Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

how to clean up internal exposed brickwork

Tani H-S
il y a 5 ans

We might be keeping one our exposed brick walls (30's house) and we have already removed the old plaster from it. It's left a coating of white plaster residue and I wondered if there was a gentle DIY sandblasting option to clean it all up?

Would prefer NOT to have to manually wire brush it down or use brick acid if there is a faster/easier option...

The room is a building site at the moment so ideal for sandblasting...

Commentaires (17)

• PRO
    Defined Builds Limited
    il y a 5 ans

Sandblasting can damage the surface of the bricks if they are soft, you can buy mini sandblasting kits fairly cheaply I think from places like screwfix and axminster tools online.

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Yes i was concerned about that. Not sure if these 30’a common housebrick are soft or not. Can you get sandblasters that use a more gentle abrasive?
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans

Sand blasting is a much more labour intensive and messier option that just good old fashioned brick cleaner. Just stick some heavy duty gloves on and put it on with a soft brush to start with, let it soak on and just use a wire brush for stubborn areas. Wash off and let it dry, you may need to do it a couple of times.

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I thought it would be less work, haha. Damn. ;o)

• Pavan123
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi Tani, did you end up going for the exposed brick in the end? How did you get on cleaning it? I’m toying with the idea of leaving our chimney breast as exposed brick, but wondering whether it’s worth the hassle! Xx
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi, not done it yet but we are still planning on leaving one wall exposed so need to work out how to clean it, ha ha
  • Pavan123
    il y a 5 ans
    Haha, well if I do it I'll let you know how I get on
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

@Pavan123... just to update you. I've spent the best part of a week (not full days of course - just few hours here and there when I can!) cleaning the wall up. It was COVERED in old render and dust - thick chunks of it in most places. The mortar pointing was like sand as well.

So I got a water spray and a putty knife (or a flat edge wallpaper scraper would do) with a dust mask and goggles on and just scraped off what I could whilst spraying water over it to keep the dust to a minimum. Then i manually scraped out the top of the pointing then scrubbed it all with a stiff brush and warm soapy water (I should have used sugar soap) then rinsed it off. Now it's ready to re-point and I will give it a final clean/wipe down after the pointing sets as there are only some parts with the white dust on.

I could get brick acid on it but I kind of like the old look so don't want them to be TOO clean and new looking! LOL.

My wall is a bit of a mess though to be fair. Will post a pic up later. Whoever built it must have used any old broken bricks lying around as there are chunks missing out of some, some rows are all split bricks etc. Might remove a few and put full ones back we saved.

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Before pic
  • E D
    il y a 5 ans

Job well done!

Sounds like you’ve done the right thing, cleaning the bricks.

I‘ve tried to clean an area of a (London stock) brick wall once, using brick cleaner but it discoloured the bricks, making them darker.

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    @ED oh nightmare! Was that the brick acid as well?
    I’m worried putting a varnish or linseed oil will make these darker so I will have to investigate sealers before I go there.
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Look a lot lighter on the photos than they are
  • Huw Buckley
    il y a 5 ans
    How about a simple watered down pva as a sealer?
  • Anthony (Beano)
    il y a 5 ans
    Looks great! Nice and natural.
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Pva could work.

I have to repoint it all as it has loads of large gaps in it from where the pointing just crumbled away.
    There are rows of small bricks and broken ones and I’m wondering if I should just replace a few before I point for full bricks? It’s a bit of a mess otherwise! As it was an internal skin, they must have used any old broken bricks lying around to build it :0/
  • Pavan123
    il y a 5 ans
    You’ve done an amazing job Tani. You must be so pleased. Tbh, the dust in our half demolished kitchen already makes me gag so no sure how I’ll fare cleaning all the brickwork.. the builders are knocking through next week so will take down the plaster then and see what state the bricks are in. The chimney breast is only 1400mm wide so. It’s not a huge space, I’ll keep you posted on how I fare. Thanks for the tips though and good luck with sealing it! Xx
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».