Houzz Logo Print
webuser_152739717

How to make use of a fireplace in a kitchen!

L R
l'année dernière

We're turning an old lounge into a kitchen, which has this lovely brick fireplace as a feature which we would like to keep & include.
I would appreciate any comments on how to make this fit in and look 'right'! We are pretty decided on using the gaps either side for ovens & cupboards (still open to suggestions however!) But it's the actual fireplace itself we need some ideas on! We've thought about just simply turning it into a cupboard but that seems a bit of a shame, we've also thought about bringing a peice of worktop jutting from it to create a island/bar that can be sat up to...but would appreciate comments & further ideas. The measurements are as below:
The fireplace:
Width:86cm
Height:127cm
Depth:50cm (it has a inner depth of 39cm and then pillars which make it up to 50cm)
The width either side of the fireplace is 103cm to the left & 108cm to the right, with a depth of 48cm & a height of 209cm- just incase anyone has further ideas on this part of the feature too!
Would appreciate any thoughts & ideas....thank you :)

Commentaires (8)

• Sonia
    l'année dernière

It’s quite big and overbearing I feel, but if you removed the brick side areas it may be less so? Here’s some ideas which may inspire.

• PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    l'année dernière

what's on the other side? can you make it a cupboard, accessed from another room - so retaining the brick feature in the kitchen, but still making good use of the space?

• Lisa D
    l'année dernière

We turned ours into a gin bar / wine rack.

• L R
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Create Perfect - thank you so much for your reply. We have thought about using it for an oven, however we are quite tall people & dont like the thought of bending down to our oven (and we do cook quite a lot!) It's also not quite wide enough for an aga or similar style oven, which is what it seems most suited to! 

I absolutely love the project you've just completed in the Cotswolds, congratulations, it looks stunning! It helps me see that this current mess can be turned into something picture perfect! 

Thanks again for your help!

• L R
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Sonia,thank you as well for your reply. I really appreciate you finding all those images for me, so full of inspiration! I agree that it does feel a bit overbearing at present, however I think when it starts to be turned into a kitchen, with the installation of cupboards etc., the attention will be taken away from it. I was very struck by the likeness of the first image to ours - and am now deifntly considering putting the hob in the fireplace, as this seems a very practical solution! Thank you again :)

• L R
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Walk Interior Architecture & Design, thank you for your reply. It is a bedroom the other side, but your suggestion has got me thinking for the future. Perhaps if we made it cupboard for now, we could always use it from the other side in a future design? Thank you for your help!

• L R
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Lisa Dalheimer, thank you for sharing this! It looks brillant! An excellent use of space, which I'll definitely consider. Thank you again!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».