Houzz Logo Print
fclarkson

Sash windows. Repair or replace?

fclarkson
il y a 5 ans
Hi. I've got 6 wooden, single-glazed original 1901 sash windows in the front of my house which need updating. One of the sills is completely rotten but the rest are more or less ok. The problem is that they are draughty and cold, so something has to be done. The options I see are,
1. Replace with similar in UPVC ( Roseview perhaps).
2. Repair damage and install thin double-glazing and draught-proofing.

I'm concerned about the thin double glazing because it seems to have problems. Any thoughts or experiences?

Commentaires (21)

• PRO
    Pro-coat painting
    il y a 5 ans
    It depends where abouts you are based, we specialize in repairing sliding box sash windows we cover everything from replacing the weights right to the finishing touches like painting

Pro-coat painting 01983 653604
  • fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks. We're in Surrey. Do you also put the extra thin dg units into the original frames?
  • PRO
    Pro-coat painting
    il y a 5 ans
    Hello thank you for your response, yes we would make the window look like new again, unfortunately we are based on the Isle of wight, it might be worth seeing if someone is a bit more local to you, if not please feel free to contact us and we can sort something out

Many Thanks
    Jack
  • N J
    il y a 5 ans
    We’ve got original single glazed sash window, I absolutely love the imperfect glass we’ve got. Our windows have had the cords cut and are painted shut but hoping to get refurbished before next winter.
    I’d definitely keep the originals if I was you, but we have double glazed wooden sash and case new windows upstairs which are in keeping and much warmer. I guess it comes down to comfort and cost.
  • Chris Goodchild
    il y a 5 ans

There are secondary glazing kits for traditional box sash windows, I have no experience with them but they may be worth looking into if you like the external look of your existing sashes.

• PRO
    Defined Builds Limited
    il y a 5 ans
    A good joiner and carpenter can make and Install new timber sash windows with thinlite double glazing that would be an exact match to your existing That would be the best longterm option, but also the most expensive, as I general rule of thumb I would charge £2000-£2500 per window made, fitted and decorated.

Any repair work will always be repair work and never look as good as a finished article as complete overhaul and replacement.
    But as with everything, the best options will will always cost more in time and money.
  • fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Thanks, everyone. These are all useful ideas. I've put some photos up so you can see. Apart from the sill at the side which is totally done for, the rest are more or less ok. I would have moved the window boxes off but it was grim and rainy. They are surprisingly sound, just cold and in need of tlc. The whole front of the house needs decorating but I keep putting it off till we've decided what to do about the windows. New wood sashes would be too big an expenditure at the moment especially since these haven't completely given up the ghost.

• AMB
    il y a 5 ans
    Whatever you do, please do not replace with uPVC. It just goes to landfill and pollutes the environment. Repair and double glaze your units. Sash windows, especially originals because they are made from better, seasoned hardwoods, will literally last forever if looked after, whereas these days uPVC lasts 15-20 years only. Honestly people rip out originsl features without realising what they truly have.
  • fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I know you're right that they look so much better, I just wonder if anyone has had originals refurbished and if it worked. I'm really hoping it has - it's a lot of money if it doesn't.
  • PRO
    Defined Builds Limited
    il y a 5 ans
    You can refurbish them and change the glass for slimlite double glazed units most of the time, if the boxes are in a salvageable state.
    However you may struggle with the new weights to the window, the double glazing will add a lot of weight to the sash's, sometimes it can be tricky to fit enough lead weights in the frame to counteract and get them to balance and slide smoothly.
    New timber frames can also be draught proofed very well
  • PRO
    The Sash Window Workshop
    il y a 5 ans

Depending on the condition of the window, you may be able to just change just the glass so it is double glazed. The process to do this is called bi-glass. Bi-glass is cheaper than replacing the windows and can provide all the benefits of double glazing while retaining the charm of your existing windows.

If you would like to find out more about bi-glass, visit the link below:

https://www.sashwindow.com/draught-proofing-refurbishment/bi-glass-glazing

Alternatively you can replace the moving parts of the window (the sashes) while retaining the existing window frame. Below are some pictures of windows we have replaced.

If you would like a free, no obligation quotation please give us a call on 01344 868 668 and we would be happy to help.

Replacement Timber Sash Windows · Plus d'infos

New Sash Window · Plus d'infos

www.sashwindow.com

• fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks, Sash Window Workshop. I've spoken to your office and will wait for your quote. Regards.
  • E D
    il y a 5 ans

This SWW have worked on my property some years ago, replacing old sash window for new hardwood double glazed.

Not super cheap, but excellent service and quality.

• fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks, ED. That's nice to know.
  • PRO
    The Sash Window Workshop
    il y a 5 ans

Thank you for the recommendation E D! Glad to hear that you are so happy with the windows that we replaced for you.

• E D
    il y a 5 ans

A cheaper alternative would be to have your current windows refurbished, if salvageable, and install secondary glazing. This does spoil the look somewhat from the inside though.

• PRO
    Ventrolla
    il y a 5 ans

Good morning, if you're still investigating the right way to move forward with your windows then let our surveyors help. They will give you expert advice and guidance to help you choose the right repair/replacement option.

Call us on 0800 378 278 or email info@ventrolla.co.uk and our South East office will be delighted to help or visit www.ventrolla.co.uk

At Ventrolla, we have over 35 years' experience repairing, replacing and draught-proofing timber sash windows and our customers love us. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ventrolla.co.uk?utm_medium=trustbox&utm_source=Slider

• fclarkson
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks so much to everyone who made suggestions. We've just gone with the Sash Window Workshop. They're keeping the frames and most of the sills, and completely replacing the sashes with thin double glazed units. I feel a lot happier with that solution. The money hurts, but it's not that different from the upvc units I was looking at. I'll post some photos when they're done. Thanks again, Frankie
  • AMB
    il y a 5 ans
    Great news and as excellent choice! You will really appreciate the decision you have made (and the money spent) once they are in and painted.
  • PRO
    Chameleon Decorators & Windows Restoration
    il y a 2 ans

Slimline double glazing has a number of issues as some manufacturers are reducing the depth of sealant applied to allow the spacer bars to sit lower. Our team uses FINEO glass for the double glazing project, where we change single glazing to thin double glazing. FINEO vacuum double glazing has better properties vs regular double glazing and guarantee for 15 years.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».