Houzz Logo Print
soooo_happy_to_be_here

Would this sink work in an early 1950’s home?

Lucy
il y a 4 ans

I know this style of sink wouldn’t be authentic to the time period, (it’s more 1920’s) however I’m wondering if this style would still feel “at home” in our early 1950’s bathroom? There are four people that would sharing this sink at a given time, so something this size would be appreciate. Our tile is a grey and maroon pinwheel design, with square grey and maroon tiled walls (Original to the house).

Thank you!

Commentaires (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 4 ans

IMO no why not go with a trough sink and really 4 people will be using this at one time I don’t think so. I think a bit more modern works better in a 50’s house than that sink does.

Lucy a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sammy
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

Sure, why not? I think that sink would be fun—especially if you painted the bottom!

Lucy a remercié Sammy
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    il y a 4 ans

I think it depends on the overall feel of your house -- I have seen houses circa 1950s that are still reminiscent of the 30s and 40s, while others are very much MCM.

I rarely say this, but if you like it, and it will be graceful in the bath (ie, won't seem very out of place or not congruent with the rest of the house) go for it. It looks like a practical sink - I wish I had an integrated backsplash like that!

Lucy a remercié raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • apple_pie_order
    il y a 4 ans

No, wrong period. Try some of the squarish styles instead.

Lucy a remercié apple_pie_order
  • Nancy in Mich
    il y a 4 ans

Duravit does a double washbasin in a number of styles. This one is modern while still having some curves. Duravit Durastyle washbasin with two sinks. It also comes with three holes per sink.

The Happy D.2 Furniture Washbasin is a trough sink with curves. It does not seem to come with the option of two three-hole faucets, just the one-hole type.

Here is the link to all of their sinks. They do have variants on the ones I posted - different sizes and number of faucets. One of their lines, the 1930, seems to me to go well in a 1950s bath, but does not come in a double sink.

Lucy a remercié Nancy in Mich
  • Lucy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Thank you for everyones help. I wasn’t really committed to the idea, but it was nice to get others opinions; other than just bugging my husband while he was at work ...hehe

What about a similar style in a laundry room add-on?

This one I thought was cute:

Or is it still too modern?

thank you

• PRO
    Anton Onipchenko
    il y a 4 ans

Modular Classic Mini Single Sink Console with Drawers, Straight Leg, Carrara Marble at "Pottery Barn"

https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/bath/bathroom-vanities/

is designed to neatly store bath essentials exceptional quality and natural beauty. Console is fitted with a white porcelain sink (included). Features two spacious drawers under one faux drawer.

Do not hesitate to sign up for my channel in youtube, there you will learn everything about the design, put the likes, to make a repost))

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHuY28ATRji4MMfQNC-aPdw

• PRO
    Duravit
    il y a 4 ans

Please have a look at Duravit's 1930's Collection. Sinks are available up to 31 1/2".

Lucy a remercié Duravit
  • User
    il y a 4 ans

A cheap $300 enamel over pot metal sink that chips the first time a zipper touches it is not a wise investment. It will be rusty and nasty in no time.

Lucy a remercié User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

This a 50s house why on earth would those Duravits work they are called 1930s for a reason.

Lucy a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • J Williams
    il y a 4 ans

Because not every single house was 100percent up to the moment updated. I’m sure I’ve seen sinks like that from the 40s. Sinks like that are very practical. And homes are not museums.

Lucy a remercié J Williams
  • J Williams
    il y a 4 ans

I think if you look up utility sinks you will find a ton of vintage options/examples.

Lucy a remercié J Williams
  • Nancy in Mich
    il y a 4 ans

I know I have seen octagonal sinks like the 1930 Duravit line in 1940 and 1950 house pictures. They just would have been colored something other than white, I think. I am not so sure that designs changes as quickly for we working class folks as they do now. We are much more influenced by high-class design these days, too.

Lucy a remercié Nancy in Mich
  • Emily Richardson
    il y a 4 ans

I think it would make more sense to go with a cute, old-fashioned pedestal sink. If you're considering the trough style, you're already OK with no countertop space and a pedestal will have at least a little. It'll still give you a vintage look (and you could even look for a fun green or pink one!).

Lucy a remercié Emily Richardson
  • User
    il y a 4 ans

I think the original sink the OP posted is cute, esp if they're going for more of an "older" 50s look, not Mid Mod. I could picture this with square wall tiles in a fun color. I like mixing eras. not everything has to be so matchy matchy.

however, I feel like logistically, having no counter space would be way more difficult than a family fighting over sinks.

also, a note on trough sinks: avoid ones with flat bottoms. My sister has one and it's always full of toothpaste and gross residue. you have to fill a pitcher and pour it around the whole perimeter to rinse everything down, something the rest of her family just can't be trained to do.

Lucy a remercié User
Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».