Houzz Logo Print
snmoon

Drawer Pull Size Guide

Sandy Moonet
il y a 5 ans

Is there a guide available which shows what size drawer pulls are recommended for various size drawers? Such as 36" drawers or pantry drawers?

Commentaires (28)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 5 ans

nope

• lucky998877
    il y a 5 ans

Wait until your cabinets etc are installed, then apply blue tape to figure out what size you like the best.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

I use the blue painters tape idea for figuring out pull sizes , IMO they should be proprtional to the cabinet or drawer but some times they need to mounted vertically and some horizontally. I love the stainless bar pulls from Lee Valley becuase they have a huge choice of sizes

• AJCN
    il y a 5 ans

I try to make them be about a third of the space, or loosely apply the "golden ratio" in terms of how much of the drawer is taken up by the pull. But I still eyeball it by using the blue tape as people have mentioned. Or go buy some pulls from a big box store that you can return later and have someone hold them up to the drawers as you look at them from further away. One thing to note is to try to not have wildly different sized pulls on the same run. It's okay if they aren't exactly the same, but a whole lot of variation in size in one run of drawers looks off to me.

• Mid America Mom
    il y a 5 ans

I have small wrap over in my modern kitchen with gloss slab doors.

• talley_sue_nyc
    il y a 5 ans

One warning about bar pulls--if their ends stick out like a T, sometimes people find they catch their clothing on them.

I got that style of drawer pull, but I don't really have a problem, because I got pulls that go almost all the way to the end of the drawer, so there's not a lot of space between them for a person to lean against the counter, so clothing doesn't often end up in there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Top knobs. Best ever . Great quality, finishes in abundance as well as sizing. Closed Ends on pulls. The bar has been done , done , and done some more

• Mrs Pete
    il y a 5 ans

Top knobs. Best ever . Great quality, finishes in abundance as well as sizing. Closed Ends on pulls. The bar has been done , done , and done some more

Disclaimer: I'm planning a house in which I intend to live for the rest of my life. I intend to be old in this house. That isn't everyone's goal.

I like the look of knobs, but I went to Lowes and opened all their sample kitchen cabinets ... while pretending that I couldn't use my hands nimbly like I do now. I took note of what movements I needed to make to turn my hand over /curl my fingers /reach into a cup pull. I considered the necessity of spreading fingers to surround knobs, then pulling.

And I decided that pull bars -- yes, while done, done and done -- are a standard for a reason. Larger bars really are easier to use, so that's what I'm going to have.

Bonus: A kitchen towel can hang on a large bar.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

I have never had clothing snag on a pull and I have had them in my last two kitchens I like the longer pulls on the drawers for sure I also like the mix of vertical and horizontal.

• stillpitpat
    il y a 5 ans

^^ I like long pulls too. We went for roughly half length on our lowers. I'll take a picture in a bit.

• stillpitpat
    il y a 5 ans

Here are my pics. Kitchen is not done yet, btw, hence the mess.

• wilson853
    il y a 5 ans

If you have any family members with larger hands as I do, you may also want to look for a pull that has a higher rise. It helps to keep hands from rubbing against the cabinet and prevents wear to the finish around the pull.

http://theknobbery.com/cabinet-hardware-sizing-guide/

• R F
    il y a 5 ans
    @stillpitpat: May I ask what brand your pulls are? I love them! Beautiful cabinets, too.
  • stillpitpat
    il y a 5 ans

They are Schwinn 4135, which I got from Home Depot. Great prices and they are good quality. I bought a few different brands, and these felt the most substantial. Heavy, but not overly so. I like that they are the same design as my fridge handles, which I love.

4135 series at HD

• PRO
    Twin City Hardware
    il y a 5 ans

It all comes down to personal preference and tastes. Most of the clients I deal with like the 1/3 or 1/4 rule. If you have a 36" drawer, a 12" pull will leave 12" on either side of the pull so it will look proportional.

Different manufacturers have different sizing for their pulls. So it won't always work out perfectly on most projects, so that's where the personal tolerances come into play.

Good luck with your project.

• Anne Duke
    il y a 5 ans
    I ruined more clothes on bar pulls and vowed never to have them again. It has to do with height, so isn’t a problem for many. Also, the selection of cabinet hardware for both kitchen and bathroom took a disproportionate amount of time compared to every other single element.
  • wrcd
    il y a 4 ans

Great advice on this post. I am also trying to figure out pull sizes. I would like to do knobs on doors and pulls on drawers. Based on recommendations above, I am thinking:

18" drawers, 21" trash pullout - 5.5"-6" pulls

24", 33", 36" drawers - 9" pulls (keep these consistent)

My cabinets will have knobs, but I would like to put pulls on my two pantries. Is this ok and if yes, what size pulls for pantries? The pantries will be located on the other side of the refrigerator versus the other cabinets with knobs. Each pantry will be 24" wide and 96" tall with one lower and upper door (door split is about 54" up from floor). I can't provide pics because my kitchen is currently gutted. Thanks.

• User
    il y a 4 ans

Here is a guide that might be useful http://theknobbery.com/cabinet-hardware-sizing-guide

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    il y a 4 ans

I hate knobs, I have to say. I don't think they are as attractive as a nice pull, my arthritic hands make them hard to grasp, it is hard to find one well sized for large hands, and one other advantage to a pull -- if you are cooking, need something from a cabinet/drawer and your hands are messy, you can open it with a spoon handle.

• Jeri Dupuy
    il y a 2 ans

I am doing modern cabinets and drawers so thinking 16" for my 43, 37, 29 inch cabinets and drawers and 12" for 25, 22 for a modern look. They will be consistent

• User
    il y a 2 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 2 ans

I made knobs from the round tile on the shower back splash. Larger ones for the drawers smaller for the doors.

• kculbers
    il y a 2 ans

I have a galley style kitchen. On one side I chose 3 stacks of drawers. The outer stacks are 30 inches wide and the inner stack is 33 inches wide. I have simple Shaker cabinets and wanted simple hardware. I ended up liking two pulls on each drawer instead of one long pull. I had my kitchen renovation done about 2 years ago and am still happy with my choice of hardware. There are really no rules about kitchen hardware. It is quite a personal choice❣️Best of luck in your journey.

• wrcd
    il y a 2 ans

We went with a combination of knobs and pulls. Did different length pulls. Really like how it turned out. Knobs are mounted such that they can be changed to pulls later if anyone wanted to do it.

• Bev Wilton
    il y a 2 ans

i have 18, 21, 24 and 36 cabinets and drawers. Is it wrong to use 8 inch pulls for all?

• kculbers
    il y a 2 ans

Bev: if you like that look of 8” pulls, then that is ok. There are really no rules about kitchen hardware. You may want to tape some 8” pieces of paper ( to represent the pulls) on your cabinets, to see how you like the 8” pull look. Best of luck in your decision.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    il y a 2 ans

Bev Wilton, it is not "wrong" if you like the look and function of that size on all the drawers.

Get some painter's tape, and mock up the size and placement of the pulls with that - so you can get some idea of how they will look. Especially on the 18 & 21" size drawers - you might find that 8" seems out of proportion on the smaller drawers.

I've mentioned above that I went with 5" on all drawers, even the 34" ones, because my kitchen is small and larger pulls (although would have been good proportionally) just seemed to make the space feel too crowded.

• Carolae
    il y a 2 ans

@Bev Wilton I did 8” pulls on all my cabinets and drawers. My drawers vary in width from 18” to 36”. I love the uniform look.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».