Houzz Logo Print
debbie_siegel91

Awkward empty space next to fireplace

Debbie Siegel
l'année dernière
Dernière modification : l'année dernière

I took out a built-in from the right side of the fireplace. The one there was too big and basically unusable.

Now I have an empty space with an awkwardly placed window. And the space bumps up to the dining room.

Any ideas on what to put there?

Commentaires (9)

• K G
    l'année dernière

Can you remove the left side as well? Then I think you could do a sideboard on the dining room side and a small bookshelf or plant stand on the other side.

• PRO
    HiiGuru
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

Hello there! You can use storage units like the ones in the photo (on the left side). They come in different heights, and you can create a nice corner with them. The window will be less noticeable, and you will have a more finished look. I hope this is helpful.

• jackowskib
    l'année dernière

Without seeing the whole space, consider removing left bookcase and putting matching console on each side, with TV going on left side. Rotate sectional to create more separation from dining, and to see TV on left of fireplace. Add pretty art above fireplace. Wall color ties nicely with dining chairs and rug but not so much with sectional and fireplace. If budget allows look to change wall color to a softer grey/taupe color that compliments with the wood elements in the space and fireplace.

• kl23
    l'année dernière

Ah, the changes that take place when something like real books become less essential. Notice I didn't say obsolete (to all you book lovers out there). Yes, remove those shelves. Decorating deep black holes with clutter is not decorating, though Lord knows I tried in my impoverished period. Throw it away, put it in a drawer, and select a few very nice things to display when ready. We all look forward to more pictures showing the entire space. And give Jan a special treat by providing dimensions of everything you plan to keep (in inches, not feet) and she may pass her magic wand over it and give you a very special room, if you're lucky and if you do what she says.

• kl23
    l'année dernière

I'd love to stick the TV anywhere else. The way it leans out from the fireplace is freaking me out. Maybe where the current shelves are now will hide it. Lower down, maybe over a small chest of drawers where you can stash all your stuff. Maybe a little out from the wall and on an arm you can tilt slightly to face the seating when watching and flat when not. Or on a table stand that swivels (lower tech, lower cost).

• kl23
    l'année dernière

Looks to me like you are the one who likes that orange, so you may not appreciate suggestions to change. It lacks dimension though. Can you enhance it with some deeper similar color like cordovan leather or a wood in a dark red-orange (candle bases?) Or dark red orange velvet drapery panels? And then spike it all with a small amount of turquoise, like in a crazed vase or bowl. That would enhance what must be a favorite color for you and would embrace the gray too.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    l'année dernière

Can you recreate the built-in that's on the left on the right side so that it is symmetrical about your fireplace - windows and built-ins.

• PRO
    LiLu Interiors
    il y a 10 mois

Maybe a very large plant that will semi cover the small window? You might also look into getting a small roman shade to put in the window as well. Notice the plants in the two designs below:

Art of Family: Family Room · Plus d'infos

Art of Family: Home Office · Plus d'infos

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».