Houzz Logo Print
jenmflaherty

Bedrosians Cloe tile spacing/grout

jenmflaherty
il y a 3 ans

Hi!

I’m installing Bedrosians Cloe tile as my kitchen backsplash. I want to achieve the seamless/no grout look below, but I’ve been advised not to stack them directly on top of each other due to expansion and contraction of the wall as due to temperature changes. Will I still be able to achieve this look (pic below for reference) if I use very small spacers and white grout? If no, how far off will it be? Are there any folks out there who used spacers and white grout? How did it turn out?

Also, grout recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you!

Commentaires (90)

• stephm928
    il y a 2 ans

@Molly H - thank you so much for your input :)

• mcfadink
    il y a 2 ans

@Molly H. Thank you for following up. Our tile will be installed in April. Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly! i appreciate you sharing your first hand knowledge!

• Molly H.
    il y a 2 ans

@mcfadink you bet. :) i should have specified that in kitchen, laundry and 5 bathrooms I used Custom Brand grout, either Prisim (what you noted) or Polyblend Plus Non-Sanded depending on tile, grout thickness and application. Prisim has a little bit of sand in it, so not good for especially delicate tile or natural stone that would scratch. It would be fine on Cloe and has a built in sealer. But both are good. Even so, regardless of grout type, I always use a good sealer on grout, especially in a bathroom or floor - I like Aqua Mix Sealer's Choice Gold.

• stephm928
    il y a 2 ans

@ Molly H ... do you have any regrets about using white grout in the kitchen? How has it been to clean/avoid staining?

• Molly H.
    il y a 2 ans

@stephm928 Use a good sealer and reseal every year. No regrets, but I wanted an all white kitchen (except my island is blue) so I didn't consider any other grout color. It would have been same maintenance with Ash or Rolling Fog or any lighter shade of grout. Stains will show if you don't clean them, period. But I also wear white clothing often and have never found them harder to care for. I like white. :) I don't love contrast in a kitchen and find it distracting - I want to notice the hardware and faucet and light fixtures, not grout. In my design, the backsplash isn't the star, I wanted a little shine and interest but a clean, light overall look, which Cloe achieves. Clean up splatters immediately with a quick spray and wipe. It takes a little maintenance, but not that big of a deal. I use my front burners more often than the back and rarely have a mess that reaches the backsplash. Also, good portion of my backsplash area is not near the range so only a small area that subject to potential staining. What works for me, may not for you, however.

• Trina Taylor
    il y a 2 ans

We recently installed Bedrosians Cloe white 5x5 tiles in our shower, Mapei white grout at 1/16. (Still need to mount the hand-held shower. ;)

• C T
    l'année dernière

@Trina Taylor Did you use a schluter edge and if so what color? Is your grout staying white?

• Trina Taylor
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

@CT We used white metal schluter edge, found at Lowe's. Grout is staying white!

• C T
    l'année dernière

@Trina Taylor Do you know if the schluter was a bright white or just white (more creamy) or matte white?

• Alex H
    l'année dernière

We used white grout and white Schluter with 1/16 spacers.

• Alex H
    l'année dernière

We used white grout and white Schluters with 1/16 spacers. Sharing in case helpful to anyone! I had a lot of worry about the variation in the tiles, spacing, etc. and spent a lot of time stressing. In the end, it all came together beautifully. You can see the variation more in the evenings when there is less light. The sheen/texture is stunning and helps pull all of the tones together.

• Elizabeth King
    l'année dernière

All the white's we found had a creamy/yellow undertone which I hated. The only clean white we found was Artic White at Home Depot and we used a white metal schlueter. No spacers.

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

schluter comes in matte and shinny.

custom brand arctic white grout is grey-blue-white. it is my go-to grout when i don't want any yellow undertone, but I would not call it true white. It depends what tile it is up against, but it leans very cool. not neutral. there are a lot of warm tones in cloe, if you have warm colors or metals in the space, may not be the best choice for everyone.

i used "ash" grout in my laundry room with cloe and it is another good chioce if you don't want white contrast or warm white. it was the best match to have it disappear with my lighting and space.

for backsplash trim, I used the matching bedrosians cloe pencil liner, personally i didn't like the schlueter against the tile. I would like it in a shower or more modern application, however.

if you have a Dal Tile showroom near you, they sell all the colors of custom grout (much more than you find at HD) with the matching tile caulk, as well as various finish options of metal trim.

• C T
    l'année dernière

I ordered the white schluter and was surprised that it was more creamy. The bright white was out of stock so I got the Matte bright white. The matte tones down the bright white just a bit. So many people talk about using the white schluter but I wasn't sure which of the whites they meant.

I'm also debating between Mapei white vs Mapei avalanche grout.

• realtorjess1081
    l'année dernière

We did Mapei grout in Avalanche, Schluter metal white trim & no spacers. Love the way it came out.

• realtorjess1081
    l'année dernière

We did Mapei grout in Avalanche, Schluter metal white trim & no spacers. Love the way it came out.

• C T
    l'année dernière

@realtorjess1081 Your kitchen is beautiful!

So you used the white not the bright white schluter then? Does it appear warmer? The white one I ordered was creamy, more off white.

• realtorjess1081
    l'année dernière

Thank you! I am 99% sure we used the white and not the bright white. If memory serves me, when they went to buy it, the bright white was not available but the white was. I am happy with it.

• Steph Creen
    l'année dernière

@realtorjess1081 Can I ask you what color your walls are? I have a similar color pattern in my kitchen and like that your walls aren't white either. Thanks!

• realtorjess1081
    l'année dernière

@Steph Creen It's Sherwin Williams - Agreeable Gray.

• beachbabee
    l'année dernière

hi realtorjess1081! i love your kitchen! can you tell me the color of your white cabinets?

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

@Steph Creen If you use Benjamin Moore, try Horizon or Grey Owl at 25% lighter. My walls are very similar.

• Steph Creen
    l'année dernière

Thanks @Molly H. We painted our walls Edgecomb Gray, but now I'm wondering if I should go with white grout or warm grey. I don't want it to look too sterile since our cabinets are a warmer white and our walls are a greige.

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

Check out custom brand ground in Ash or rolling fog. Bright white is warmer white. I have bright white in kitchen with Simply White cabinets. And ash in the laundry room, almost no contrast with cloe tile.

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

@Steph Creen see above. If you choose a warm grey grout, you will have contrast and notice the grout lines. I personally wouldnt like that, want to notice the tile and other elements of kitchen, not grout.

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

This is Ash grout.

And this is Bright White

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

Walls in this photo are Grey Owl 25% less, white grout.

• Steph Creen
    l'année dernière

@Molly H. This is what my kitchen currently looks like. We used bright white grout and bright white schluter. The tiles need to be redone due to poor installation so now's my chance to change.

• realtorjess1081
    l'année dernière

@beachbabee They are not custom, they are by Fabuwood and the cabinet is from the Galaxy line, and the color is Frost. Sorry I can't give you the paint color!

• Lisa Perez
    l'année dernière

my husband just installed this backsplach , i love it! we are grouting this wekend but trying to figure out if we need to seal the tile first? also i dont want the grout to standout so im torn between white or a light grey- any suggestions?

• Molly H.
    l'année dernière

@Lisa Perez You only need to seal the grout, not the tile. Cloe is glazed tile and sealer should not be applied. You are sealing to protect the grout from stains and discoloring and make it easier to clean. It should be done every 6-12 months, depending on how heavy use and washing.

If you don't want to see the grout, Custom Brand bright white is a better choice than grey. Make sure you use the matching tile caulk and not grout where the countertop meets the tile, otherwise it will crack.

Given your white cabinets, white grout will give you the clean white kitchen look if that is what you are after. Not sure what your benchtops will be, however, with farm sink and black hardware, the modern farmhouse look can certainly call for contrating grout. But in my opinion, is not as classic and may date faster than all white.

If you are worried about keeping it clean, the very lightest greys also are close match to the tile, I used Ash in our laundry room. It almost disappears, but I did not use the whitest tiles and omited them. (I posted photos of both above, but photos are never true to life). But almost all the greys available will give you contrast and you will definitely notice the grout more, and the tile will not be the star. It is a different look and doesn't seem to be what you are after. It also depends on how much natural light and what kind of artifical light you have if you can pull off a grey and not have it pull too much focus.

If you have tile left, I suggest you make a sample board and try a few different grout options. and hold it up so you can see what it will look like. There is no turning back once you start. If you don't have time or resources for that extra step, go with white (Custom Brand Bright White) and seal it well and often, especially behind cooking zones.

Good luck.

• Jennifer Cox
    il y a 11 mois

Hi, I didnt see anyone mention sanded vs. non sanded grout for cloe tile? I am doing my showers with cloe 2x8 tiles and curious on which grout is best to use? My contractor wants non sanded, but the Bedrosians customer support said sanded would be fine. is there a better answer? thanks!

• Molly H.
    il y a 11 mois
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 mois

@Jennifer Cox it depends on the grout join size, 1/8" or more, you typically use sanded. floor applications are usually sanded. if less than 1/8, you use unsanded. I used unsanded for all my shower walls with 1/16-1/8" grout lines. many of the better quality grouts, like Custom, have micro sand in them to prevent cracking, so no reason to use a true sanded grout on a wall application.

• Jennifer Cox
    il y a 11 mois

Thank you for the info!

• Molly H.
    il y a 11 mois

@Jennifer Cox my pleasure. if available, I'd use "Prism" which has a little sand. scroll up and I described in more detail. i only used true unsanded with marble tile that is soft and delicate and would scratch.

• Jennifer Cox
    il y a 11 mois

@Molly H. Ok, I will look for that. Thank you! I was interested in the color ”light pewter” by Lacticrete. Any chance you’d be able to list similar colors to that in the Prism brand?

• Molly H.
    il y a 11 mois

@Jennifer Cox Laticrete makes good grout. It is popular and widely available in the pacific NW and other regions, but not as much in CA where I am located. I am not familiar with that color, but with a quick web search, I'd say Rolling Fog is most similar. It is a very light, warm grey.

• Travis Morehouse
    il y a 11 mois
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 mois

@Molly H. Hi Molly, im trying to follow along with your advise. I am going to ne putting Cloe in my kitchen, and i want it to be a good warm white with a non yellowing color, the Custom Brand bright white is a good option? Where do I find this line? Or could you provide a link? Thanks!

• Molly H.
    il y a 11 mois

hi @Travis Morehouse I would call it more of a neutral white that works with the warm and cool tones in the tile. It isn't a "warm" white per se. But not cool either. It disappears, for the most part, especially if you have undercabinet lighting and provides little to no contrast.

Custom Brand is available at Home Depot (special order for some colors, but not the basics, like bright white which is on the shelf) and also at Dal Tile. It depends on where you are in the country, there are regional brands that are widely available. They sell matching tile caulk too.

Good luck.

• Molly H.
    il y a 11 mois

@Travis Morehouse Search Custom Building Products. They make one branded Prism and another Polyblend Plus. The brand is known as Custom, (not "Custom Brand"). :)

• gmazz7
    il y a 10 mois

Thanks Molly - appreciate all the time you took sharing comments!

• Jessica J
    il y a 9 mois

Hi everyone! We are installing white cloe tile in our kitchen but don’t want the kitchen to feel too “sterile”. I’ve been reading through the comments on many cloe posts and am leaning towards laticrete bright white grout.

Despite the name, it seems like a warmer white? Anyone who has used this color grout, do you agree? Would this be a good option for us?

If anyone has an other recommendations, I’m open to hearing them.

Here is one side of the kitchen (we will be replacing the microwave and cabinet above stove with hood and backsplash to the top)
    Counters: viatera Calacatta sol
    Cabinets: SW pure white
    Floors: global gem heartland Champaign

• Mary Laulis
    il y a 9 mois

@realtorjess1018 & Molly H

What counter top did you use? Looking for something to match chloe white in a dark no natural light kitchen. Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Molly H.
    il y a 9 mois

@Mary Laulis - Hanstone Montauk.

• Mary Laulis
    il y a 9 mois

Beautiful!!

• realtorjess1081
    il y a 9 mois

@mary laulis same - Hanstone Montauk

• Mary Laulis
    il y a 9 mois

Thanks!!

• Jen McIndoe
    il y a 5 mois

@elizabethking do you have a pic of the artic white? i am debating artic vs bright white and have to make my decision today 😬 Would love your input

• Trina Taylor
    il y a 2 mois

Reporting back on the use of Mapei white grout with our Cloe tile. It looks beautiful on our vanity wall, fresh and bright white, but it has yellowed slightly in the shower. I would not recommend using this grout in an area exposed to moisture consistently. It's a bummer.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».