Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

When to know when to stop with the window treatments....

generals1992
il y a 5 ans
Let me preface this by saying that I love a window treatment - I think, in many situations, it adds elegance to a room and so often provides a finishing touch. That said, I’mf torn about whether or not my bedrooms are the right application.

For perspective, I live in a 1960’s-era ranch home that I have been remodeling/updating for the past year or so. One of the items that I would change if cost/resale wasn’t an issue is the size of my bedroom windows - I would love to see a taller window here, but I don’t think my target buyer is going to be as focused on architectural detail/proportions as I am. And the windows were replaced by the last owner - so they’re staying.

My question here is with window treatments. I’ve always been a fan of plantation shutters and I appreciate the flexibility/privacy they provide. Thus, Roman shades aren’t an option. I’m not a fan of valances either. I was hoping to get some custom curtains made for each of the bedrooms and hung a set of 96” curtains I got from Homegoods to get a sense of whether they would look good before I pulled the trigger. I’m glad I did, because upon seeing them, I hate them. I think with these wide, squats windows a panel curtain looks awkward, but without them, it looks bare.

What say you guys? Have custom curtains made or leave the windows bare?

I couldn’t find a picture of the whole room without the curtains so it’s hard to compare.

Commentaires (15)

• AJ
    il y a 5 ans

Would you consider using sheers rather than solid curtains?

I also find (in the photo with the curtains), there is too much clutter. The light shade, the basket on the wall, etc is just too much with the striped curtain as well, try remove these from the space and see if your perspective of the curtain changes.

• ladypat1
    il y a 5 ans

Bare!

• arcy_gw
    il y a 5 ans

Those curtain panels look just silly. They are hung too high competing with the beautiful crown, if you kept them closed maybe, so it would mask the odd sized window, that is the only time to hang curtains as you have, when you NEED to pretend you have a larger window. Less is more and those shutters are heavy enough don't add to it.

• HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
    il y a 5 ans
    Not sure if I’ve ever seen curtains with plantation shutters. For a good reason apparently. The second picture is beautiful. Don’t mess with a good thing.
  • K R
    il y a 5 ans
    I have plantation shutters all over my house in various rooms. Only one place, the formal dining room, so I have drapes in addition to them. Everywhere else I leave it bare, that’s the look of plantation shutters, clean and simple. Leave them off!
  • IdaClaire
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I have plantation shutters throughout my home, and I would never even consider layering curtains on top. The shutters are meant to be a clean, streamlined look. In the photo above, the panels are the equivalent of a mullet haircut. Just say no.

• Utilisateur Houzz - 161159613
    il y a 5 ans

Shutters only please!

• generals1992
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Here’s where I landed
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    il y a 5 ans

yes looks great just as is...

• chloebud
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Atlanta Homeowner, we also have plantation shutters throughout our entire house. When we first moved in, the windows all had valences with the shutters. The only window with just shutters was in the garage (that window faces the street). First thing I did was remove all the fabric. For me, the shutters are just too nice on their own. Since you're also a fan of shutters, I'm sure you know how much easier they are to keep clean than any type of fabric. They can also add value to your home (unlike other window treatments).

• User
    il y a 5 ans

No curtains

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    il y a 5 ans

We think the windows look great with just the shutters. You don't need any other window treatments.

Family Retreat · Plus d'infos

• K R
    il y a 5 ans
    Looks good bare! You made the right choice.
  • PRO
    Tammy Wilson, A Smith & Noble In-Home Designer
    il y a 5 ans

Less is more. Great choice.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».