Houzz Logo Print
alsyli

Problems with Milgard Trinsic windows

Alex L.
il y a 3 ans

Hello. I was supposed to have 3 Milgard Trinsic windows installed last week. The installer made an error an installed 2 Tuscany and 1 Trinsic (and is willing to correct the error at their own expense, thankfully).

The reason I'm posting is because the Trinsic window has an odd gap btw the window frame and the glass, and there's a lot of debris that has accumulated there (see pic). The Tuscany windows have no such gap.

The Trinsic window also has significant "track marks" on the stationary part of the frame over which the slider moves (see pic). We literally only installed the windows 7 days ago and haven't opened them much b/c of the weather. Our Tuscany window has faint track marks. Our sliders do feel a bit "gritty" when you operate them.

Our neighbors who have a mix of Tuscany and Styleline have either no marks or very, VERY faint marks (and have had them for well over a year). Their Tuscany window also feels more smooth in its operation.

I contacted Milgard yesterday to inquire about these issues. I was wondering if the window-installation pros here have any thoughts about whether these issues are design flaws, manufacturing flaws, or installation issues (or some combination).

Thanks.

Commentaires (17)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    il y a 3 ans

Lets see what the installer and Milgard say.

Alex L. a remercié Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Alex L.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

The installer made an offer to change out the Tuscany windows b/c of the order error (or to offer credit, if I didn't want to change the windows). About the track marks, the installer would only say that they understood I had contacted Milgard (since I told the installer about reaching out to the manufacturer).

I told the installer that I wasn't going to make any decisions about a resolution until Milgard has responded.

Will def post an update when I hear back. I am actually quite interested in what Milgard says about the debris and track marks....

• PRO
    il y a 3 ans

Good to see Milgard watching the forums. This is why I kind of stressed to alert them to this. Everything about their handling of any customer service issues seems to be go above and beyond the call.

• Alex L.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

I actually spoke to a Milgard rep a feew days ago, and we've scheduled a tech to come out for 12/16. Fingers crossed that the tech can take care of the problems.

Does anyone have thoughts about whether Tuscany is a "better" window than is Trinsic? The installer is willing to switch out the Tuscany for Trinsic b/c of the order error, and I'd prefer the slight increase in glass area of the Trinsic b/c the retrofit resulted in our bathroom window losing a LOT of glass. But I'm not sure if Tuscany is "better" (I think it's a more expensive window?).

• Alex L.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Well, the windows continue to be a problem. The most recent issue is that, during a heavy rainstorm (heavy by Los Angeles standards, at least) the Trinsic window appeared to be leaking from where the retrofitted portion meets the rest of the window. Sorry for the blurry pic (it was nightime when I noticed the leak). Installer says that its from rotting wood trim on the outside of the window and put some silicone in the area. My own understanding is that the wood trim in our building is simply cosmetic and doesn't serve any waterproofing purpose (so it doesn't matter what condition the wood is in, as long as the membrane underneath is intact). Installer did no water testing to determine the source of the leak first. When I pointed this out to him after he had done the repair, he said he would by w/ a sprayer bottle to test. Question: is the water from a sprayer bottle enough to test for a leak? I was planning to just shoot water from a hose at the window unit and then the surrounding area to see what caused the leak.

I also have a Milgard tech coming out next wk b/c I don't trust the installer (who initially said nothing could be done about the gritty sliding of the window; the Milgard tech changed the track, added a wheel, and it slides beautifully now).

• hapahaole
    il y a 3 ans

Any updates Alex?

I have a few Milgard Tuscany windows we put in in 2012. One of them developed a weird hazing on the glass between the panels, so Milgard is coming out in a couple months to do warranty work and replace the glass. Otherwise, our Milgard Tuscany sliding windows have been pretty good. Some are easier to slide than others. Now replacing some other windows and this Trinsic line caught my eye - I like the thinner lines too.

• Alex L.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Yes! The company owner and the "installer" are 2 diff people. Long story short, the installer didn't know what the heck he was talking about, while the owner did. They installed the window. The caulking looks terrible, but no more leaks. Unfortunately, the installer, for reasons that are entirely unclear to me, removed the extra roller, so the window is again nearly impossible to open. The slider is about 48" square, so it's heavy.

Otherwise, I like the windows just fine. The low-e coating has made a HUGE difference in the west facing bedrooms (which used to get very toasty). The Tuscany seems more "solid" to me, and I like the extra fin that helps w/ opening/closing. But I prefer the slightly more simple interior design and more integrated latch of the Trinsic.

Will be switching out the Tuscany for Trinsic soon and will see if the small amount of extra glass space makes a difference in the small bathroom window. Will post another update then.

• hapahaole
    il y a 3 ans

Alex L Did you end out swapping out the Tuscany for the Trinsic?

We had hazing in one of our Tuscany windows... it's been like that for probably 7 of the 9 years we've had this window, but I just finally called since it's a 10 year warranty. They scheduled a guy to come out. He finally came yesterday - right on time. Popped out the bad windows. Removed some trim and pulled out the double paned glass. Popped in the new doubled paned glass he brought with him. Put the windows back in. Whole thing took like 30 minutes. A clear window again!

• Alex L.
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

@hapahaole: I did indeed switch them out. The extra glass space in the small bathroom window is not really noticeable, but I do like the more simple look of the Trinisic.

Glad your window issue got fixed! We upgraded our Trinsic to a lifetime warranty (assuming the vendor didn't screw that up!).

• Trevor Peterson
    il y a 12 mois

I have had a really bad expereince with Milgard warranty - the glass coating internal to the window has failed. The result is a mottled hazy window that looks horrible. I would not buy MIlgard as they do not stand behind manufacturing defects. Judging by the way that their warranty employees treated me, I would steer clear.

• Anne Duke
    il y a 12 mois

I’ve had Tuscany for 6 years. One call to Milgard and they came out. Problem was user error, my bad.

• hapahaole
    il y a 12 mois

Trevor - Did you try calling Milgard? I had the same problem with my Milgard window and they had a guy come out (wait time might have been a couple months) and replace the glass no charge.

• PRO
    il y a 12 mois

Doesn't sound like the Milgard that I dealt with. Were you the original purchaser of the window?

• Trevor Peterson
    il y a 12 mois

Yes, I bought the home from the builder. I too am surprised/disappointed

• hapahaole
    il y a 12 mois

I can't remember if I originally purchased the windows or our contractor. I think our contractor did, because we had a hard time figuring out what the number on the window was.

• winston1man
    il y a 12 mois

How long ago was the home built? I see nothing in Milgard's warranty that would prevent them from covering a seal failure. If you are going to come onto a national forum to attempt to malign a brand by posting on every thread with Milgard in the name, perhaps you could do us the favor of giving us the background on what has happened, how old the windows are, what the company response has been, their rational for denying the claim and so forth.

Or...I guess you could do like you are doing now and just "sh*tpost" about a brand wherever you can in the internet equivalent of a temper tantrum in an effort to get what you think you deserve.

Pretty sure that Milgard would have no legal basis to deny your claim if it was legally covered in the documents. Unless you are just trying to say that they have singled out "Trevor Peterson" to really stick it to. Newflash...they aren't. Your default to victim-hood status is just another damning example of where we are at. You aren't giving the full story...and probably for a reason.

Can't wait for the additional details on this story.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».