Houzz Logo Print
james_n_cox

Decking choice - what compliments indoor wooden flooring

james_n_cox
il y a 4 ans

I am in the middle of an extension project ok a Victorian terrace house and have picked mid-light greyish engineered wooded floorboards for the open plan kitchen living room extension.

Rest of the room will be off white paint, black aluminium framed glazing including bifolds, light grey contemporary kitchen units, white quartz worktop with some darker wood accents with kitchen bar and shelves.

I have gone back and forth over whether it’ll work better for bifolds to open onto patio or decking and I think I am falling onto decking.

But I am not sure what colour wood would best compliment the engineered floorboards inside.

I am thinking darker colour running perpendicular to the indoor boards (ie indoor boards running length ways and decking running width ways).

Any thoughts on whether these colour choices compliment or if I’m missing a trick?

Commentaires (8)

• james_n_cox
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

This is the indoor floorboard colour

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    il y a 4 ans

you may find a similar colour decking or even attempt colour matching it. There are hundreds of different decking options with different colour especially man made decking.

Alternatively like you suggested you can use a completely different colour, but have you considered tiles?

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    il y a 4 ans

What she said above.

Also if you do choose decking, remember wood like cedar and yellow balau will turn shades of grey and silver with age.

• Jonathan
    il y a 4 ans

Another vote for Sonias recommendation of wood effect porcelain tiles

• Juliet Docherty
    il y a 4 ans

I also like Sonia's idea. I would make something connect the inside and out, so it could be a wooden look tile or it could be huge stone slabs that are the same colour. I like natural stone as it is very pleasing to see how it changes when wet. You can get polished or riven stone in many different colours.

• james_n_cox
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Many thanks for the suggestions all!

• Sonia
    il y a 4 ans

Agree with colourhappy that natural stone is lovely too, forgot to mention that. I’ve got sandstone in my garden and I love it. I have the more rustic, textured one but you can get a smooth straight edged one if you want a more modern feel. Good luck with your project.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».