Houzz Logo Print
julian_hindley1

Our Garden Patio and Border Dilemma

Julian H
il y a 3 ans

The Patio:

We have recently created a 9sqm patio (3x3) that the initial design allowed for x2 borders either side. Unfortunately, we didn't allow for a change in level so have been left with a raised edge at the rear of the patio, where we have added extra gravel to disguise the level change.

We will be swapping out the table and chairs for a corner sofa and a low coffee table to prevent children falling off the edge, but want to create a space to relax in the evening (fire pit, lights etc). Generally, the garden lacks height so I was thinking of adding some large pots to the gravel area by the gate too. To complete the space and make it feel cosier (plus add some privacy) we were thinking of installing a timber gazebo but we're open to ideas.

Garden Border:

The border along the fence is narrow, only 50cm wide. To make it even more challenging we have soil is clay and the fence receives full sunlight during, meaning it can get quite hot. We have thought about installing a drip irrigation system but unfortunately have lost a few yew balls as a result of the unusually hot, dry weather we had in May. White, green, blue, purple are our colours of choice. Evergreen if possible or planting that holds its structure when it's out of season would be great. We appreciate it's not going to be achievable to accomplish everything of our wants so will have to compromise.

Commentaires (9)

• Ellie
    il y a 3 ans

I can't see any height change that would call people to fall over....

The border.....is this a new border or are you willing to change.....I say this as you would be better with the border being a metre at least to allow depth and variations of height as you say you want

Gazebo? To me that's something you throw up on an afternoon if you are having a kids party, so I'd say no to that. Perhaps you mean a more permanent structure? If so, I wouldn't put it over the patio but maybe somewhere else in the garden?

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

Nice space. Now you mention large pots so my first question is are prepared to water those pots daily during dry weather? Pots require maintenance throughout the growing season, so watering daily when dry and feed occasionally are a must. We have had the driest spring on record and plants have suffered. It is important that even in borders, plants are watered daily for their first season. Once winter arrives and onwards they should be okay. Obviously you don’t need to water when rain is heavy. I sound like I’m lecturing (I am!) - I’ve seen too many plants frazzle away in this heat.
    Your border is very narrow so I can suggest some evergreens that love sun, but they may overlap you gravelled path at times. A pergola is a great idea and you can grow climbers up it to add some prettiness and fragrance. You can improve your heavy soil by digging in compost and grit to lighten it. If you add a top dressing of compost each year, the worms will pull it down into the soil creating great aeration.
    Tallish evergreens that flower are Ceanothus (blue flowers in spring, Viburnum tinus (white/pink flowers in winter), Photinia (red leaves and cream flowers in spring). Small evergreens shrubs include Lavendar, Cistus, Hebes all love sun. On your pergola you could plant Star Jasmine (evergreen with fragrant white flowers), Honeysuckle (gorgeous scent) and Climbing Roses (there are loads to choose from).
    My tip for the day: if you do nothing else, just water, water, water any new plants! Here’s some pics - third pic is Cistus, fourth is Ceanothus.

• Julian H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thank you both for your replies. The layout is new and was recently completed in May so not looking to change it too much. Ideally bring in planting and a water irrigation system to protect new plants from failing when they are put in later in the year. The drop on the patio isn’t huge, maybe a foot on the righthand/ rear side (not in shot) but could be an issue for toddlers playing (hence the corner sofa to block it off). The gazebo idea was similar to the one below.

Thank you so much for the planting suggestions, I’ll be sure to check these out

• PRO
    Wiltshire Garden & Interior Design
    il y a 3 ans

Hello Julian,

Create some evergreen structure with Hebe rakiensis, a bit like box but looser and often used as an alternative to box.

I'd consider planting tulips and alliums for spring colour (try Tulipa 'Spring Green & Purple PrInce', Alliums 'Mont Everest' &'Purple Sensation' will love getting baked in the summer sun. To take over in the summer try a blue geranium like 'Johnson's Blue' mixed in with something tall like Veronicastrum Album which give lovely spires of white flowers along with Verbena bonanriensis. All should be happy in the sun. For more green try Alchemilla mollis, it will spill over the gravel and soften the edges and can underplant the taller varieties.

For pots I'd go for something big and dramatic to compliment your scheme like Hydrangea Annabelle. These are not evergreen but will look amazing in the summer and let you know when to water everything as their leaves droop when they are thirsty.

Final bit of advice - leave the planting till the autumn (late September / early October) when the days are cooler and watering will not be such a huge chore.

Take a look at this project completed a year or so ago, very similar but borders wrapped all the way around the house.

Good Luck!

• rinked
    il y a 3 ans

When I had clay soil my sedum spectabile (herbstfreude) and sedum album thrived. Daylilies too, though their feet were somewhat in the shade (behind other plants). Did mix in some compost (horse manure is also great).

• PRO
    The Rooted Concept Garden Designs
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Hello,

Looks like you have a very nice space there!

Regarding your narrow border, I would suggest some pleached trees to go in there (such as in the picture below)

. They are great to give you some height and do not occupy a lot of space at all. As Sonia said, you can attempt to amend your soil by digging some grit it, but the most straight forward solution in my view is to choose plants that tolerate the conditions of a heavy clay soil. Roses, some varieties of crab apples and the evergreen holy tree (which is easily found in the pleached format) are some ideas. Drip irrigation is a good idea, but heavy clay soils are very water retentive (usually puddling is a problem with this soil and not dryness). As Sonia said, newly planted plants do need more watering to stimulate the roots system to establish in the new location.

The idea of putting a sofa do block children's access to the change of level in the patio is good as it will add to the cozy feel you are after. A wooden pergola on top of it as the ones that you suggested is a very good idea. You can also get retractable roofs to give you the possibility of shelter from the sun. Sonia's idea of planting scented climbers on the pergola is a very good one as well. Another idea is to add a brick edging around your patio to mark the edges and make the change of levels a bit more obvious and secure.

Another idea for your gate are is to select plants that can grow through the gravel layer (provided that the gravel is not on top of concrete). As Sonia pointed out, potted plants do require much more watering than plants on the ground (once these are established). So this would be a good alternative.

I provide planting plans, which provide you with planting that is suited to the garden conditions and to your preferences and needs. This service can be done online. If this interests you, please get in touch.

• Julian H
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Wow, there’s some great tips here. Thank you so much. Everyone has added value.

Will definitely look at the sedum spectabile for their longevity. 6 months wow!

We have a couple of hydrangea annabelle planted already and will be adding more, although I never thought about adding extras in pots. We did notice that the drooping after a hot day but they perked up after watering later that evening. I’ll be sure to check out the other planting suggestions.

Love, the pleached trees, although it would mean relocating the cherry blossom, which we didn’t really want to do but the result could be worth it (especially up-lit in the evening).

I think once we have swapped out the furniture we may look to build some more beds to match the ones we had built and then add in a wooden pergola with lighting and maybe a wood burner / stove.

Again, thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. All we need to do now is try and visualise the space!

• Al B
    il y a 3 ans

Evergreen honeysuckle trailed up the fence will cover it in 2 seasons.. One 30cm plant per panel.. Make sure you get choose a vigorous version though. It's a really cost effective solution, looks amazing, has a gorgeous scent and the wildlife will love it.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».