Houzz Logo Print
alma2023

Kitchen extractor fan wrong size - Advice please

Al
il y a 2 mois

New kitchen, had requested 110cm extractor fan, kitchen designer ordered 90cm. Contract states 90cm and kitchen designer not budging on it. Love my new kitchen, but really disappointed with this. Designer knew kitchen measurements and knew my preferences. What to do?

I don't think extending chimney to sloped ceiling will work as both sides of extractors look wrong
add more kitchen cabinets at either side of extractor fan and cover top keeping in line with width and height of existing cabinets
Buy new 110cm extractor fan, but just finished a large renovation and won't be able to do this for sometime
other - open to all suggestions. Really disappointed with kitchen designer and lack of interest.

Commentaires (12)

• Isla Cherry
    il y a 2 mois

No you definitely need the correct size extractor. The extractor needs to be at least the width of the range cooker/hob. I am assuming you did not check the details of the order before approving it. You really need to get the specifications in writing and sign it off before anything is paid. Not surprised that the "designer" is not interested. They made a mistake and are too arrogant to admit it. So disappointing I really feel for you. I'm afraid if it says 900mm on the order you don't have a case against them. I would save up or borrow the money, buy the correct one and try and sell the smaller current one as it is virtually new.

• Al
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 mois

Thanks Isla, I agree. The only proper solution is a new extractor. Just so disappointed with kitchen designer. Thanks for advice

• Isla Cherry
    il y a 2 mois

I really feel for you. To have gone through all that disruption and the excitement of a new kitchen only to end up with such a disappointment. A lot of companies take your money and then do nothing to help when mistakes are made. As you told the designer what you wanted I think they should bear some of the cost of a correctly sized replacement however the mistake was made. It's not what you requested.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    il y a 2 mois

Have you tried living with it and if so does it work or can you see that steam [for example] escaping up the sides of the extractor. Ideally this extractor would be ducted to outside, if its in recirculating mode than you're going to struggle as all it does is 'clean' the air and having it at 1100 wide may make minimal difference. The power of the extractor to the size of the room is also very important, ideally the maximum extraction rate of the appliance should be 10x the volume of your room.

Also there's lots of contemporary extractors on the market today which aren't shaped to match the footprint of the hob below, some are cylindrical tubes and others look like glorified light fittings so having a matching extractor to the hob below isn't always a customers requirement if they prefer a particular look/design.

To use the extractor properly, ideally turn the extractor on when you start to prep your food, so then the air in the room will be circulating towards the extractor when you start cooking. Having a gas hob helps as this is considered a 'hot' heat [electric hobs are 'cool' heat] as the effect of the gas flames warms the air so you have columns of rising warm air around the cooking steam and smells so it doesn't fan out as it rises, so in practice you may 'get away with it'. Bear in mind with most extractors, having a wider version doesn't mean that the motor is any wider inside the extractor and a lot of them may be only the glass surround is wider for a 1000 wide to a 600 wide unit for example.

As Isla stated, unfortunately in the suppliers terms and conditions the onus would be upon you to make sure that everything is suitable even though your kitchen supplier has supplied the appliances, which does seem unfair as you the customer is not a professional and a lot of what you see in a listing is a load of codes and shorthand descriptions.

If you purchased from a local independant than possibly you mentioning that you find their service very disappointing and that you will be leaving a negative review may help, but if you've purchased from a national like wren, then they will just say 'you signed' and couldn't give a f$£% if you leave a bad review.

Al a remercié Lifestyle Kitchens
  • PRO
    Al a remercié SLAWBUD BUILDERS COMPANY
  • Al
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 mois

Thanks for all the advice to date. It really helps to get other opinions.

Lifestyle kitchens - the kitchen designer stated that we did not need an outlet point, our builder had actually created one, but reversed it as the kitchen designer wasn't happy to extend the chimney to meet the ceiling. Our kitchen is large as the dining area is around the corner in an open plan. I have no choice but to live with it currently, but hearing other peoples opinion is great.

Slawbud Builders Company - that photo is exactly how I pictured my extractor fan and exactly what I wanted!! Thank you. Looks great

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    il y a 2 mois

Hi AI

If your builder had created a vent outlet, is that because the kitchen was in an extension/modified area? reason is that if Building Control are involved than you maybe not meeting current building regs by not having suitable extraction, basically unless you're replacing like for like in the original room than you either need to duct out or have a 60l/sec wall extractor.

If you've moved the kitchen, knocked through or extended than you need to comply.

All in PartF of building regs.

• Al
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 mois

Thanks for advice, will discuss with builder. We repurposed part of the house and moved the kitchen to the altered area. It is a sloped roof and builder was happy to source a roof tile to allow for extraction through the roof. Will discuss with him, thanks for info

• PRO
    SAR Interiors Ltd.
    il y a 2 mois

I would check the order, if you’d agreed to the 90cm on the order likely they can hold you to this as was agreed prior. However with the cut glass and the colour of the wall it does look too small. If they are a supplier and designer they should have a relationship with the appliance company and be able to get the right size at a good price and in favor of a good review you’d think they’d want to make sure all went well. If not I would source one yourself and put the other on eBay to reclaim some money back

• Isla Cherry
    il y a 2 mois

At what point was this error picked up? Which was fixed first the extractor hood or the splashback? If you ordered it all through one company this should have been noticed long before fixing extractor in place. A lot of kitchen designers are kitchen sales designers emphasis on sales and with very little if any design qualifications or experience. I have worked amongst them. It sounds as though your builder has good experience and is thorough.

• Al
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 mois

Hi, thanks for all responses and sorry for delay in getting back to chat. Extractor and fan fitted before Xmas, worktop and splashback just after Xmas followed by painted. Didn't realise it was 90 until splashback went up. Think I may have to live with for now. Thanks for all advice

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».