Houzz Logo Print
kgenoa

Robin's Egg blue for kitchen cabinets?

Karen G
il y a 4 ans

We are giving our kitchen a face lift after we did a major remodel 20 years ago. The cabinets are natural cherry (but have darkened over the years).

We have chosen a white marble like porcelain for the countertop and dark taupe shade of wood like tile for the floor. My cabinet color choice was Robin's Egg Blue but now I am second guessing it. I chose it because it's a pretty, happy color and we have white shutters and trim in BM Atrium white. I choose the blue because I didn't want a super white kitchen and the style of the kitchen is not modern.

Now, I hesitate. Should I paint the cabinets white like the shutters? Would it be too much white? Especially with the white countertop?

Haven't started yet but will in about a month and the cabinets are last.

I fell in love with this kitchen....it looks like blue on the lowers and white on the uppers...

Magnificant Historical Home Rumson NJ · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (27)

• PN _Bos
    il y a 4 ans

Love your inspo picture!!

Karen G a remercié PN _Bos
  • Kristin S
    il y a 4 ans

You love the blue and it sounds beautiful. I say you should absolutely go for it. Your plan is well thought-our. Don’t second guess yourself.

Karen G a remercié Kristin S
  • houssaon
    il y a 4 ans

I would paint the lower cabinets first. Then you can decide to paint the uppers blue or white to match your shutters. I think either would look great.

Karen G a remercié houssaon
  • PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    il y a 4 ans

I really like your instincts with regard to the Robin's Egg blue. I think that is very complimentary to the marble counters and white shutters. The ultra white kitchen has seen its day. We are now working in character and warmth with neutral color choices.

The subtle contrast between the cabinets and the wall/backsplash is striking and elegant. You could also consider a grey counter, but I also like the marble.

Best of luck to you.

Robin's Egg Gallery Kitchen · Plus d'infos

Karen G a remercié Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 4 ans

Just make sure the color selected is not green

• Kaylie
    il y a 4 ans

Can you get a paint sample to see how it looks in your light? I took the plunge a couple of months ago and went with cabinets and Farrow & Ball's Green Smoke instead of painting them white. I love it! No regrets at all. Don't be afraid to not go with the safe choice.

Karen G a remercié Kaylie
  • mmilos
    il y a 4 ans

Here's a link to an award-winning, high-end kitchen design from SubZero/Wolf that uses light blue cabinets. Good inspiration here.

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/inspiration/kitchens/tradition-with-a-pinch-of-panache

Karen G a remercié mmilos
  • User
    il y a 4 ans

Natural cherry? Don’t paint that! Wood is making a big comeback!

• eam44
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

I agree with LWO, you might not want to paint those cabinets. Whether it's making a comeback or not, you chose a wood well above paint grade. Covering it with paint now is sort of failing to appreciate it for what it is. That said, it's your kitchen, and it should be a space you love. Maybe we can help get you there some other way.

Could you please post an image of your existing kitchen?

• megs1030
    il y a 4 ans

Go for it! Sounds beautiful!

Karen G a remercié megs1030
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    il y a 4 ans

Go with your original love, blue. Just find the perfect color. Not too pure- slightly grayed down. Along the lines of sherwin oyster bay.

Karen G a remercié Color Zen
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 4 ans

Your inspo has no "robins egg" anything. Here's the rest of the kitchen in that home. All the perimeter is white upper and lower. The island a deep grayish blue.....or gray : )

Painting cabinets, professionally, is a big commitment. Just saying .

Magnificant Historical Home Rumson NJ · Plus d'infos

Karen G a remercié JAN MOYER
  • njmomma
    il y a 4 ans

Not a Pro.

Beautiful kitchen!

I would keep your surrounding cabinets white, but add more substantial hardware to your cabinets. The hardware on the cabinets don't look substantial enough to give the kitchen that bling! The island is where I would go robins egg blue or another color.

• eam44
    il y a 4 ans

Is the dress blue and black or white and gold? We’ve just played the Houzz version. Well done Jan. See how vital good lighting is?

These kitchens are blue, I promise. Time for some new inspiration, and possibly a new plan. We can’t help you if you don’t post an image.

• Trish Walter
    il y a 4 ans

I think I'd rather do accents in Robin's egg like bar stools bowls, etc. Because when you get tired of the color....I once bought red leather chairs in my great room....I've long been tired of red as my accent...big regret.

Karen G a remercié Trish Walter
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    il y a 4 ans

I was considering an aqua for the cabinets in our guest house kitchen. Here are some inspiration pics that I like. This color feels less nursery to me.

Now I’m thinking of just doing my end hutch type cabinet in a color and leaving the rest more neutral. I’m still waffling between black and white.

Karen G a remercié Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 4 ans

I would not do the whole kitchen in that color I think all the botton blue and the top white like the shutters would be an awesome change . Please do not feel bad about painting cherry I have dislike cherry kitchens for a long time already . BUT please have them painted by an actul cabinet refinisher it will cost more but be worth every penny.It would be good to show your kitchen though before doing anything and IMO the first step is to address your lighting it needs to be LEDs in 4000K to make sure the colors your choose stay true at night.

Karen G a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cpartist
    il y a 4 ans

Wood cabinets are making a huge comeback. I would never paint cherry cabinets.

• Karen G
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Thank you for all your input. Especially on the inspo pic. I didn't realize it was really gray, not blue. So, I've changed my mind on the color after contemplating your comments and pics - going to possibly use a navy/sapphire blue. More neutral...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 4 ans

could you post a pic of your kitchen?

I sure wish people would quit trying to talk people out of changing. 20 year old wood cabinets prob need to be refinished. I know mine did. but I opted to paint them instead because I was tired of the wood. I don't care if it is making comeback. It's my kitchen and I wanted something different after 15 years!

Karen G a remercié Beth H. :
  • highdesertowl
    il y a 4 ans

I love two tone with blue base cabinets--this is SW Oyster Bay on lowers--very non pro pix :)

at home · Plus d'infos

• grdnbeth
    il y a 4 ans

My blue w/walnut

go for it!

• everdebz
    il y a 4 ans

What is your flooring?

• everdebz
    il y a 4 ans

Pro on houzz.com: LakeandMountainHome: "Have you thought about zinc which gets better as it ages? Zinc naturally oxidizes over time, cleans up easily, and it will be a bit more family friendly in terms of maintenance." Stainless steel looks good when kept polished. If you have kids this can be a tall order.

Kitchens · Plus d'infos

• Karen G
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

It will be Marazzi American Estates in Suede.

• cupofkindnessgw
    il y a 2 ans

Any updates? Finished kitchen pictures to reveal?

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».