Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_33367883

Redorating bedroom for 8 year old.

User
il y a 5 ans

My daughter would like to re do her bedroom to something more grown up. She has her heart set on this flamingo wallpaper but im worried it will not look right with her furniture. Plus her room is quite small and furniture is big so there is no other options for the layout. Any suggestions or comments on her wallpaper choice or other suggestions we could put on the table? Thanks on advance

Commentaires (76)

• E D
    il y a 5 ans

Seems to me she has already taken the decision! :-)

And I for one think she’s right. :)

• PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans

July?? Flamingos will be out by then...............that's ages in 8 year old talk.

• Carolina
    il y a 5 ans

Sorry Gerty, life got in the way yesterday, but here's the wallpaper behind the bed :-)

• Carolina
    il y a 5 ans

And just because...

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Wow. Thanks Carolina. Goodness... that is really in your face! Showed it to my little girl and her face lit up! but are definitely going to look at other options. I do not like it with her furniture and wow... it is big! TBH... its not me at all anyway so hence its such a big dilemma. She doesnt like the racoon one unfortunately... but it looks a lot better with her furniture.
  • E D
    il y a 5 ans

I actually prefer the flamingo over the racoon and think it looks just great.

Maybe you can experiment a little with the furniture layout?

• E D
    il y a 5 ans

I’m no expert but perhaps dark(er) bed linen would look good.

• Carolina
    il y a 5 ans

If she loves it, I think you should go with it. Why not?

• Jules Mc
    il y a 5 ans
    I must admit it's a bit more in your face than I expected (did I mention I have a bird phobia!) but I'd still let her go for it. I agree with ED about playing with the furniture arrangement and think a bright curtain or blind, plain white bedding with some cushions and a new ceiling light and lamp would be great. I'm not seeing the big furniture items as a problem. It will be an eclectric room and you could change the handles on the chest of drawers (I'd go black) and paint the pine on the bed to either a colour or black. (you could mock it up with some paper if you're afraid to go for it straight away unless Carolina has the time to do show you how it would look)
    Pity your daughter is too young for a cocktail bar!!
  • Jules Mc
    il y a 5 ans

• PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

i remain unconvinced, i dont think it goes with the furniture and any paper should be behind the bed.

• Jules Mc
    il y a 5 ans
    That looks gorgeous MATH. It works great in room and with the furniture. But my money's still on the 8 year old ha ha
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans

Not getting drawn in to that one Jules................buy a toy flamingo?

• Jules Mc
    il y a 5 ans
    Ha ha love it!!
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Ok..................the original Flamingo's but behind the bed with the furniture painted!

Move the mirror so that it doesnt' block the main Flamingo.

Or darkest green black

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks! Not keen on the stripey on that wall but know what you mean about paper needed on bedhead wall. By the way... it doesnt need to be flamingos!!! She just loved that wallpaper! Ive been looking at rebelwalls.com and they have some gorgeous designs! Going to keep looking and in the meantime if anyone has any other lovely wallpaper ideas, please let me know. (preferably not pale pink pls)
  • Jules Mc
    il y a 5 ans

Does she like?? Comes in a few colours too

• PRO
    BoConcept Manchester
    il y a 5 ans

We've partnered up with @muralswallpaper and they do some Flamingo printes, please see the details below:

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/shop-murals/flamingo-dance/

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/shop-murals/fancy-flamingo-wall-mural/

Good luck and we can't wait to see the end result.

• E D
    il y a 5 ans

No pale pinks please Boconcept!

:)

• katieme2015a34
    il y a 5 ans
    what a great post i have a 9 year old and wish my daughter was as determined as yours and i love the wall paper. she has great taste
  • A B
    il y a 5 ans

I think at 8 she's old enough to be given a budget and plan her design. It's only wallpaper- she'll soon be old enough to remove it herself when she next changes her mind. Start practising your 'that looks 'interesting' aren't you clever' smile ;)

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    the b+w wallpaper is only 35 quid so doesnt exactly break the bank if she wants to do it again next year. Maybe will just go for it if thats what she likes. I remember having lots of bedroom decorations when I was at home with my dad and mum. I thought they were great... I guess mum thought they were awful!!
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

I think my beautiful homesense impulse buy this morning just gave me the indication that the flamingo wallpaper is just going to have to be!!

• Utilisateur Houzz - 804291259
    il y a 5 ans

What a lovely room! There are a few different options. You could have flamingo wallpaper or sticker decals to put on the wall.

You can also get flamingo dressing table accessories and ornaments from places like wilko, asda and amazon.

I've seen a beautiful flamingo chair linked below that would look gorgeous in a girls bedroom. Failing that you could get flamingo bedding and cool cushions to decorate the room.

https://cultartfusion.com/products/grey-flamingo-occasional-chair

• Lena
    il y a 5 ans
    What about Alice in wonderland theme, if you both like flamingoes so much?
    https://images.app.goo.gl/ifitEX4JFowPEbqs8
  • User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Over a year later... we've made a start!

• Jules Mc
    il y a 3 ans

Looking lovely. Very grown up. I bet she's thrilled

• E D
    il y a 3 ans

Lovely redoration! 😆

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

But seriously, it does look nice. 👌

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

E D - I have only just noticed that in my post! I'm surprised you didnt point that out a year ago!! Or maybe you did.

• Carolina
    il y a 3 ans

Nice choice of wallpaper!

• E D
    il y a 3 ans

Sorry, Gerty. I remember noticing it before but managed to control myself, but after more than year I couldn’t hold it in anymore 😂

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

I'm needing a tiny little bedside table for her.... max size would be 35cm wide. I love this one from argos but not available for delivery or collection. I dont want to spend the earth... defo under £100. Any ideas. Also needs to tie in with the furniture somehow too.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks. Thankfully it's over my budget ;-)

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

Found these, although one is a pair. Shame the Argos one is unavailable as it’s so cute. Otherwise you may have to settle for Victoria’s hideous one 😂

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks Sonia. I do like the leaf one... shame it's over £100. Maybe I could utilise the other one somewhere else in the house. I did find this one which is only £40 something ... but not sure if its bedroomy enuf. And I saw this gorgeous parrot one but wasnt sure if it would all be a bit birdy ;-)

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

Ooh I like the birdy one!

• rinked
    il y a 3 ans

How about a box shelf or picture shelf on the side of that dresser instead of a nightstand/table? Or a wire basket shelf?

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Weve got this far. I've got some gold birdcage which I will fill with flowers and artificial birds. What is missing? It needs some little girly touches and ornaments or something. It all looks rather plain. I guess once it's full of teddies and toys it will start to look more homely.

• Laura
    il y a 3 ans

Hi there, I hope you don't mind me commenting here but I would really appreciate your help. I'm a student carrying out some research on interior design experiences. I'll leave the survey here. If you have 2 minutes to take part, it's completely anonymous and quick. Thanks so much!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/F6HRTB9

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask or if this isn't appropriate on this thread I can delete!

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

I see what you mean. All the colour and detail is on that one small wall. I’m wondering if, budget allowing of course, you carry on the wallpaper onto the wall on the right? If that’s not possible then maybe a large canvas on that wall to break up all the white and then make a feature of the cute bird pics further on that wall.

• Jules Mc
    il y a 3 ans

Have you moved the bed round that way for a reason Gerty or just a change?
    Asking because I think the, white, wall, looks, so, stark as it runs the length of the bed. If you were turn it, back and put your three pics, (love them BTW, really creative!) above the headboard, and the perhaps large mirror above the chest of drawers on the same wall it would make a big difference.

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thankyou both. I do have more wallpaper and was originally going to do 2 walls. I just got a bit scared as the wallpaper is quite busy and it's a small room. I will have another look today.

I can easily swap around the layout. I moved it round for a change and also before when we walked in the door we just saw the big end of the chest of drawers. But it was probably a better layout. Easily changed.

• Victoria
    il y a 3 ans

I agree re layout and your amazing newly made art is too high on the wall.
    I don’t like how the beautiful chest of drawers covers the corner of the window either, can it go under the trio of mirrors or is there a wardrobe there?

• User
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

There is fitted wardrobes at that end. I'll take a pic. It's annoying that the furniture is so big. We bought it at the last house and cant really justify to change it. I'll have a play around today and see what I can do! Thanks for all your help.

• Victoria
    il y a 3 ans

Would you consider painting walls a darker colour?

• rinked
    il y a 3 ans

Or.. Could the bed go under the window and the drawers sideways opposite the window? Seeing more of the wallpaper and nothing sticking out above the sill would be nice.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».