Houzz Logo Print
fabien_cardineau51

Extension layout dilemma - Where to position the Guest bathroom?

Fabien Cardineau
il y a 5 ans

Planning a 6M extension (Kitchen + Dining). We are struggling to come up with the idea layout with the space that we will have. We need a Shower-room for occasional guests who will be staying in the front room (closed by pocket doors). We cannot have a shower in the current downstair toilet.

We hesitate between 2 options (pluming is available on both side):

Option A - Shower room on the left (No window) as you enter the property with sitting area on the right .
Option B - Shower room on the right (with window) and sitting area on the left.

Option A (Left side bathroom)

Option B (Right side bathroom)

Also with this option B, would you drop the wall partition for people to walk between the kitchen and the sitting area or just leave an opening like a window to enable the light to come through but leaving the wall to install kitchen counter top and put low furniture (Chest)?

Thanks a lot for your tips.

Option A (Left Bathroom without Window)
Option B (Right Bathroom with Window)

Commentaires (6)

• PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    thanks you so much, you're the only person who managed to explained to me very logically why one is other than the other!
  • PRO
    Allium Interior Solutions
    il y a 5 ans

My pleasure - hope it's helped!

• Emily
    il y a 5 ans
    I can’t decide which is best but just want to say I think how you are planning on using the front room is a fab use of space and light. Love seeing people break the norms we’ve inherited.
  • Jonathan
    il y a 5 ans
    Definitely put the shower room on the left. Because:-
    The shower room is a smaller intrusion into the traffic flow through to the kitchen than the living area is.
    The middle of the house only benefits from a modest window which should not be given to a shower room that only gets occasional use when a main reception would have to do without.
    The reception has more privacy from the front door when situated on the right.
    The shower room on the left can easier be used by upstairs bedrooms if it is closer to the base of the stairs and users wont have to go past two reception spaces to use the extra wc.
    Assuming you choose one type of flooring for the reception room and another for the hall and shower room- the shower room on the left offers more continuity of flooring.
    The left hand side is almost certainly under the main bathroom and soil pipe which offers some cost efficiencies.
  • PRO
    Fabien Cardineau
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    thanks a lot for your post, that's why it is so hard to decide. your arguments are very sound such as the previous post. By the way, you're absolutely right about the bathroom upstairs.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».