

And, lastly, the neighbors will probably feel like you have a Spy Tower snooping into their backyards and are some kind of perv-y weirdo.

To say nothing of the added cost of railings, etc. to meet code and complications of decking over a flat roof and whatever all else that involves which I do not know but suppose to be something of a challenge and probably expensive.

Amber Combs a remercié ci_lantro
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

The only place where a roof deck makes sense is where it gives you a desirable view when the back yard faces the wrong direction from that view. Like the house across the street from the house directly on the beach. Then it makes sense. But it’s still trying to overcompensate for poor lot selection, which really cannot be overcome. Only understood.

Amber Combs a remercié User
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    il y a 5 ans

You could make it pretty. Check out this rooftop garden above a bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Y0CwuX2vw

• opaone
    il y a 5 ans

This is not really that unusual. I've seen some that are attractive and others that are not. I've seen some that are used and enjoyed frequently and others not.

You need to give a lot more detail to get any worthwhile feedback. Sat image of your house and neighborhood, photos of your house, street and neighborhood.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».