Houzz Logo Print
sarah_morris90

Should I take space from living room to create a hallway?

sarah morris
l'année dernière
Dernière modification : l'année dernière

I have just moved into a small terraced house and we wanted to create a hallway to avoid walking through the living room to get to the kitchen. The living room isnt especially big to start with & in worried this will cause the house to lose value? Eventually id like a kitchen/diner extension, so wouldnt mind the living room being a little snug in that case, i just wanted a bit of of advice & wondered if anyone else has done the same?

thank you

Commentaires (10)

• CWD
    l'année dernière

I would position furniture in the living room to create a hall walkway through the room, rather than cut off part of the room and make into a hall - the hall would be small and dark and not very inviting so you'd compromise the living room and the hall. I think you need to embrace the fact that you live in a terraced house and look at other easier ways for you to enjoy the space more. Or at least live in it for a year and see if it still bothers you after that, no need to rush to change anything if you've just moved in.

sarah morris a remercié CWD
  • PRO
    CARL Architect
    l'année dernière

Hi,

I am attaching a short video that I hope will help you.

Video link

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Carl

sarah morris a remercié CARL Architect
  • Sonia
    l'année dernière

I have the same layout in my house, but I don’t want to compromise the size of the living room so it’s staying as it is. My neighbour has the same house and square footage but with a wider, bigger hall, lovely I know, however her living room is tiny! To see how it would look for space, bring your furniture into the room as if the wall was there and see what you think.

sarah morris a remercié Sonia
  • Daisy England
    l'année dernière

Leave it as it is.

sarah morris a remercié Daisy England
  • siobhanmcgee90
    l'année dernière

The average hallway is 3.5 feet so you will be taking that from you existing room plus plasterboard for a wall so around 4foot. I think I’d opt for the bigger room thank the bigger hallway.

sarah morris a remercié siobhanmcgee90
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    l'année dernière

You can position your furniture so the rear of the sofa creates a ‘hallway effect ‘ maybe even put a sofa table behind it to give you a set down space when you enter the room ? Coat pegs to the right can also make it feel like the hallway part of a larger room.

• tab darcy
    l'année dernière

When you are ready to do the extension, have an architect look at moving your stairs. I think if it started further back and turned in, you could take just a corner off your sitting room. It would also allow for bedroom 1 to be split and make better use of the large upstairs hall.

• gold895
    l'année dernière

Leave it as it is. My last three houses were/are the same. my first house had a nice hallway but the living room was very large, but I still had to walk through the living room! you’ll get used to it and it won’t bother you. It’s natural for me!

• Utilisateur Houzz - 35435314
    l'année dernière

Leave it as is I would think. A very small hall would make it almost impossible to maneuver new furniture into your house. Embrace your new home.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».