Houzz Logo Print
webuser_443496199

Choosing a shower floor tile asap

Friends - I'm into a bath remodel and need to finalize my shower floor tile tonight!

Shower walls are a matte white subway tile (not bright white - leaning off white).

I chose a glass hex mosaic (right in photo) for the shower floor that now looks too white and shiny compared to the walls (maybe I'm just seeing things?)

I found a matte hex porcelain (left) that matches the subway tile perfectly.

Which one do you recommend?

Floors are gray/beige/white wood planks (yes, I stayed with them, in case you commented on my flooring post a couple days ago!).

Vanity is a medium gray with white quartz top.

Commentaires (20)

• jackowskib
    l'année dernière

Exactly what Jan says!

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié jackowskib
  • kandrewspa
    l'année dernière

I also have a matte white subway on my shower walls. I have a multi-colored (shades of gray) hexagon tile shower floor, marble threshold, and gray (slate-look) 12 X 24" floor tiles.

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié kandrewspa
  • cpartist
    l'année dernière

Didn't you ask last week for the same thing? And i asked and questioned how your shower was waterproofed.

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié cpartist
  • Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

cpartist - last week I was considering changing the flooring of the bathroom. This post was asking about the shower pan tile. No worries on the shower - I have an experienced tile guy who has thoroughly waterproofed the space.

• artemis78
    l'année dernière

I would use the matte hex of these two--glass tile seems like a problem for a shower floor independent of the colors. But agreed that a darker hex would also look nice here depending on the other finishes.

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié artemis78
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    l'année dernière

i would actually go with a gray grout on the white subway tiles the contrast looks really nice. and then do a gray hex it will pick up the floor and the grout and pull everything together

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié Focal Point Hardware
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Yes, good ideas. Appreciate it. I'm using Warm Gray grout on the subway tiles, and love that looks. I'm hesitant to go gray on the shower floor, as that will make for a lot of gray (wood plank gray/white bathroom flooring and medium gray vanity are already in the mix.)

I think I'll do the matte white hex on the shower floor and keep the shower monochromatic. But, I'll be using Iron grout on the wood planks, so I could carry that into the shower floor and use it on the white hex, too. That might also work to pull the two floors together. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    l'année dernière

yes! i like the idea of the contrast of white and gray so i think it can work

Utilisateur Houzz - 443496199 a remercié Focal Point Hardware
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

you come on her for advice, get it, and then ignore it! I advised you repeatedly on your other post not to do tile on the curb. I explained how easy it is to get a 6" quartz backsplash in bright white and use that. what's the deal? tile and grout are not waterproof. Your shower curb is not waterproofed w/any type of membrane or paint on waterproofing coating. Curbs are one of the first things to rot away in a shower. (how was the niche built? any pictures? you have tile on the bottom shelf on that too. should be a solid piece) Like this one. solid piece where the water is going to run off the most. Grout is not waterproof!

get a solid piece for the curb! And don't put the white subway tile on the outside of the curb! use the same floor tile. it's going to look weird otherwise.

Remember I showed you this one? see how the floor tile goes up the side and the solid quartz piece is on the curb? This is the correct way.

solid piece on the curb. if you like the white on the outside, do it like this w/the solid top

if you like this look, you can do it, but make sure that curb is waterproofed w/REdgard!

Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Thanks, Beth H. I appreciate all the input and consider it. I'm not ignoring suggestions - but the project is underway and I'm not able at this point to implement all of the ideas. And, to be honest, there are a variety of opinions and preferences. I think that's the strength of this forum, and I appreciate hearing from everyone.

I have a reputable and experienced contractor - he is taking care of waterproofing, etc. I trust him.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'année dernière

I have a reputable and experienced contractor - he is taking care of waterproofing, etc. I trust him.

If I had a dollar for everytime someone said this and then wrote about a dilemma, i'd be rich.

show me a picture of that curb under the tiles. lets see it.

• elcieg
    l'année dernière

This post is a perfect example of why people should not do multiple posts on the same topic/room. Everybody loses.

• User
    l'année dernière

Frooferry BS design choices are irrelevant here. You hired the wrong contractor. It will rot out within 18 months no matter what you choose to decorate over the top of the incorrectly built base.

You have a complete do over on your hands, no matter how much you try to cover your eyes and ears and stamp you feet to refuse to hear it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'année dernière

And you are ignoring some of the best advice.

Thanks, Beth H. I appreciate all the input and consider it. I'm not ignoring suggestions - but the project is underway and I'm not able at this point to implement all of the ideas. And, to be honest, there are a variety of opinions and preferences. I think tha,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is the internet. There is good advice and bad. Two pros, and more, have said address the CURB. Do as you will..I'm not even certain why you are asking.

PS: Nothing speaks "home Joe!!!" more, than a tiled curb.

• Toni McCormick
    l'année dernière

I'm taking your advice Jan! We have a total gut redo shower room job due to a poor install 17 years ago (Katrina) & recent year-long street construction. Apparently there is a leak under the shower pan which invited Formosan termites. Only way to find & fix leak is to gut everything. One tile installer said he ONLY does single curb installs (he mentioned marble) I was horrified at how it would look. Had he said SOLID piece--I would have got it!

2nd contractor (bids only at this stage) said he likes these https://www.tileredi.com/custom-shower-pans?msclkid=ab51367171e416d02fd354a160075d85&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20Branded%20Shower%20Pans&utm_term=4579053617426272&utm_content=Redi%20Your%20Way

Thoughts?

Our budget only allows Floor & Decor type tiles--not a lot of choices in New Orleans if you are avoiding "big box" stores--which we are. Will continue to look. Since NO contractor (good ones) are available for at least 3 months (peak hurricane post damage, sigh) we plan on having as MUCH of the materials as we can on hand before job starts (once a contractor is selected).

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'année dernière

@Toni McCormick

I've never used the Redi, my contractor builds to shower specs. You seem to have some tile dedicated options locally? aside from Floor and Decor?

https://www.staffordtile.com/

https://www.palatialstone.com/

• cpartist
    l'année dernière

Besides the curb, the reason I asked about waterproofing was because where the plumbing cutout is, it doesn't appear to have any waterproofing on the cement board. So again, how did he waterproof the shower? And the curb?

BTW: My friend has a "pro" who had done showers for 20+ years and came highly recommended. Guess what? Yep, she wound up having to gut everything within 2 years because of water damage behind the tile and cement board.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'année dernière

Can you take off that tile and take a picture of the curb?

did he do a mud bed? a mud curb? cement board? Kerdi?

this is mine. mud walls and mud curb. also notice my hex floor tile was put in first, so the wall tile could come down on top of it. looks much neater that way

BTW, if he was a real pro, he would have laid those mosaic floor tiles first, and then done the wall tiles. All of those edges are going to have to be cut to fit against that bottom row of tiles. you know how difficult it is to get a good cut on those small tiles? And I bet he's going to use grout. It's a no-no. Don't even say anything. ask him how he's going to fill the joints between floor/wall tile and those vertical corners. bet you dollars to donuts he grouts everything.

How was the niche built? preformed niche or cement board? if the latter, was it prepped like this

all that tape will then get a coating of thinset, ditto all the seams and holes.

The curb should have no screws at all.

For you to say "it's underway and can't do anything" is ridiculous. You're paying for the job, yes? Do you know how easy it is to go out and buy a quartz backsplash and cut it for that curb? or for the tile guy to go to a stone yard and find a remnant quartz or stone castoff?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    l'année dernière

Toni, preformed liners are fine. just make sure they are installed acording to specs.

you can order tile from Tilebar (5 samples for $5) which also sell under the IvyHill line at Wayfair.

Bedrosians is another nice choice.

Floor and decor is fine, but their quality (especially on marble and stone) can be on the lower quality-side.

Sponsorisé

Rechargez la page pour ne plus voir cette annonce spécifique

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».