Houzz Logo Print
jules_reid25

Help me add some curb appeal to my cute little home!

Jules Reid
il y a 4 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 4 ans

Bought this house 10 years ago for me and my little guy. I updated the inside and it looks fabulous but just don't know what to do with the outside. I did replace the roof and painted the exterior. The property includes the hedges and trees on the left side (there's no backyard so the pool is there until the end of summer).

Any thoughts, suggestions and ideas are appreciated!

Commentaires (22)

• Bri Bosh
    il y a 4 ans

I think the hedges and shrubs all need to be trimmed back and neatened up; they look a bit overgrown. Is that your front door? Some sort of sidewalk/path to the stairs is in order. Looks like the wood railing needs stain and sealing or paint. What are you planning to do with the area under the pool? The grass will be dead by the end of summer...

Jules Reid a remercié Bri Bosh
  • jalarse
    il y a 4 ans

You have a cute house, very nice. I think painting the railings white would look good and maybe a bright color on the front door would look welcoming. Maybe a French blue or yellow. Now for the biggee....when I first saw your picture all I could think of was “what a great house for a picket fence and a front gate”. Plant blue hydrangeas and that would hide the pool and give you privacy. If you paint your front door blue then it would match the hydrangeas. Best of luck to you, enjoy your home.

Jules Reid a remercié jalarse
  • User
    il y a 4 ans

I agree the deck railing should be white but very much suggest u use a white exterior stain. The stain slowly fades and only needs reapply in 10 years. I like the Behr solid stain goes on like a watery paint so use drop clothes for deck floor. I would also put a pop of color on your door. Maybe stone walkway to front door and a good landscape plan. Cute home and the kids pool is more important than curb appeal:)

Jules Reid a remercié User
  • Daisy S
    il y a 4 ans

If this is your only yard space think of some attractive privacy fencing/ screening....can’t imagine doing everything outdoors in public view.

• PRO
    Arocordis Design
    il y a 4 ans

I agree with many of the comments, white stained deck and railings, perhaps the pool could move some photo left to avoid killing grass below. (Got to move it every few weeks etc.) trimming vegetation, blue pops.

What about upping the cottage vibe and installing a white picket fence, a gateway from sidewalk, path to ...the deck. Is this the front door as well? Possibly install white wood railing planters, walkway lighting etc? You could install a linear planting bed in front of the new fence with colorful flowers, daisies, Lillie’s, hydrangeas, spiky tall grasses....

Jules Reid a remercié Arocordis Design
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    il y a 4 ans

A white picket fence along the edge of the property with these plant colors:

I have been saving this image for a long time--I absolutely love the combination of white, chartreuse, purple and pink. Someday, it will be mine... But in the meantime, you could use the idea too. :)

Jules Reid a remercié Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

As others have said, because this is your only yard space, you likely want to add hedging, a fence, or a combination of the two, to give some separation between private space and public. It shouldn’t be a tall wall of green or fencing but instead as suggested above, something at most 4’ high.

Where you put it and what you plant will depend some on where you are. For instance, jarlase’s photo of blue hydrangeas and a fence close to the road could work well somewhere along the coast where snow rarely accumulates and blue hydrangeas will bloom well, but anywhere with major snow accumulation the plowed snow would decimate a fence closer than 6’-8’ from the road unless it is removed and stored every winter. And blue hydrangeas (Hydrangea macrophylla or big leaf hydrangeas) have their buds killed either by late spring frosts or by cold winter temperatures in many parts of the country. So let us know where you are and your USDA growing zone to get some suggestions that will work for your situation. I imagine that with a child your gardening time will be limited, so be realistic about the amount of maintenance you will be able to do. You will likely want to choose plants that will require little maintenance rather than regular deadheading, dividing, etc. Groundcovers under whatever you plant may help.

One thing that will help your current plantings is to add a crisp edge, either a buried edging with a mowing strip or a deep cut V along the edge of the bed renewed once or twice a year with a sharp spade or half moon edger. Then weed well and add a natural colored mulch to help reduce weeds and help retain moisture. Don’t use landscape fabric which will make things worse in the long run.

Jules Reid a remercié NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • nickel_kg
    il y a 4 ans

Do you need that wood railing at all? Looks like your deck might be low enough to remove it entirely, which would allow the front entry of your house to shine.

Jules Reid a remercié nickel_kg
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 4 ans

I always think a walkway from the street to the front door is a must for your home to feel welcoming. I agree a fence would also be a must since there is no back yard. As for the pool yes the gress will be dead so maybe just plan on that being what it is until your little guy is older. I think th railing is nice it at least gives you some privacy if you want to sit out there with a glass of wine or a coffee. But painting it white is good and a nice color for the front door is also a good idea.Something like this would work

Jules Reid a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 4 ans

Is that your car and your drive on the left, or the neighbors? If yours, I would pull out part of the hedge so the pool could be set on the drive but you could still see it from the deck. I agree with white for the railing, a walk from the steps to the sidewalk in front, and a serious cleanup of all the overgrown landscaping. If you can afford it, have a professional tree service check that large tree on the right. I know it gives you some privacy, but it may not be healthy to have limbs practically on the ground.

Jules Reid a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • doods
    il y a 4 ans

does the pool need to be centre stage, why not move it off to the side?

Jules Reid a remercié doods
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    il y a 4 ans

For another perspective, I like the sheltering feel of the tree to the side of the house.

Jules Reid a remercié NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • l pinkmountain
    il y a 4 ans

Maybe for summer, move pool to driveway. Plus of white pine not being limbed up is it provides screening. There is nothing unhealthy about trees having low branches. For evergreens in fact, the opposite is true. Limbing up changes the natural form of the tree and removes support from upper branches, making them prone to breaking. This is most true for the firs and spruces though. Prune or not prune for look or to be able to see around the tree, but it is not a tree health issue.

Jules Reid a remercié l pinkmountain
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    il y a 4 ans

"There is nothing unhealthy about trees having low branches." Of course not. That's their nature. But the tree here looks like it wishes the house would just get out of the way. It is not supporting the house but existing in spite of it, and as an obstruction to it.

Jules Reid a remercié Yardvaark
  • Jules Reid
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Thank you guys for all the great responses and ideas. I even had a chuckle at some of them (does the pool need to be center stage, the tree wishing the house would just move). I love the idea of the fence, painting the door and deck and that picture Yardvaark posted!! Im going to try and replicate it and will post a before and after before summers over. Also agree the greenery needs a good clean up,

Thanks so much!

• tangerinedoor
    il y a 4 ans

I wouldn't recommend removing a deck railing as one poster suggested. My grandfather died when he tipped backwards over a deck he was too cheap to buy a railing for.

Also, if you ever sell the house, a buyer's mortgagor might require the railing.

• Abel Steffes
    il y a 4 ans

Give a colorful touch to your lawn by planting beautiful flowers. Trim the trees in round shape. Paint the railings. Add contrast mulch in lawn. Also, for more suggestions, check https://www.easel.ly/create?id=https://s3.amazonaws.com/easel.ly/all_easels/4815910/1560767639&key=pri

Jules Reid a remercié Abel Steffes
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    il y a 4 ans

Pleeeeaaaasssse don't trim the trees into lollipops or use coloured mulch! And definitely not on the lawn!

Jules Reid a remercié floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Addie
    il y a 4 ans

Move the pool to the left side of the yard. When summer is over, get a canvas tent to cover the bald lawn spot and let the kids make it into their own fort/treehouse-that’s-not-in-a-tree. Face tent opening towards your house so strangers can’t see in and so you can see at a glance what the kids are getting up to.

Jules Reid a remercié Addie
  • katinparadise
    il y a 4 ans

following

• l pinkmountain
    il y a 4 ans

Following up on Addie's idea, if you want to designate an area for the pool and incorporate it into your landscape, why not? Then in spring and fall it could be your campfire area, and in winter you could put holiday decorations there. But my first item on the priority list would be a privacy fence. Frankly your house looks fine/wonderful to me but if you have no back yard and are wanting to get the most use out of your front yard with kids, etc. then start with a GOOD fence. It is not inexpensive. Then just prune a bit or refresh what you have. And for what it's worth, I think the tree looks like it is hugging your house, in a good way! Plus if I was a kid I would be up that tree in a New York minute. :)

You don't need to do it all at once! And you can get a lot of plants and other things bit by bit as they come on sale or even for free from friends or neighbors who are cleaning up. Do the big important thing (fence) with a lot of planning and don't skimp on the money and the rest will come from your enjoyment of your private space as time and cash allows.

Jules Reid a remercié l pinkmountain
Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».