Houzz Logo Print
jessica_lynn9539438

Am I crazy or are these the same table? Can someone help me choose?

Jessica Lynn
il y a 5 ans

I’m looking to purchase a new table for our open kitchen area (which divides the kitchen and living room), and really love the trestle farmhouse style, but our house is a bit more traditional - so I thought this style would be a nice compromise. It appears these are basically the same table, so I’m not sure which to choose. The obvious answer is the cheaper one if they’re the same, but it looks as if the more expensive one *may* be a bit better quality based on materials, plus there are more/better reviews. The more expensive one also says “extendable” in the name but it looks as if the cheaper one also is extendable, based on the description. I would like to purchase one that is durable enough to stand up to two crazy boys (our current table has lots of scuffs and scratches). Can someone PLEASE take a look at each of these and help me decide which to purchase? Thank you!!

Option #1 (“Rockton”):

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/rockton-dining-table-lfmf2200.html

Option #2 (“Offerman”):

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/offerman-extendable-dining-table-lfmf2256.html

Option 1 (“Rockton”)
Option 2 (“Offerman”)

Commentaires (17)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    il y a 5 ans

At first glance they look the same.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    il y a 5 ans

I haven't seen a "durable" table since they quit making them with formica tops :))

• Meg
    il y a 5 ans
    It looks like the 2nd one *might* have more detail on the top of the table? But it might very well be the same. My only comment about this very dark stain (from experience) is that it can be hard to keep looking clean and nice. But if you love it, go for it!

And I just had to reply that the comment about Formica is spot on. While visiting my mom this Thanksgiving, I was just remarking how amazing it was that her kitchen table has not a single scratch despite it being 40 years old!!!
  • Natalie
    il y a 5 ans

One says it is 30 inches high, normal dining table height. The other is 36 inches high.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

IMO wood tables are quite durable they get scratches that’s life when it becomes unbearable sand it stain and recoat. As for that dark finish IMO it is already dated and almost always comes in cheap stuff from China where the wood probably is not even all the same .

• Rachel Lee
    il y a 5 ans
    One is “manufactured” wood and the more expensive one is solid wood. The price difference isn’t a lot, so go solid wood.
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    il y a 5 ans

If you have to pick one of the two, I agree with Rachel. Though Patricia is correct about not being able to have anyone, except maybe kids, sit at either end because of the design. I'd keep looking, perhaps at a local Amish manufacturer.

The 36" height for the second, solid wood table is a typo if you look at the picture with the dimensions. They're each 30" high.

• justcallmepool
    il y a 5 ans

Have you ever ordered from Wayfair before? Just be careful about return shipping.

I ordered some barstools from there and it cost me almost $200 to return them and have nothing. I would not order anything large from them again. maybe not anything at all.

• Helen
    il y a 5 ans

Move on - as others have posted this appears to be effectively a table for four. There is a picture of the table with some white upholstered chairs at either end which shows how squished seating would be.

FWIW, I just finished selected a new dining room table and considered a lot of options with both aesthetics and functionality in mind. I went with a center pedestal table.

My first dining room table years ago was the ubiquitous oak round table with the lions paw feet. It was 48" round with an 18" leaf which pulled out to make a racetrack type of shape. It was actually very functional in terms of size and seating comfort.

I then got what was a much longer racetrack table with no leaves. Again, it worked well in terms of seating comfort as people could squeeze in if need be because there were no legs limiting where chairs could go.

I just remodeled and am having a racetrack table made by a local woodworker which is inspired by this Art Deco table.

At your price point, you might look for used furniture. I had to literally give away my table recently as there was no interest in it. The consignment shops; used furniture; craigslist are filled with so much furniture because it is practically indestructible. The table I got rid of had been finished with what some kind of finish that was similar to what is used for wood floors. I had it for years with no issues except the obvious like using trivets for hot items and not keeping wet items on for prolonged periods of time.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

At your price point, you might look for used furniture. I had to literally give away my table recently as there was no interest in it. The consignment shops; used furniture; craigslist are filled with so much furniture because it is practically indestructible.

You could find a vintage or even antique solid wood table for not a lot of money. Try Chairish too, if it's available in your area.

I see in your avatar photo that you have a young child -- you want something well-made that will stand up to kids and daily use.

• suzyq53
    il y a 5 ans

A trestle doesn't have to be farmhouse. A much more practical choice for most people.

• PRO
    Saratoga Signature Interiors
    il y a 5 ans

While it seems that these two tables are quite identical in design, the Offerman (OPTION #2)

looks to have a wire brush finish and a slatted style top. Option # 1 looks to have a smooth finish. Both are made of poplar solids & oak veneer, but I always suggest a less glossy top if you are looking for durability, because they resist scratches. Option #2 seems to offer a top that, to me, looks more durable for a home with "two crazy boys" and lots of family dinners, because of its wire brush finish.

In my experience, it is often times very difficult to know exactly what you are getting in terms of quality and style when you order from online sources. I would suggest you find these tables from a local furniture dealer in your area. you'll be able to really see their quality and finish. You'll also most likely get great customer service, free delivery and home installation, and they will assemble it for you too! (Believe me when I tell you these things don't always go together as planned!) It's also very likely that your local furniture dealer will try their very best to match online pricing as well. Good luck with your purchase, and happy holidays!

• Shannon_WI
    il y a 5 ans

i agree with Helen and Beckysharp to look at consignment shops, Craig's List, antiques stores. While it will require more time on your part than shopping on the internet, you will end up with something better in the long run. You will have to see a lot of frogs before finding the prince though. I myself put a beautiful walnut dining table (with leaf and matching chairs) in a consignment shop the last time I moved because it wouldn't fit in my new place. I too had bought it in an antique shop. It was from the 1940s and built like a tank, and while I used it a lot, seemed to be impervious to everything, because old-growth wood was like that.

One thing I like about the older tables is that they are deeper/wider than many tables made today. I.e. you can fit the Thanksgiving turkey, and the sides on the table, and everyone's place settings and glasses, and not feel it's all crowded.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    il y a 5 ans

When looking at the first one linked, it appears that the chair top to apron on the table area is very small. Would adult legs fit? The proportions just look off.

• Jessica Lynn
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

update: I ended up purchasing the table and some chairs I thought matched well... and I am in love with it! It complements the rest of our furniture perfectly, and the space at the ends of the table isn’t an issue with the chairs. I really appreciate everyones input but sometimes you just have to follow your gut. thank you!!! ❤️

heres some photos from right after we set it up. we currently have it set up with chairs on either end as well and they fit great!

• Jessica Lynn
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

now...any ideas for:

-an area rug for underneath it (preferably one very THIN so it’s easy to slide chairs on it - and one with a non slip backing would be great too) - and we have lots of shades of blues in our home (mostly varying shades of robins egg blue) so maybe hints of that color?

-a light fixture above it

-a window treatment for the bay window behind it

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».