Houzz Logo Print
trine_harrop

how to choose a designer/decorator

Trine
il y a 5 ans
We want to style our house. And renovate laundry and bathroom. Can a interior designer help or do I need more? How do I choose a designer, we don’t have a style just isn’t our thing. But would like someone to create it for us.

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    Mia - Hafele Australia
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Trine,

Most interior designers are more than happy to assist you with styling and renovations. You may need a designer with a trades team depending on the requirements of your renovation. Remember to visit as many showrooms as you like as this will give you a feel for style, and functionality.

I work closely with many designers and other industry professionals and it can be hard to find a person you connect with. Houzz is a great place to start, and please use our studio locator for further assistance https://www.ideasforliving.com.au/studio-locator/

Good Luck

Mia

• Lena Bruno
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Trine, you could go to an interior designer in the first instance to come up with a brief and concept board for you, plus space planning, design and specification. Space planning is ensuring that e.g. if two people usually cook at the same time in a kitchen, then you need a minimum of 1100mm from the backbench to island bench so that there is enough room. Design and specification is then finalising the actual design, materials and finishes and selecting all the fixtures such as basin, tap ware, etc in a document ready for you to give to your builder to construct. The other option is to go directly to a kitchen / bathroom / laundry construction company direct where they have in house interior designers that can work with you. This way is a little cheaper than starting with an interior designer first however there is far less time and expertise that goes into your renovation. I would consider things such as how long are you going to live in the property and if it is a forever house or at least 15+ years then I would approach an interior designer first.

Hope this helps

Lena Bruno - By Bruno Interior Design Studio

• Emma X
    il y a 4 ans
    Are you looking for recommendations? If so, what area are you in? Many designers will charge for an initial consult. I think it is worth meeting with a few different designers to find the right fit even if it means you have to pay for a few consults.

A good interior designer will draw up buildable plans for your renovation with a focus on the interior architecture of your home.... Maximising the floor space, improving layout, enhancing natural light etc as well as advising on the finishes which create the style and feel of your home. These designers often have their go-to tradies and suppliers and are able to manage the project for you.

In my experience, it is more important to focus on finding a designer you “connect” with rather than choosing one based on a particular style. If the connection is there, you will have a more successful experience achieving the style and outcome you are after.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».