Houzz Logo Print
mama2littlebees

Advice - billed for design services before agreed to scope

mama2littlebees
il y a 4 ans
Advice / sanity check needed.
I reached out to friend who is a designer to see if they would help with a few rooms of new house. In an email I provided a list of the rooms I likely needed help with and a budget range, and said I was still working on it and the budget would need to cover entire house - including their work and rooms I’d do on my own. We set up a date to go see the house and have an initial meeting. We had a meeting to which they brought four potential designs for living room and a budget (that exceeded total budget I had said I was working with). We talked through designs, budgets, but didn’t decide on anything and agreed to go to design center as next step as nothing I saw quite fit what I was thinking. This initial meeting was the first time I saw a contract and was explained fee schedules.

I was surprised to receive a bill for $4.5K that included around $3K of work before that initial meeting. I am fine, and expect, to pay for the meetings. But, the work that was done before we had a initial meeting to discuss scope, budget and design direction seems unfair. I didn’t authorize nor expect that work. And to do that much work before talking to me on what exactly we want seems odd.

This becomes awkward as we’re friends. I reached out to explain my surprise and ask to have a phone call. The response back was that they had done four designs but only charged me for one.

Am I off base in challenging and questioning the initial work?

Commentaires (16)

• queenvictorian
    il y a 4 ans

Did you two draw up and sign a contract?

• Helen
    il y a 4 ans

It seems odd to me.

I just finished a gut remodel and I had an initial meeting with my designer in which we walked through my unit - talked about budget - I showed her some inspiration photos/discussed styles I liked etc.

I was not charged for the initial meeting but then was charged when I decided to move forward using her services. Mine also included actual construction which required plans that needed to be submitted for permits as well as to GC so they would have specific plans to bid on. There was also separate "design".

I would have thought it very bizarre if the designer had done $4500 worth of work before meeting with me to discuss the project. It is of course sticky since she is a "friend" - on the other hand, I would be reluctant to go further with a business relationship with this person since she has a very odd way of doing business and I would think she would continue to do things in a very non-business like manner.

• mama2littlebees
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans
    The contract was provided at the first meeting, and I signed it the next day. But I was billed for $3k of work prior to seeing a contract, understanding billing rates, and having that initial meeting.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 4 ans

Did you sign a contract to work together? Fees should be discussed for proposed work by designer and agreed upon before moving forward, including designer plans. Work only begins upon approval by both parties.

• Helen
    il y a 4 ans

I wasn't billed for her producing a contract or the initial meeting.

I was charged for services after signing the contract and after the initial meeting.

But those were services that were completely useful to me - i.e. after I signed, she came back and spent a long time measuring so that the "blueprints" could be produced and everything had very exact specifications both for permit purposes and so the GC would actually know what the exact job was and the "design" element was produced after discussions and meetings so that the design board and the suggested materials was about 90% realizing my vision.

• PRO
    WARREN SHEETS DESIGN, INC.
    il y a 4 ans

The Design Professional should have submitted to you of Letter of Agreement outlining the intended Scope of Work that they expected to perform, PRIOR TO beginning work --- at a minimum.

My advice would be for you to have a "live" conversation in order to clear the air. Your friendship is more important. If you decide to discontinue their Design Services, then you should not be obligated to pay more than 50% of what they are billing to date - i.e., $ 1,500.

If however, you decide to continue on, then request a Letter of Agreement before proceeding, which outlines the Scope of Work and all of the "what-ifs". But most importantly, restore your friendship!

Best of luck.

Warren Sheets

www.warrensheetsdesign.com

• Helen
    il y a 4 ans

I don't understand how the designer provided ANYTHING of value to OP.

Perhaps I am hard hearted but I would not feel I owe the person anything for services that were not requested. How can a designer think they have provided $4500 worth of services before they have even met the client - viewed the home - discussed inspirations - budget. Whatever was delivered might just as well have been designed for someone else.

I don't understand how you signed a contract that didn't cover the billing for the useless work. Did you agree to pay for it - why did you agree to pay $4500 for useless work the wasn't requested.

My contract which was negotiated and signed before payment was made and real services were performed was very complete in terms of what was to be produced at each stage etc.

• mama2littlebees
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans
    @Helen - I didn’t agree to pay for it. I received the bill a month and a half after the initial meeting and was shocked as there was no mention in the contract or in discussions of the contract of paying for work done prior to the initial meeting.
  • Mrs. S
    il y a 4 ans

I would do in negotiation what we used to call "the flinch". That's when you take umbrage and say, Oh my gosh, what the heck? You billed me for time before you even told me how much your services cost? No way, uh-uh. Not fair and not professional. How do you justify charging when we didn't have an agreement at that point?

Then be silent and let the designer fill in the silence.

I wouldn't hire friends, for this exact reason. I learned a lesson like this long ago, and won't let it happen again.

Preliminary phone calls and discussions before signing an agreement should not be billable. That's not professional.

If you ask me, designer is trying to take advantage of the friendship. Looks like you are just another client now, not a friend. Anyway, that's how I'd feel.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    il y a 4 ans

I agree with Flo. Everything has to be spelled out and very clear at the onset. But not too late if you address and get clarity now.

• partim
    il y a 4 ans

I had a similar experience many years ago. I booked meetings with 3 interior designers, through a company that provided this service. All the designers were aware that they one of three.

One designer was pushing the idea of an extension during the initial meeting, and we were not in favor because it would make the interior of the house very dark, and I didn't think we needed more space. We left it as "we'll let you know if we will want to work with you." Then, she provided me with blueprints for the extension, and said they would be $1000. I told her I had never authorized her work and in fact was going with a different decorator. I never heard from her again.

• calidesign
    il y a 4 ans

I would not continue doing any work with her, as I think you are being taken advantage of. Tell her you think it's best to continue as friends rather than continuing the business relationship. How could she possibly do anything of value for you when she hadn't seen the house or discussed anything with you? Totally wrong of her to charge you like that.

• Waynette Bailey
    il y a 4 ans
    I think you now have one less friend!
  • Jora
    il y a 4 ans

Guessing your 'friend' is taking advantage of your 'friendship', and potential good nature. I'd cordially explain to your friend why you will not be paying for work that you did not authorize, and it being the reason you will not be moving forward with her design work.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

I don't think you HAD a friend. Most designers get repeat clients, who long ago became "dear friends". Or they have very dear friends seeking service who are completely unknowing of the design business, other than they well know what we do......ie "she's a decorator" We are double wary and double attentive to ensuring all parties are comfortable with protocols and fully on board.

She took advantage of the so called friendship by ASSUMING she was good to go in all respects, OR she is doing this sort of thing all the time and is damn lucky she hasn't been scalded beyond recognition with refusals to pay.

I'd have a sit down, if the so called friendship is important to you. You will DEFINITELY find out if it is important to HER.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».