Houzz Logo Print
kaps34

Deck - tile, wood, or composite

Kerri
il y a 3 ans

We are building a first floor deck and we’re thinking of having it a tiled deck.
Does anyone have advice on the pros and cons of the different decks finishes and also differences in costs.

Commentaires (16)

• hhim
    il y a 3 ans

We’re having a similar dilemma so keen to hear everyone’s views out there. Millboard is apparently the best for a large uncovered deck, but incredibly expensive. Timber requires so much ongoing maintenance.

• C P
    il y a 3 ans

We have duralife grey garappa decking and we love it.

• Kerri
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Yes there are a lot of composite boards out there but some look really fake so will need to be careful. Also I don’t like where they have to occasionally put a screw in it sort of lifts around the screw.

• katie penfold
    il y a 3 ans

Only thing I can suggest, is not getting glossy tiles as although they look amazing, they are so easy to slip on.

• PRO
    NexGEN Decking
    il y a 2 ans

If you decide to go with Composite Decking, do your research. Get some samples, check warranties, reviews etc.

Normal hardwood decking is lower cost to purchase than most composites. However, although the initial cost of wood is less, composite usually ends up paying for itself within 2-3 years when including the cost of annual maintenance. Oiling, staining etc.

Check out NexGEN's Composite Decking - https://nexgendecking.com.au/products/select-capped-composite-decking

Backed with a lifetime performance warranty and 50 year stain and fade warranty.

• Iain Davison
    il y a 2 ans

A friend of mine has laid down Bamboo Decking from House of Bamboo. Have to say it looks great, easy to lay and comes with a wide width and various finishes or natural so you can add your own flair. Time will tell, but as it is an engineered product (think like Weathertex) it shouldn't warp, swell or cup. worth grabbing some samples in the least.

• Kerri
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Ok thanks Iain, will look into it

• macyjean
    il y a 2 ans

I'm wondering about the weight difference for a deck versus a tiled balcony? So you have nothing at the moment, you're talking about building a structure from scratch to attach to upstairs and replace a window with a door, is that the scenario?

• Kerri
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Yes that’s it. (Except no windows there to replace). I’m also wondering about the weight and if it’s heaps more expensive.

• PRO
    DECO Australia
    il y a 2 ans

Have you considered using an aluminium deck? :)

DecoDeck combines the warm, natural appearance of real timber with the superior strength and durability of aluminium.

Available in 6.5 metre decking boards, DecoDeck uses a concealed clip and screw system for fast and easy DIY installation. The strong aluminium boards mean joists can be spaced up to 600 mm apart, and the deck joiner allows decking boards to be joined between joists, minimising wastage!

https://www.decorativeimaging.com.au/building-products/decodeck/

DecoDeck · Plus d'infos

DecoDeck · Plus d'infos

Murrays Beach, NSW · Plus d'infos

Kerri a remercié DECO Australia
  • Kate
    il y a 2 ans

Deco, What is the temp variation between timber, aluminium and plastic composites?

• macyjean
    il y a 2 ans

Since no-one answered Kerri's post, I imagine a tiled balcony would be more expensive than a deck, and how much more expensive would vary depending on choice of tiles, that's my guess anyway. Another variable would be balustrades.

• Kerri
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Yes, i'd like to know the price difference so I could say if it were double the price then it wouldn't be worth it. The tiles I like so far are around the $40 sq metre.

• Kerri
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thanks Kate, yes we will be having a roof as the western sun makes it too hot in that area in summer.

• PRO
    DECO Australia
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Kate,

We currently doing testing on temperature variations with different materials but DecoDeck is definitely one of the coolest decking products on the market. Aluminium is a very good conductor of heat and always adjusts to the ambient temperature. Heat passes through DecoDeck evenly, keeping it at a comfortable temperature to walk on with bare feet.

Kerri a remercié DECO Australia
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».