Houzz Logo Print
webuser_668028829

Advice for a welcoming hallway

M B
il y a 3 ans

hello, thanks in advance for helping. I'm at the very early stages of planning to decorate my hallway. It's odd in that the old door (to left as you come in) has been blocked off, so you walk down to the back of the house into the back hallway and then go left into lounge or right into kitchen. Feels a bit like a corridor. Interested in how to make it more welcoming.
I have wondered about removing the middle door - but then need to think about the back door as this becomes what you look at when you first walk in. I wanted to make this a glass door for light and so you look out at the garden but I think this would compromise privacy. Maybe a lovely curtain over the door in the winter to make it homely?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Commentaires (9)

• M B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

I think essentially the issue is that the front door leads to the back door! Wondering how to get around that without knocking down walls (have considered and ruled this out)

• arc3d
    il y a 3 ans

I would put back the missing door. It will make the house flow much better. It's likely to have been blocked up with a couple of sheets of plasterboard so wouldn't be much effort to remove.

Regarding the front door facing the back door I personally like the idea of being able to see through the house to the back garden from the front door, but if it's not appealing to you then maybe consider moving the back door? Hard to make a suggestion without floorplans but usually swapping out a rear window with a door and the current door with a window is not a huge task as the structural elements, i.e. the lintels, are already in place.

• PRO
    Verti-Grow
    il y a 3 ans

Hiya!

Looking at your photos, there's a lot of white walls. If you wanted to avoid actually removing walls and turning the hall space into a more engaging area we create moss art which provides a beautiful centrepiece - I've added some pictures below just to give you an idea and if you are interested we can be contacted at info@verti-grow.com or 07557534033 :)

Framed Moss Art · Plus d'infos

Crane Farm · Plus d'infos

• M B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a think about putting the door back in. Cheers

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

Your hall is a typical hall. Front doors that lead to the back garden seems to be a popular choice. On tv last night, Your Home Made perfect featured a hall that the owners hate which was altered but they had plenty of space. I can’t really suggest a change as I think your hall is perfectly adequate?

• M B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

thanks for this, Sonia. I think my worry is probably about the overall flow as the front to back hall is like a corridor and then there is a long living room in parallel to the left and a long kitchen to the right. so opening up the old door might help. but then again colour on the walls with pictures, a mirror, nice flooring and an attractive coat and shoe rack might be enough! hard to imagine how much decor will change the feel. I'll check out that episode and also have a bit more of a think. thanks very much!

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

I would love your hall, mine is so tiny so two people standing in it is one too many! Imagine when it’s painted, dressed with mirror and console table maybe, and shoe rack of course 😊 it will look amazing.

Here’s a couple of pics to inspire you!

• arc3d
    il y a 3 ans

Looks like the people living in that second house are taking lockdown very seriously.

How do they leave from that door with the tree in the way?

• M B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

thanks for the pictures! definitely want to change the banister. cheers everyone

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».